The Hundred Pushup Challenge

Andrew

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started this the other day in a bid to loose my moobs. So far so good, I just need to stick with it. I'm great at starting something, missing it once then forgetting about it for about 3 months!

Is this to do with the "skinny arms" jibes from the materialism thread, Andrew?

hehe, no actually just part of a get fit attempt, I've been shite over the last year, done nothing and im starting to feel it, never been big muscley type but Ive always been fit before

Started this the other day in a bid to loose my moobs. So far so good, I just need to stick with it. I'm great at starting something, missing it once then forgetting about it for about 3 months!

this too is one of the reasons I put it on here, if i can get a bit of competition going with anyone it'll spur me on

Good technique. :wub:

My motto is why do it today if it can be put off until tomorrow! That needs to change though

My motto is why do it today if it can be put off until tomorrow! That needs to change though

Doing things is wildly overrated.

I've been doing some press ups recently cos my arms are like wet pipe cleaners.

Can still only do about 15 in one go after a few weeks so I'll give this a go.

Bet you I finish first Andrew. :wub:

;)

Well as comparison, the initial test (ie do pushups til you can't anymore) yielded 23 for me which apparently means I should start at week 3, however I'm disregarding that and starting at the top level on week 1

Can any of the physicists tell me if it's harder to do a press up if you're taller?

As a tall person I've always insisted it is, but I've always doubted my own rationality.

If you do a pussy press up with your knee down it's a piece of piss, presumably because although the weight you're lifting is only slightly reduced, the fulcrum is much closer to the centre of mass.

I suppose the shorter person's weight/arm length in proportion to height is greater so I can see it being just as difficult.

But I need it confirmed, does Wacky need less force to a manage a press up than I do (assuming equal BMI)?

:wub:

Edited by Happy Face

push ups will only do so much for your arms. mix them up with chin ups so you work bicep as well as tricep.

100 push ups isn't impossible. trying to get anywhere near 100 push ups done with proper technique and pace - pretty slow in other words - is murder

push ups will only do so much for your arms. mix them up with chin ups so you work bicep as well as tricep.

100 push ups isn't impossible. trying to get anywhere near 100 push ups done with proper technique and pace - pretty slow in other words - is murder

I think thats sort of the point

I am mixing it up anyway, various other workouts involved for me but this is the only thing thats got a website and a proper schedule

I think thats sort of the point

I am mixing it up anyway, various other workouts involved for me but this is the only thing thats got a website and a proper schedule

i haven't looked at the plan. is it a total body workout? i trained only upper body for years but it wasn't until i spread the work around legs and back that i got the results i wanted. i basically threw a shitload of money away at the gym for about 3 years doing endless bicep curls and bench press without seeing any gains before i took the time to learn how to train properly.

in my opinion, the best routines are built around a small selection of basic compound excercises that work all the major muscle groups in the body and are performed using free weights that work stabiliser muscles, never machines that only focus on isloated muscle groups.

do a selection of 6 from this lot 4 or 5 times a week - squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, pull up, bent over row, lunges, dips. do 5 sets of 5, using the heaviest weight you can lift while maintaing correct form. combine that with a sensible nutrition plan and i gurantee you will be amazed at the results.

sorry if i'm preaching to the converted. it may be that your plan already looks a lot like this. just always keen to help others avoid wasting the time and money i did before i got in to real training.

well the hundred thing is purely based on pushups, there are others but its kind of just for the challenge, everything else is left up to you

I've done no excercise whatsoever for at least a year apart from some occasional chin ups when i remember too. Just done 20 pushups although when i was doing them regular i could easily manage 30+. I might give this a go.

Can any of the physicists tell me if it's harder to do a press up if you're taller?

As a tall person I've always insisted it is, but I've always doubted my own rationality.

If you do a pussy press up with your knee down it's a piece of piss, presumably because although the weight you're lifting is only slightly reduced, the fulcrum is much closer to the centre of mass.

I suppose the shorter person's weight/arm length in proportion to height is greater so I can see it being just as difficult.

But I need it confirmed, does Wacky need less force to a manage a press up than I do (assuming equal BMI)?

:wub:

I'm 6"2 and have no problems doing push-ups.

You should forget this 100 push-ups malarkey and try my 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups in 4 minutes challenge. Doesn't matter how many of each you do in succession, just need to get 100 of each done in 4 minutes. ;)

If you want bigger arms push ups are less than useless. At best you'll end up with toned triceps but not much size.

As someone said earlier chin ups are are good option, change up your grip betweeen wide/narrow/overhand/underhand.

I also swear by drop sets. Do alternate dumbell curls with the heaviest weight you can do until you can't do anymore (usually around 6 - 8) drop the weights and pick up lighter bells and go again. Repeat until your on pathtically light weights but can't lift anymore.

Repeat the process for 2-3 sets and always do at the end of your workout.

You have to pay as much attention to your triceps as well.

Edited by Geordieracer

If you want bigger arms push ups are less than useless. At best you'll end up with toned triceps but not much size.

As someone said earlier chin ups are are good option, change up your grip betweeen wide/narrow/overhand/underhand.

I also swear by drop sets. Do alternate dumbell curls with the heaviest weight you can do until you can't do anymore (usually around 6 - 8) drop the weights and pick up lighter bells and go again. Repeat until your on pathtically light weights but can't lift anymore.

Repeat the process for 2-3 sets and always do at the end of your workout.

You have to pay as much attention to your triceps as well.

You seem clued up on this shit, will pushups help shift my moobs? I'm also doing cardio as well like as I know that will help.