Summer Holidays

Jimbo

Leaving this morning for Cornwall. Up at daft o clock to make sure we're there in time for the match.

Clotted Cream teas mmmmm

I lived in North Cornwall for a while, just inland from Boscastle. Beautiful spot.

Where you going?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a Friends villa in Hisaronu (near Oludeniz) in Turkey for me the Misses and daughters for 2 weeks

Its my first time in Turkey but everyone I have spoken too loves it

Not too sure about the 40+ heat though as I'm away there in the middle of August

As mentioned, me and wor lass are looking at booking up for next yeare.

Thinking of somewhere like Cuba, Mexico etc. However I really don't know where to start, does anyone have any decent sites to look at etc?

sounds brilliant. Try ringing a company like Trailfinders and they'll price you for all the flights.

Long drive that.

Aye and we've got as far as Durham services and she needs a piss!

Near Padstow, Monkey. Any good?

Aye, I was just north of there.

Check out Trebarwith Strand, and further north, Widemouth Bay has fantastic beaches.

Avoid Tintagel like the plague- tourist overkill.

Buy a 3litre bottle of pepsi and a funnel, pour the pepsi out and Mrs Gemmill has her very own Travel Toilet :lol:

Not a holiday (that's in a fortnight or so) but I've just got back off a stag do in Scotland. One night in Glasgow followed by two nights at an outdoor activity centre on Loch Linnie, Argyll and Bute. Canyonning was great.

Had a cracking weekend in some of the most beautiful scenery in the country.

I would really like to go back and see some more of the Highlands, especially the Western Isles. BUT I would be put off by the hordes of midges which ate me to bits. What a pain in the arse the little bastards are.

Not a holiday (that's in a fortnight or so) but I've just got back off a stag do in Scotland. One night in Glasgow followed by two nights at an outdoor activity centre on Loch Linnie, Argyll and Bute. Canyonning was great.

I would really like to go back and see some more of the Highlands, especially the Western Isles. BUT I would be put off by the hordes of midges which ate me to bits. What a pain in the arse the little bastards are.

I'm getting a midge net, even if it does make you look like a twat.

headnetf.jpg

I'm getting a midge net, even if it does make you look like a twat.

headnetf.jpg

Jacks Rake chin minge strikes again!

Spending my last few days in Kuala Lumpur now before we fly over to Siem Reap on Sunday. It is INCREDIBLY cheap and INCREDIBLY hot. Having a full curry for about 50p, and everyone is so easy to haggle with that it will be a massive shock to come back to the UK. Plus everyone says Malaysia is the most expensive place to stay, so it should only get cheaper as we head on to Cambodia/Vietnam. Traveled to the coast for a few days but it wasn't anything special, so just counting down the days until Cambodia.

Time difference is a bitch. We are staying up now because England kick off at 2.30am here! Oh well!

• 2 weeks later...

Girlfriend, her sister and I have just booked a holiday on Lanzarote.

Just went somewhere cheap hope its all right. but as long as its sunny and I can have a beer and there is not a laptop in sight i'll be happy. :(

Just went somewhere cheap hope its all right. but as long as its sunny and I can have a beer and there is not a laptop in sight i'll be happy. :(

Lanzarote's never bad really, especially if you're after something a bit quieter (well, most of the time anyway). Whereabouts are you staying?

Having your main holiday for the year before the summer even starts is a right downer. :D Just booked a weekend break to bloody Utrecht in bloody November. Romantic or what.

Yeah a bit quieter is the idea. (Playa Blanca) I was just wanting somewhere cheap since we are talking her little sister.

Utrecht in November a bit like say the rest of the UK weather wise? How come you can't go in summer?

Just went somewhere cheap hope its all right. but as long as its sunny and I can have a beer and there is not a laptop in sight i'll be happy. :D

Lanzarote's never bad really, especially if you're after something a bit quieter (well, most of the time anyway). Whereabouts are you staying?

Having your main holiday for the year before the summer even starts is a right downer. :angry:Just booked a weekend break to bloody Utrecht in bloody November. Romantic or what.

Sorry Meenzer, but :(.

What possessed you?

Btw, I was going to start a thread on this but here'll do.

Has anyone noticed how shit Newcastle airport destinations are nowadays? There's hardly anywhere decent to go, it either commuter flights, chartered flights, or scheduled flights to charter destinations. Nice has been cut from every day to twice a week, and is stopping altogether this winter. Milan has gone. Is Rome still available? So that leaves Barcelona.

We've got Dubai for the Asian destinations but nothing to the US or North America. Basically it means a trip to Manchester, Glasgow, or London to go anywhere interesting. :(

Guest alex

Has anyone noticed how shit Newcastle airport destinations are nowadays? There's hardly anywhere decent to go, it either commuter flights, chartered flights, or scheduled flights to charter destinations. Nice has been cut from every day to twice a week, and is stopping altogether this winter. Milan has gone. Is Rome still available? So that leaves Barcelona.

We've got Dubai for the Asian destinations but nothing to the US or North America. Basically it means a trip to Manchester, Glasgow, or London to go anywhere interesting. :(

You can go direct to America but I think it's charter only in the summer though. I've been noticing this for a while - Prague and Berlin stopped a good while ago. I think you can still go to Rome Ciampino with EasyJet but I couldn't swear to that. You can still go to Amsterdam as well. Btw, a decent option could be flying from Leeds/Bradford with Jet2 as it's their base so all the destinations they fly to are available from there.

You can go direct to America but I think it's charter only in the summer though. I've been noticing this for a while - Prague and Berlin stopped a good while ago. I think you can still go to Rome Ciampino with EasyJet but I couldn't swear to that. You can still go to Amsterdam as well. Btw, a decent option could be flying from Leeds/Bradford with Jet2 as it's their base so all the destinations they fly to are available from there.

Cheers for the tip, I didn't know that. Still a canny hike though, for a short break.

I think I may give Oslo a go before this is scrapped from Newcastle as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations of places to stay at Lindisfarne?

Renton I'm looking at you. ;)

I spent a night at the Manor house hotel last year around this time as it happens. It's probably the biggest accomodation on the Island and was quite a high standard but nothing extraordinary - gets good reviews on trip advisor though. It's about £100 per room B&B, a bit pricey but then everything there is with it being a closed market. Good thing was you can book for one night only, unlike some where you have to stay longer.

A few years ago when I really needed some solitude I rented a small cottage there for a week. Can't remember what it was called now - it cost £400 for the week.

There's definitely something magical about Holy Island. When the tides come in and the day trippers go home it's much better. If you walk to the North of the Island, and it's nice, you may find yourself with an entire beach to yourself.

Bamburgh is a good alternative if you're not trying to shun human life altogether however. :icon_lol: