The Hundred Pushup Challenge

Andrew

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want bigger arms push ups are less than useless. At best you'll end up with toned triceps but not much size.

As someone said earlier chin ups are are good option, change up your grip betweeen wide/narrow/overhand/underhand.

I also swear by drop sets. Do alternate dumbell curls with the heaviest weight you can do until you can't do anymore (usually around 6 - 8) drop the weights and pick up lighter bells and go again. Repeat until your on pathtically light weights but can't lift anymore.

Repeat the process for 2-3 sets and always do at the end of your workout.

You have to pay as much attention to your triceps as well.

You seem clued up on this shit, will pushups help shift my moobs? I'm also doing cardio as well like as I know that will help.

Pushups will tone your chest but won't actually shift any fat. You need cardio and a clean diet for that.

I suggest High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). This is basically any form of intensive anaeorobic activity followed by rest.

i.e. Sprint 50 metres, walk back to the start, sprint 50 metres, walk back to the start. Repeat for as long as you can (I aim for 20 minutes).

This pisses all over aerobic (steady activity for longer periods) for fat loss.

Hill sprints are a killer but another great way of dropping fat. Basically as above but find a hill with a decent gradient.

If you want bigger arms push ups are less than useless. At best you'll end up with toned triceps but not much size.

As someone said earlier chin ups are are good option, change up your grip betweeen wide/narrow/overhand/underhand.

I also swear by drop sets. Do alternate dumbell curls with the heaviest weight you can do until you can't do anymore (usually around 6 - 8) drop the weights and pick up lighter bells and go again. Repeat until your on pathtically light weights but can't lift anymore.

You seem clued up on this shit, will pushups help shift my moobs? I'm also doing cardio as well like as I know that will help.

pushups will help but might not be enough alone to get the results you want. the best way to decrease body fat is to combine cardio (high intensity interval training is a good option) with the kind of total body training plan i outlined earlier and a sensible calorie deficit - in other words, don't starve yourself but eat around 100-200 calores below your calorie maintenance level.

Can any of the physicists tell me if it's harder to do a press up if you're taller?

As a tall person I've always insisted it is, but I've always doubted my own rationality.

If you do a pussy press up with your knee down it's a piece of piss, presumably because although the weight you're lifting is only slightly reduced, the fulcrum is much closer to the centre of mass.

I suppose the shorter person's weight/arm length in proportion to height is greater so I can see it being just as difficult.

But I need it confirmed, does Wacky need less force to a manage a press up than I do (assuming equal BMI)?

:wub:

I'm 6"2 and have no problems doing push-ups.

Congratulations shorty. Still doesn't tell me if more force is required the taller you are. ;)

Pushups will tone your chest but won't actually shift any fat. You need cardio and a clean diet for that.

I suggest High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). This is basically any form of intensive anaeorobic activity followed by rest.

i.e. Sprint 50 metres, walk back to the start, sprint 50 metres, walk back to the start. Repeat for as long as you can (I aim for 20 minutes).

Hill sprints are a killer but another great way of dropping fat. Basically as above but find a hill with a decent gradient.

I'll try this interval training, at the min Im running between 4-6 miles 3 times a week at a steady pace and dont seem to be able to get lower than 13 clem.

Edited by Anth

Fop would love this shit.

I miss him talking about himself in third person!

Did he ever resurface after the thread about body building? I'm pretty sure he had some sort of breakdown or episode iirc?

I'll try this interval training, at the min Im running between 4-6 miles 3 times a week at a steady pace and dont seem to be able to get lower than 13 clem.

Sometimes that's your bodies way of telling you you're at the right weight however if you're blessed with Moobs then I doubt that's the case. As DG mentioned you need a calorie deficit to lose weight.

It's no good training your arse off whilst still nailing pies and bathing in Guinness.

Also helps if you're doing something you enjoy. Running bores the arse off me.

Boxing is my sport and although I don't do it competitively anymore I still get down the gym a fair bit. Knacking the bags and sparring is far better than pounding the pavement and a great stress relaease.

Sometimes that's your bodies way of telling you you're at the right weight however if you're blessed with Moobs then I doubt that's the case. As DG mentioned you need a calorie deficit to lose weight.

It's no good training your arse off whilst still nailing pies and bathing in Guinness.

To be honest I used to be skinnier than that until I discovered beer at Uni, I suppose I just want to loose me gut and moobs though Im not obsessive about or or anything!

Boxing is my sport and although I don't do it competitively anymore I still get down the gym a fair bit. Knacking the bags and sparring is far better than pounding the pavement and a great stress relaease.

Aye running can get tedious, Ive starded Badminton though with a mate, I thought it would be fairly easy but it buckled me and it was good fun.

Aye running can get tedious, Ive starded Badminton though with a mate, I thought it would be fairly easy but it buckled me and it was good fun.

Whatever keeps you motivated - I'd say squash is a bit more macho than badminton however......

Whatever keeps you motivated - I'd say squash is a bit more macho than badminton however......

Ive never bothered looking up the rules for squash like, Badminton isnt macho like but Its good fun!

Fop would love this shit.

I miss him talking about himself in third person!

Did he ever resurface after the thread about body building? I'm pretty sure he had some sort of breakdown or episode iirc?

No, that - of all things! - was the thread that finally broke him. ;)

Cheers Parky will do, I'll post photos of the results.

Hey baybeh. :wub:

got to agree with those that hate running; it really is the most tedious form of excercise. i get most of my cardio from spinning and short sessions of high intensity interval sprints on the treadmill for 15 minutes at the end of a workout.

Ive never bothered looking up the rules for squash like, Badminton isnt macho like but Its good fun!

FYI you cant spot reduce fat. You can do all the push ups in the world, while they do work pecs, thats nothing to do with fat reduction which is a different thing all together.

HIIT is a good method for fat burning.

But just know that fat burning and muscle growth are two very different things.

Geordieracer has posted pretty much every word I would have in this thread :wub:

Boxing is fucking awesome, sprint training or HIIT is much better for losing weight without losing muscle, it's a lot quicker and a lot more enjoyable.

push ups will only do so much for your arms. mix them up with chin ups so you work bicep as well as tricep.

100 push ups isn't impossible. trying to get anywhere near 100 push ups done with proper technique and pace - pretty slow in other words - is murder

I think thats sort of the point

I am mixing it up anyway, various other workouts involved for me but this is the only thing thats got a website and a proper schedule

i haven't looked at the plan. is it a total body workout? i trained only upper body for years but it wasn't until i spread the work around legs and back that i got the results i wanted. i basically threw a shitload of money away at the gym for about 3 years doing endless bicep curls and bench press without seeing any gains before i took the time to learn how to train properly.

in my opinion, the best routines are built around a small selection of basic compound excercises that work all the major muscle groups in the body and are performed using free weights that work stabiliser muscles, never machines that only focus on isloated muscle groups.

do a selection of 6 from this lot 4 or 5 times a week - squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, pull up, bent over row, lunges, dips. do 5 sets of 5, using the heaviest weight you can lift while maintaing correct form. combine that with a sensible nutrition plan and i gurantee you will be amazed at the results.

sorry if i'm preaching to the converted. it may be that your plan already looks a lot like this. just always keen to help others avoid wasting the time and money i did before i got in to real training.

Aye thats pretty much spot on - i have used the 5x5 stronglift regime for 8 weeks then used a more hypertrophic schedule for 8 weeks and as you say the results are really good - diet for me is the real cornerstone - eat loads of protein, loads of veg and fruit, loads of porridge and drink gallons of water and you'll be alreet

Done day 3 and feel better having done it than I have after either of the first two

You will. Not sure about training the same muscles every day though :wub:

3 days a week, mon/wed/fri

I have mentioned its not all I'm doing I just stuck this up on the forum cause its the only thing im on at the moment thats got a little online program thing, make a bit of friendly comp to encourage myself and maybe those like me who fancy starting to get in shape but whose motivation always falls away after a few weeks

• 3 weeks later...
Hows everyone doing?

I've managed to do zero so far. But have hit all my targets. :)

Finished week one the other day (day three really hurt), should have started week two yesterday but felt shattered from a savage weekend. Day one of Week two starts tomorow!