The Labour Leadership Campaign

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think this is a disaster for the Labour party and by extension therefore the country. There is literally no chance of Corbyn ever being prime minister, none at all. He's just simply not credible, even without the right wing press, I'd personally struggle to vote for him myself. Unlike Foot, he's not even an intellectual heavy weight and for me is unimpressive in debates.

This is a fucking stupid, insane protest vote that has ensured 10 more years of these Tory cunts at the helm. Don't kid yourselves otherwise and don't kid yourselves all parties are/were the same. It's a disaster for the public services and those that work in them or use them.

Time will tell, but I didn't see any of the candidates dislodging the Tories next time out, so we've lost nothing in my oninion. Labour was totally faceless and directionless.

Time will tell, but I didn't see any of the candidates dislodging the Tories next time out, so we've lost nothing in my oninion. Labour was totally faceless and directionless.

Time won't tell though will it, because when the next election is a confirmed disaster like in 83, you'll be able to say 'Burnham would have made no difference'. Well I'm a realist, and would much rather take a punt on a candidate with some chance of winning (against the likes of Johnson ffs! 😃) than none at all. I'm guessing you and the others are too young to remember 83 tbh.

We have a situation now where the leader of the Labour party literally hardly has the support of a single MP. The Labour party is being led by an idealist who scraped 2 E's at A level and flunked a degree at one of the worst polytechnics in the country, despite having a relatively privileged education. Does this man inspire confidence? People are celebrating over this? Fuck me, I'm more depressed now about politics than at any time in the past 30 years.

Well, taking all things together, including the fact he seems to have a typical sixth former's view on politics, then to me it is very relevant. I want the leader of this country to be highly intelligent (an important characteristic, surely?), Corbyn doesn't fit the bill.

Time won't tell though will it, because when the next election is a confirmed disaster like in 83, you'll be able to say 'Burnham would have made no difference'. Well I'm a realist, and would much rather take a punt on a candidate with some chance of winning (against the likes of Johnson ffs! 😃) than none at all. I'm guessing you and the others are too young to remember 83 tbh.

We have a situation now where the leader of the Labour party literally hardly has the support of a single MP. The Labour party is being led by an idealist who scraped 2 E's at A level and flunked a degree at one of the worst polytechnics in the country, despite having a relatively privileged education. Does this man inspire confidence? People are celebrating over this? Fuck me, I'm more depressed now about politics than at any time in the past 30 years.

We've just had a total confirmed disaster at the last election by the way. If the blands can't defeat a minority government with the biggest set of, well, as near to evil bastards you'll get in a British cabinet, then what is the point? The fact that they ended up with a majority is staggering and says it all for me about the way Labour has tried to walk on eggshells. Is this a protest vote? So fucking what? I honestly don't see how you think any of the rest could galvanise the actual Labour party anymore? (I'm not talking about career politicians but grass roots supporters). Give the fucka a chance, man! He barely got a degree? Having met some absolute fucking spanners in my working life who have, I'm not that arsed to be completely honest. He needs, (Labour needs), to take the game to the Tories instead of fannying about with some kind of guilt complex which has played into the Tories hands, and the hands of their backers in the media so much. Have a bit of hope, for fucks sake.

Time won't tell though will it, because when the next election is a confirmed disaster like in 83, you'll be able to say 'Burnham would have made no difference'. Well I'm a realist, and would much rather take a punt on a candidate with some chance of winning (against the likes of Johnson ffs! ) than none at all. I'm guessing you and the others are too young to remember 83 tbh.

Fair point on time not telling :lol:

I dunno mate, I was utterly disillusioned with them and wouldn't have voted for them any further. Maybe they've lost more than they stand to gain, but I considered them a lost cause anyway. The Tories defeated NuLabour and severed it's head, this is something else.

We've just had a total confirmed disaster at the last election by the way. If the blands can't defeat a minority government with the biggest set of, well, as near to evil bastards you'll get in a British cabinet, then what is the point? The fact that they ended up with a majority is staggering and says it all for me about the way Labour has tried to walk on eggshells. Is this a protest vote? So fucking what? I honestly don't see how you think any of the rest could galvanise the actual Labour party anymore? (I'm not talking about career politicians but grass roots supporters). Give the fucka a chance, man! He barely got a degree? Having met some absolute fucking spanners in my working life who have, I'm not that arsed to be completely honest. He needs, (Labour needs), to take the game to the Tories instead of fannying about with some kind of guilt complex which has played into the Tories hands, and the hands of their backers in the media so much. Have a bit of hope, for fucks sake.

Absolutely.

Ed Miliband lost the election, he was a fucking awful choice of leader. His brother would have won. It WOULD have made some positive difference, not as much as you and me would have liked perhaps, but at least some difference.

I'd describe myself as centre left wing, there are millions of voting people like me out there. Can I vote for a man who wants us out of NATO and possibly the EU? I'm honestly not sure I can. If Labour can lose my vote, they will be utterly annihilated at the next election, mark my words.

Ed Miliband lost the election, he was a fucking awful choice of leader. His brother would have won. It WOULD have made some positive difference, not as much as you and me would have liked perhaps, but at least some difference.

I'd describe myself as centre left wing, there are millions of voting people like me out there. Can I vote for a man who wants us out of NATO and possibly the EU? I'm honestly not sure I can. If Labour can lose my vote, they will be utterly annihilated at the next election, mark my words.

Davd Milliband might have won it, but if he was as mealy mouthed as the rest who knows? If the man attacks the real enemies out there in Downing Street and their backers, if he can get the party to at least realise that they need lift their heads and stop wringing their hands, if the party MP's can work with him for the greater good and people who might not have voted last time, now vote.......then who knows? it's worth a change of tack in my honest opinion.

Don't rule out momentum as well.

Seriously, what momentum? Any positive vibes you're feeling are entirely illusory believe me, and not shared by the large majority of the electorate.

History definitely repeats itself, I can actually envisage this could split the Labour party, with a new centre left party forming, like the SDP in the 80s. Who knows, maybe this time such a split party might even be successful this time round. Christ knows we need something to counter the right in this country, but Corbyn is never going to be the answer, imo, of course.

Anyhow, that's my contribution. Takes a lot to get me motivated enough to post at all these days, but thought I'd give you the opinion of a former Labour member (and part activist) for some perspective on today's result. Not everyone is happy.

Labour tearing itself apart already. Going to be interesting times.

Interestingly, if Labour self destruct, I'd expect the tories to follow suit, they are also a massively divided party, and without the focus of Labour.....

I wouldn't describe the Times ahead of us as interesting anyway, I think they're quite frightening. The country, Europe and the world are a mess. All entertainment to you though......

Brilliant day, not just for labour but for UK politics. Finally we have an opposition again. Let's see the Tory narrative of lies about the economy challenged and defeated and young people engaged again. Brilliant stuff. And with a leader who looks like a sixth form humanities teacher at the helm, what could go wrong?

I dunno about this. As someone who lived thru the Thatcher and Blair years, it has less of a new dawn about it and more of a desperate last throw of the dice. Corbyn seems to be a a retro politician and with the media largely against him, might struggle a la Michael Foot whilst his party shakes itself to pieces. I don't know if he has the charisma and vision to hold it together to either lead a charge vs the tories or build a legacy for someone else. He'll certainly need people to rally round him as the press will go after him. Anyway good luck and all that.