University Maths

BastianSchweinsteiger

Rikko, do you not like Chemistry then? I really loved the subject, and found it incredibly easy as a result. Unfortunately starting Medicine at Uni meant there was no way to take it further.

61646[/snapback]

I did maths and Chemistry in my First year and despised every second of chemistry. It requires you to apply good sense rather than straightforward logic. I'm sorry, but I can't do that.

61649[/snapback]

It's beautiful man, I love the way that it's so logical. You can predict how an element will behave just by looking at it's atomic structure....

Biology is a complete bastard in comparison.

17% for a pass is crazy, if its true. I think the 40% pass mark at uni is a little low too. Should really be >50% to pass, at least then you can claim to know the majority of the course.

Maths was also the hardest course i had at school, physics and chemistry were a doddle in comparison.

As for doing a degree solely for money that is crazy, but it is an influence. Its certainly why i'm doing Chem eng at uni rather then something like geography.

61626[/snapback]

Rikko, do you not like Chemistry then? I really loved the subject, and found it incredibly easy as a result. Unfortunately starting Medicine at Uni meant there was no way to take it further.

Anyway, you're right to be doing it, there's not many jobs available to Geography graduates - I think most end up as PE teachers. :lol:

61646[/snapback]

Didn't know you studied medicine - are you qualified, or do I take it you started but dropped out?

17% for a pass is crazy, if its true. I think the 40% pass mark at uni is a little low too. Should really be >50% to pass, at least then you can claim to know the majority of the course.

Maths was also the hardest course i had at school, physics and chemistry were a doddle in comparison.

As for doing a degree solely for money that is crazy, but it is an influence. Its certainly why i'm doing Chem eng at uni rather then something like geography.

61626[/snapback]

Anyway, you're right to be doing it, there's not many jobs available to Geography graduates - I think most end up as PE teachers. :lol:

61646[/snapback]

Didn't know you studied medicine - are you qualified, or do I take it you started but dropped out?

61663[/snapback]

Passed my pre-clinical exams, and then dropped out for a lot of reasons - partly my own bad health (resolved now thankfully) but more honestly because I didn't like patients! I then focussed on research, getting a degree and PhD in pharmacology. I now advise GPs on what drugs they should use amongst other things - basically evidence-based medicine, if you ever get interested in that I'd be happy to give you some pointers in it. The Maths (i.e. statistics) came in useful in the end.

Such as telling them to order more flu vaccine? :lol:

(my mum is a GP and was apoplectic when she got the letter from the D'oH telling her that it was essentially her fault stocks were low!)

61669[/snapback]

My GP wants to give me one, because I need to take salbutamol once in a blue moon. Madness, they're obviously over stocked.

61626[/snapback]

61646[/snapback]

61663[/snapback]

Passed my pre-clinical exams, and then dropped out for a lot of reasons - partly my own bad health (resolved now thankfully) but more honestly because I didn't like patients! I then focussed on research, getting a degree and PhD in pharmacology. I now advise GPs on what drugs they should use amongst other things - basically evidence-based medicine, if you ever get interested in that I'd be happy to give you some pointers in it. The Maths (i.e. statistics) came in useful in the end.

61665[/snapback]

Degree in pharmacology, but cannot work out the price of a train ticket. :lol:

:icon_lol:

61626[/snapback]

Anyway, you're right to be doing it, there's not many jobs available to Geography graduates - I think most end up as PE teachers. ;)

61646[/snapback]

61663[/snapback]

61665[/snapback]

Degree in pharmacology, but cannot work out the price of a train ticket. :lol:

:icon_lol:

61682[/snapback]

:lol:

Like the avatar too. :icon_lol:

61626[/snapback]

61646[/snapback]

I do like chemistry, my dissertation this year is on "Novel Uses of Complex Gold Catalysts for Environmental Applications" Its pretty much pure chemistry. The problem with it is the stuff in it is waaaaay beyond what i know. There is a reasonable amount of physical chemistry and kinetics in my course anyway and its alot more useful degree then pure chemistry.

I lived with two maths people last year- one of them is still on the lookout for a graduate job, the other works for Barclays Capital in Tokyo.

You have to look at it from the employers point of view. If they're looking for a first-class degree only, either they require a high level of proficiency or want someone who will be a workaholic. The bulk of grad jobs require only a 2:1. If you come out with any good degree then you can do pretty much anything you like, and if you can wheel off various experiences and skills gained outside of your uni curriculum (job related skills, not necking a pint in 4 seconds) then you will be an attractive prospect.

I did the very generally-named 'Management' BBA at Lancaster (got a 2:1) and have somehow found myself as a trainee accountant and the little celebration I had for my 'last exam ever' back in June has proven premature in the extreme.

I'll never mock Gemill again. I now realise it's not his fault.