Joaquin admits Newcastle interest.

Scottish Mag

Real Betis winger Joaquin has revealed that Newcastle United have expressed their interest in luring him to St James' Park.

The Spain international, who has previously been linked with a move to Chelsea, has said he is flattered by the constant attention he is receiving from various European clubs, but is not prepared to discuss his future at this stage of the season.

"I cannot deny that the rumours are true," Joaquin confirmed.

"It is stupid to talk about this because there has been no offer. At Christmas many things could happen, but right now there is little point in going on about it.

"Although, at difficult times like this, it is always nice that a great Premiership side like Newcastle are interested in you.

"These stories do appear every year though."

Speculation in Spain suggests that Betis, who are perilously close to the bottom of La Liga, will look to bolster their squad in the January transfer window.

They may therefore decide to sell their biggest asset to fund their spending, but it is unlikely Joaquin would be released for less than €15 million

A few things spring to mind.

1) What the fuck did we sign Solano for?

2) Aren't we forgetting a player called James Milner?

3) Where the hell will we get the transfer fee to bring him to SJP when we've just spent 50 million?

4) We don't have a hope in signing him no matter how much money the chairman conjures up.

In fairness:

1. Solano won't last forever

2. I wouldn't even begin to contemplate mentioning James Milner in the same breath as Joaquin

3. Although I agree with you, you do have to speculate to accumulate - who thought we had money for Owen?

4. Again, everyone said the same about Owen.

Total bullshit mind, more chance of Georgie Best walking out of the Cromwell Hospital tbh.

I'm a little baffled as to exactly where the money would come from unless we've decided to finance several years' worth of spending in one season, which I would consider to be stupid in the extreme.

In fairness:

2. I wouldn't even begin to contemplate mentioning James Milner in the same breath as Joaquin

3. Although I agree with you, you do have to speculate to accumulate - who thought we had money for Owen?

Total bullshit mind, more chance of Georgie Best walking out of the Cromwell Hospital tbh.

61108[/snapback]

Quoted for truth.

Personally, I'd carry Joaquin from Seville if he were to sign for us !

In fairness:

61108[/snapback]

Quoted for truth.

61119[/snapback]

Agreed. Sign him first, then worry about where the money has came from after.

Found a link.

http://www.marca.es/edicion/marca/futbol/1...llo/594725.html

Marca are actually very complementary to us saying we're the only club acting as if we want to challenge Chelsea! Basically saying after the transfers of Luque & Owen, we want to add Joaquin to the squad. It says one drawback could be a lack of money, but "Francis" Shepherd is a multi-millionnaire who'd do anything to see the club high in the table. The other page is basically what Sky Sports were reporting on.

In fairness:

61108[/snapback]

Quoted for truth.

61119[/snapback]

As much as I'd like to see a player like Joaquin at Newcastle I do think it is a bit deluded to say "Howay, we signed Owen, so we can sign any player in the world." Money is a big objection. Newcastle are not in a position where they can throw with sums like 16m around. Especially as Newcastle already have paid 8m for Boumsong, 4m for Emre, 6m for Parker as well. And of course 10m for Luque. So even if you have to speculate to accumulate you have to have a bit of sense though. Recouping money for 60-70m in transfer fees is very difficult, even if you have success ... which nobody can guarantee.

In my eyes the rumour remains bullshit.

In fairness:

61108[/snapback]

Quoted for truth.

61119[/snapback]

61129[/snapback]

That's pretty much what happened to Leeds though isn't it?

In fairness:

61108[/snapback]

Quoted for truth.

61119[/snapback]

61129[/snapback]

That's pretty much what happened to Leeds though isn't it?

61183[/snapback]

Quoted for truth.

I have mixed feelings about this.

When we were linked with him I honestly prayed we didnt sign him. Sure he is talented, but he doesnt come across as a firm player to me. I think he is over hyped and totally overrated.

He has talent and has some skill, but he is far from being the 'World class Joaquin Sanchez' that many tout him to be.

His dream move would be to Madrid as he has always wanted to replace his childhood hero and idol Luis Figo. But with Luxi playing a 4.2-2-2 and using no wingers I doubt that will happen - unless of course Luxi is sacked and someone else takes over.

Benetiz is also interested and I would imagine from England only Liverpool, Newcastle and maybe Manu want him.

Honestly though, I think he might be a more of a liability than an asset. He is very moody and his performances vary a lot - inconsistent. However, Luque and him are great pals and them two in the same team with Owen, Parker and Emre could prove some serious opposition.

He recently got dropped from the Spanish side, so he can't be all that.

61423[/snapback]

Rio Ferdinand/Sol Campbell (delete where applicable) recently got dropped from the English side - I'd give my right arm to see one of those two here. What a ridiculous fucking statement!

On the comment about Leeds, it is a worry but then I think despite him being clueless on the footballing front, Shepherd is an astute businessman and a fan of the club he's running - something that tosser Ridsdale was neither. Quite how that man was allowed to run a business again, let alone a football club is madness to me!

BTW, I'm still in the "more chance of Shola ending up top Premiership scorer than Joaquin signing for us" camp. It's never gonna happen....