University Maths

BastianSchweinsteiger

Has anyone here done university Maths in the UK? If so, what job did it lead to and are your earnings adequate do you feel?

61093[/snapback]

I did Maths and Stats at Newcastle University, turned up at the wrong interview and have ended up as a cool:gen programmer.

I'd be happy if I was on the industry standard, but as the youngest person in my office I'm woefully underpaid. Looking to go contracting now.

If you haven't got a definite idea of what you want to do in future and don't need a specific discipline, a maths degree is as good as any other (and probably better than any of these arty farty media studies shite things). All employees want to know is that you can apply yourself to something or other.

Edited by Happy Face

How much do you think you could be earning if you gained a First Honours in Maths?

61503[/snapback]

The same as you could be earning if you gained a First Honours in English, Biology, Geography or Advanced custard making. Unless your plan is to gain that Maths degree and develop some code to break encryption in which case the worlds your lobster.

Or at risk of restarting a previously fun thread..... anywhere between £10k and £100million.

How much do you think you could be earning if you gained a First Honours in Maths?

61503[/snapback]

With a maths degree at 2:1 or 1st, you can expect a start salary in this country of about £20k, with the sky being the lonb term limit.

serious question time...

is this what the (said in Janet St Porter voice) yoof of todayh base their career path on? yes, moneys important but surely before going into a degree you should have an idea of what you want to do for the rest of your working life? yes that can change as you go through Uni and find out about different possibilites but I find it strange that someone would contemplate a degree such as maths based on the statement "i can make £x pounds a year doing some job" when I graduate.

serious question time...

is this what the (said in Janet St Porter voice) yoof of todayh base their career path on? yes, moneys important but surely before going into a degree you should have an idea of what you want to do for the rest of your working life? yes that can change as you go through Uni and find out about different possibilites but I find it strange that someone would contemplate a degree such as maths based on the statement "i can make £x pounds a year doing some job" when I graduate.

61609[/snapback]

I think it takes a special person to be good at Maths, and these people are often poor at other things. They often lack social skills for instance. :lol:

I did A level Maths and it was by far the hardest subject I ever did, because I'm not mathematically minded. Chemistry and biology were a piece of piss in comparison. Still have nightmares about integration, mechanics, and imaginary numbers.

On a seperate note, I was told that the pass rate to get a C in maths A level is now 17%. That's an absolute disgrace if true.

17% for a pass is crazy, if its true. I think the 40% pass mark at uni is a little low too. Should really be >50% to pass, at least then you can claim to know the majority of the course.

Maths was also the hardest course i had at school, physics and chemistry were a doddle in comparison.

As for doing a degree solely for money that is crazy, but it is an influence. Its certainly why i'm doing Chem eng at uni rather then something like geography.

61503[/snapback]

With a maths degree at 2:1 or 1st, you can expect a start salary in this country of about £20k, with the sky being the lonb term limit.

61541[/snapback]

I started on more than that with a 3rd like.

It's a silly question though.

I think it takes a special person to be good at Maths, and these people are often poor at other things. They often lack social skills for instance. :lol:

61619[/snapback]

Cheeky Twat. You're not wrong though, I get some funny looks when I compare the toons defence to knot theory.

61503[/snapback]

61541[/snapback]

61631[/snapback]

It is definitely a silly question. Depends entirely on what field you intend to go into. What is the accepted career path for someone with a maths degree btw? Is there one?

It is definitely a silly question.  Depends entirely on what field you intend to go into.  What is the accepted career path for someone with a maths degree btw?  Is there one?

61636[/snapback]

I don't think there is. I always intended to be an actuary (shit loads of money) but drink got the better of me and I preferred to have a laugh while at Uni.

I think most people that do Maths or Physics end up at McDonalds or as teachers.

61503[/snapback]

61541[/snapback]

61631[/snapback]

It is definitely a silly question. Depends entirely on what field you intend to go into. What is the accepted career path for someone with a maths degree btw? Is there one?

61636[/snapback]

That's actually an important fact; it might be boring but I would recommend most people should try and do vocational subjects, even if it is something as boring as accountancy. :lol:

Having said that, I think a good degree in maths will open up many doors, unlike Star Wars studies.

It is definitely a silly question.  Depends entirely on what field you intend to go into.  What is the accepted career path for someone with a maths degree btw?  Is there one?

61636[/snapback]

I don't think there is. I always intended to be an actuary (shit loads of money) but drink got the better of me and I preferred to have a laugh while at Uni.

I think most people that do Maths or Physics end up at McDonalds or as teachers.

61638[/snapback]

You did well to avoid being an actuary mate. There's a bloke at work used to be one, and on a floor full of accountants he is truly a beacon of boredom. Saying that like he's on about 80k a year, the twat!

61503[/snapback]

61541[/snapback]

61631[/snapback]

61636[/snapback]

That's actually an important fact; it might be boring but I would recommend most people should try and do vocational subjects, even if it is something as boring as accountancy. :lol:

Having said that, I think a good degree in maths will open up many doors, unlike Star Wars studies.

61639[/snapback]

I did Economics man. I'm far too clever to do a straight accountancy degree. :lol:

17% for a pass is crazy, if its true. I think the 40% pass mark at uni is a little low too. Should really be >50% to pass, at least then you can claim to know the majority of the course.

Maths was also the hardest course i had at school, physics and chemistry were a doddle in comparison.

As for doing a degree solely for money that is crazy, but it is an influence. Its certainly why i'm doing Chem eng at uni rather then something like geography.

61626[/snapback]

Rikko, do you not like Chemistry then? I really loved the subject, and found it incredibly easy as a result. Unfortunately starting Medicine at Uni meant there was no way to take it further.

Anyway, you're right to be doing it, there's not many jobs available to Geography graduates - I think most end up as PE teachers. :lol:

Rikko, do you not like Chemistry then? I really loved the subject, and found it incredibly easy as a result. Unfortunately starting Medicine at Uni meant there was no way to take it further.

61646[/snapback]

I did maths and Chemistry in my First year and despised every second of chemistry. It requires you to apply good sense rather than straightforward logic. I'm sorry, but I can't do that.