Gazza 'seriously hurt' in crash

Craig

Paul Gascoigne in hospital after car crash in Newcastle

Ex-footballer Paul Gascoigne is in a "serious but not life-threatening" condition in hospital after a car crash in Newcastle upon Tyne.

The incident, involving a Vauxhall Astra, happened on Sunday at 2145 BST at Sandhill, on the city's Quayside, police said.

The car, in which Mr Gascoigne was a passenger, is thought to have left the road and hit a signpost.

A 36-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of drinking and driving.

A spokesperson for Newcastle General Hospital, where the former England midfielder and another man are being treated, described the condition of the pair as "serious but not life-threatening".

The female driver of the dark blue Astra was also taken to the hospital but has since been discharged.

The crash happened next to Newcastle's Guildhall and close to the Tyne Bridge.

Joyce Wemyss, manager of the nearby Bob Trollopes and Red House bars, was working a late shift.

She said: "I just heard the sounds of tyres screeching very loud and saw a dark blue car come pelting round the corner from under the Tyne Bridge.

"The driver lost control and went smack into the side of the Guildhall, hitting the taxi rank sign as it went.

"There was a lot of smoke coming from the car and all the cabbies from the rank outside the pub went running over.

"They pulled out the driver, a woman, and got on the phone to the emergency services."

She added: "I had no idea Gazza was a passenger. It had been dead quiet on the Quayside that night and he had not been drinking in here.

"I hope he's all right."

A former player with Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, Lazio, Glasgow Rangers and Middlesbrough, Mr Gascoigne was a star of England's 1990 World Cup team in Italy.

He tried his hand at management at Kettering Town in 2005, but was sacked after 39 days.

The 43-year-old, of Jesmond Park, Newcastle, has faced a long battle with alcohol and drugs.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10309517.stm

:lol:

the eyewitnesses say it was a lass who they pulled out of the drivers seat - it's a nasty corner - especially if you're speeding... and pissed................

Paul has serious problems upstairs, and probably needs to be discreetly sectioned for his own good. I think he'll be dead before the next world cup. I do feel sorry for him every time this sort of thing happens.

Funnily enough someone my lass works with saw Gazza driving like an absolute cunt in Heaton about a week ago.

Strangely enough I saw what looked like Jimmy 5 bellies driving one of them Vauxhall VX220 thingys in Heaton last week. Looked a right daft fat twat in int :)

Funnily enough someone my lass works with saw Gazza driving like an absolute cunt in Heaton about a week ago.

Strangely enough I saw what looked like Jimmy 5 bellies driving one of them Vauxhall VX220 thingys in Heaton last week. Looked a right daft fat twat in int :)

Did you see him on the news last week? Goes to the gym all the time now apparently. Still looked like a walking heart attack like. Quite how him getting fit is newsworthy is way beyond me as well :)

Paul has serious problems upstairs, and probably needs to be discreetly sectioned for his own good. I think he'll be dead before the next world cup. I do feel sorry for him every time this sort of thing happens.

Difficult to see things ending well for Gazza

I was talking to my mate and I think (unless he has a car crash or something) he'll go on a while yet. He reminds me of a typical Geordie plonky who'll probably die of ill health but in his 50s or 60s. I don't think he's got the bottle to top himself (if bottle's the right word).

Strangely enough I saw what looked like Jimmy 5 bellies driving one of them Vauxhall VX220 thingys in Heaton last week. Looked a right daft fat twat in int :icon_lol:

Did you see him on the news last week? Goes to the gym all the time now apparently. Still looked like a walking heart attack like. Quite how him getting fit is newsworthy is way beyond me as well :angry:

gives hope to folk like me........................

Strangely enough I saw what looked like Jimmy 5 bellies driving one of them Vauxhall VX220 thingys in Heaton last week. Looked a right daft fat twat in int :icon_lol:

Did you see him on the news last week? Goes to the gym all the time now apparently. Still looked like a walking heart attack like. Quite how him getting fit is newsworthy is way beyond me as well :angry:

Aye I saw that. In the gym 3 times a day, he reckoned. You're right though, he still didn't look like a well man at all. Had a haunted look about him. Reckons his nicknames now Jimmy Sixpack. :icon_lol:

Strangely enough I saw what looked like Jimmy 5 bellies driving one of them Vauxhall VX220 thingys in Heaton last week. Looked a right daft fat twat in int :jester:

Did you see him on the news last week? Goes to the gym all the time now apparently. Still looked like a walking heart attack like. Quite how him getting fit is newsworthy is way beyond me as well :dancing:

Aye I saw that. In the gym 3 times a day, he reckoned. You're right though, he still didn't look like a well man at all. Had a haunted look about him. Reckons his nicknames now Jimmy Sixpack. :)

Jimmy Draftpack.

Maradona last week saying he was fine with the players shagging their wives and girlfriends pre match, but he didn't want them shagging their mistresses. :jester:

It's a good job Capello isn't letting the England squad have about with their mistresses, Terry would never get on the pitch in time.