Sky Sports News to leave Freeview

khay

BSkyB has announced that it is taking Sky Sports News off-air for those who watch it on Freeview and Freesat, replacing it with a time-shifted version of Sky 3.

Sky Sports News is one of the most watched channels on Freeview, having been on the platform for eight years launching with Sky News and Sky Travel.

Sky News will be the only survivor of this line-up once Sky Sports News stops broadcasting free to air, as Sky Travel was replaced with Sky 3 in 2005.

3's a crowd

To fill the space, Ofcom has announced that Sky will be adding Sky 3+1 to the roster. Surprisingly Ofcom believes the change "would not unacceptably diminish the capacity of the services broadcast to appeal to a variety of tastes and interests".

We're sure that sports fans up and down the country would have something to say about that.

According to the Guardian, BSkyB is changing Sky Sports News into a subscription channel, so that it can give it a HD makeover. This is certainly in line with Sky's HD plans – earlier this year, Sky News was the first news channel in the UK to go hi-def.

The changes to Sky Sports News come after Sky was forced to reduce the wholesale price of its channels.

This led to Virgin Media announcing recently that it has reduced the price of its Sky package in a bid to entice consumers to cable. In turn, Sky has revealed that it is buying the channels that Virgin owns, including Bravo.

There's no date as to when the channel will go behind a pay wall, other than 'later this year'.

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/news/television/s...0#ixzz0r8xBmw00

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/s...-channel-697160

I know it can get repetitive however this will be a blow to Free View Users.

Edited by khay

Money greedy pricks.

The full Sports package is about £18 anyway so I doubt people who are on Freeview want to spend £36 a month on Sky just because they have removed SSN.

I'm a bit pissed off for some of my Nanna & Granda who like to watch it and they will be wondering where it's gone.

fwiw, if there's a few in the house contributing to the bill, I'd say HD is worth it as well.

how many tvs are in your house fish?

we've got Virgin tv + in the main living room downstairs, another box on the same subscription would cost a fortune

fwiw, if there's a few in the house contributing to the bill, I'd say HD is worth it as well.

we've got Virgin tv + in the main living room downstairs, another box on the same subscription would cost a fortune

£5 quid a month for the extra box mate on the Virgin XL package....just had the main box installed today :icon_lol:

Just the one on which we'd likely to be watching anything in HD.

£5 quid a month for the extra box mate on the Virgin XL package....just had the main box installed today :icon_lol:

how much for installation?

Sky HD is well worth it.

I'm looking to get that when I move gaffs as Virgin isn't available in the area. First time I've ever seen that sky actually works out cheaper than Virgin... just a shame that sky's internet is so crap (from what I can remember) whereas Virgin internet is quality.

Sky HD is well worth it.

I'm looking to get that when I move gaffs as Virgin isn't available in the area. First time I've ever seen that sky actually works out cheaper than Virgin... just a shame that sky's internet is so crap (from what I can remember) whereas Virgin internet is quality.

Not had a problem with my Sky internet. Only ever with BT. I guess it can depend on location though.

Edited by khay