Slovenia -v- England

Andrew

I maintain Joe Cole is a threat down the left and other than illness or injury I cannot fathom a good reason why he hasn't started each game. I know he's not as good as his hype has now suggested, but he's one of the few players in the team that commits men. I've been saying that he would get better performances from Rooney simply by taking some of the focus from him.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Cole but I'd still worry about the lack of pace if you have him but don't have someone like Lennon on the right. And there's no way he'll play Lennon and Cole in the same midfield imo.

I maintain Joe Cole is a threat down the left and other than illness or injury I cannot fathom a good reason why he hasn't started each game. I know he's not as good as his hype has now suggested, but he's one of the few players in the team that commits men. I've been saying that he would get better performances from Rooney simply by taking some of the focus from him.

Because he isn't good enough to get in the Chelsea team, and isnt showing it in training?

Because he isn't good enough to get in the Chelsea team, and isnt showing it in training?

played in 26 games for chelsea last season despite being injured for a lot of the season, made a huge difference to their run in that ended with them winning the title and is one of the few players in the england squad who has regularly brought his club form to the international game

played in 26 games for chelsea last season despite being injured for a lot of the season, made a huge difference to their run in that ended with them winning the title and is one of the few players in the england squad who has regularly brought his club form to the international game

To be honest I was only trying to wind the Fishy one up. Theres no need to spoil my fun with reasoned argument

A comparison of the English and Irish TV coverage of the game.

The Irish Times compares the BBC and RTE views on the England Slovenia game

Alan Hansen: “Once England got the goal the confidence levels surged, they were excellent.”

Eamon Dunphy: “They just didn’t grow in confidence at all after the goal.”

Gary Lineker: “The goal really settled them, didn’t it? They pushed on from there.”

Ronnie Whelan: “You’d think they’d have kicked on from when they scored, but they actually got worse.”

Roy Hodgson: “England’s crossing has been absolutely outstanding.”

Johnny Giles: “Some of the crossing was just awful.”

Alan Shearer: “Rooney looks more confident, he’s getting around the pitch a lot better.”

Dunphy: “It’s shocking to see Rooney so subdued, he’s been reduced to a shivering wreck.”

Shearer: “They look much more comfortable on the ball, they’re passing it with a purpose, with pace, they’re closing down – a much better performance, it’s encouraging.”

Giles: “They’re much better than they have been, but they couldn’t have been worse.”

No arguments, then. Second half. England held on. Full-time. Ready?

Lee Dixon: “A great performance.”

Dunphy: “Shocking . . . absolutely incredibly bad . . . pretty awful stuff.”

Hansen: “The commitment was there, the spirit was there, the enterprise was there, the creativity was there, they passed it better – they could have scored five or six quite easily. Capello will obviously be delighted with the performance.”

Giles: “If that’s the shackles off what’ll they be like when the shackles are back on?”

’Arry Redknapp: “We played with pace, we got after them, we pressed them, there wasn’t a weakness in the team.”

Dunphy: “They were astonishingly poor.”

Lineker: “He looked more like the Rooney we know.”

Whelan: “Rooney is a major worry, his form, his body language, his demeanour, everything.”

Dixon: “Gerrard was outstanding.”

Dunphy: “I can’t believe how bad Gerrard was today.”

’Arry: “Across midfield we were top drawer.”

Giles: “Barry got worse as the game went on, Milner, Gerrard and Lampard the same.”

’Arry: “Bring it on! Whoever we play we’ll be difficult to beat.”

Ronnie: “If they don’t improve they’ll go straight out, it was a very, very inept performance.”

The consensus ended, though, when Capello appeared on our screens for a chat with Gabby Logan.

The BBC was euphoric about Fabio’s euphoria, but Giles reckoned he was “just spoofin’”. “It wasn’t exactly the most probing interview,” said Darragh Moloney.

“Well she seems a very attractive girl – maybe that’s why she’s doing the interview, she was doing a good bit of creeping there,” said Gilesie. Next time he meets his former Leeds team-mate Terry Yorath – that’d be Gabby’s Da – he should bring a gum shield

Nae offence ewerk but i've watched and listened to Irish football coverage literally hundreds of times and the IQ level of the pundits and presenters is, in all seriousness, about 60-80 tops.

At times perhaps but it's a lot more honest than English football coverage because they don't have to worry about pissing anyone off with their comments.

The cum bath that was the BBC's post match coverage on the game was well over the top for a 1-0 win against Slovenia.

Sounds like wishful thinking on both sides tbh - the English pundits wanted us to be that much better, and the paddys wanted us to still be turboshit. The truth, as ever, lies somewhere in the middle.

That was class. Pearce must be biting his lip cos there can't be many that would carry on like that with him.

Nope. :lol:

I don't suppose you heard the Chris Evans show where they had Capello saying...."one player....he make big mistake...." over the Godfather music?

:lol: No but I was thinking when I watched it that he delivered the line with all the menace of a mafia don. The interviewer said something like "...and that was a mistake?", to which the response was "beeeg meestake".

:lol: No but I was thinking when I watched it that he delivered the line with all the menace of a mafia don. The interviewer said something like "...and that was a mistake?", to which the response was "beeeg meestake".

:icon_lol:

He looks pretty handy still for a 64 year old. I doubt many of our lot would fancy their chances.

The contrasting views is a funny one. As someone said, the truth lies somewhere in the middle-England were better than the last few weeks because they tried harder, but were still pretty poor.

The other evening Souness and Brady were harping on about the Danish defender, Kjaer, after the game the other night. Souey rckoned he was a 'proper' defender and they showed examples of how he always found the right space to defend. The Guardian podcast absolutely ripped him and Agger, though. Said they did well going forward, but offered nothing defensively. Fwiw, I reckon Kjaer looks a very good defender with a superb long range pass.

Funny to see two sets of pundits view a player and his performance on total opposite ends of the spectrum.