Slovenia -v- England

Andrew

was just talking to a german mate myself who said something like "i dont really care who we play, I always just expect us to win, I don't know why I just do" completely unaware of how much that confirms the stereotype. England need that sort of belief if they are to go any further.

That's what I was tryng to explain earlier, already had Mrs P's brother on the blower giving it large. They don't even think they can lose to us anymore when it counts.

article-1147187-038A4BB2000005DC-183_468x337.jpg

NEIN! NEIN! NEIN!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep the back 4 as is.

Aye.

The problem so far hasn't been defence though Parky.

It's been the daft insistence of playing Stevie Geeee and Fat Frank together.

What, other than his usual row Z blasters, has Franky brought to the team.?

Carrick is a far better option to play with Gerrard in the middle IMHO.

Then we might see Shrek play to something approaching his potential.

Get this right and the defence picks itself really.

Agh, the uninhibited joys of drunken posting.

Germany isn't so hard, Serbia proved that, thing is it's unlikely the English players will be willing to put in the effort/work required.

As a very shitty Australian performance proved, go out there thinking you will lose and the Germans will cut you to bits.

i'm not sure england have the collective mental strength required to beat the germans. i can see a glorious failure on the cards to them and if not them, to the argies.

Anyone else notice Terry starting a huddle in the centre circle at full time, and calling everyone in? Lampard got out of there quickly.

That Terry though, what a great natural leader and all-round good-guy.

Yeah....wasn't impressed with Lampard there. As corny as it is, Terry was just trying to get that team spirit going.

lamps has proven himself to be the smart one, cleaning up Terrys mess of a press conference.

Team building and speeches can be done in the dressing room. Terry is a self-serving pig, and IMO, did it on the pitch to show everyone that he's the real captain and a positive influence. FWIW, I reckon most will see through it.

Spot on.

Disagree.

Gerrard has been a completely anonymous captain. Leadership is something you either have or you don't have. I don't even like Terry either.

Gerrard has had 2 good games & 1 bad one. His link up play with Rooney is very promising and he has banged in a goal. He was really driving the team on yesterday.

He should be the last one getting criticism at the moment.

Gerrard has had 2 good games & 1 bad one. His link up play with Rooney is very promising and he has banged in a goal. He was really driving the team on yesterday.

The only criticism I have regarding Gerrard is the insistance to play him on the left again. Clearly struggles highlighted when he tried to cross with the outside of his right boot.

Meanwhile the largely anonymous Fwank Lampard continues in the centre. Fucking madness.

Anyone else notice Terry starting a huddle in the centre circle at full time, and calling everyone in? Lampard got out of there quickly.

That Terry though, what a great natural leader and all-round good-guy.

Yeah....wasn't impressed with Lampard there. As corny as it is, Terry was just trying to get that team spirit going.

lamps has proven himself to be the smart one, cleaning up Terrys mess of a press conference.

Team building and speeches can be done in the dressing room. Terry is a self-serving pig, and IMO, did it on the pitch to show everyone that he's the real captain and a positive influence. FWIW, I reckon most will see through it.

Spot on.

Disagree.

Gerrard has been a completely anonymous captain. Leadership is something you either have or you don't have. I don't even like Terry either.

I think he's spot on too. Terry doing it for the media: "Ooh, look what a great leader I am". Agree with Holden about Gerrard having had two decent games too.

The only criticism I have regarding Gerrard is the insistance to play him on the left again. Clearly struggles highlighted when he tried to cross with the outside of his right boot.

Meanwhile the largely anonymous Fwank Lampard continues in the centre. Fucking madness.

If Capello has passengers on the field in the next round he wants shown the door for that reason alone tbh. It's a clear case of picking names over positions and systems and anyone can pick the 11 best names on paper ...and for a lot less than £5million per annum too.

Even by employing a slightly more scientific method and looking at history (ancient and recent), theres a lot more to suggest that they don't offer sufficient impact than there is evidence that they do. How many games of tournament football does he think it's acceptable to have two players who cancel each other out and worse, present defensive issues for colleagues? You can literally get dumped out of a competition in 15 minutes against the top teams if you dont have everyone doing their assigned job (and more). These lads have shown they can't do their jobs together over the course of months and years!

Gerrard merits the start against Germany tbh though I'd echo what you said about the position. At the moment, for me Lampard is only an option as a sub if we're chasing the game and need to shoot from deep simply because we cant string passes together/get any penetration.

I don't think there's a hope in hell of him drooping dropping Lampard for the Germany game.

Nah neither do I fwiw. What gets me though is the way it even remains an issue at this stage of knock-out football in a competition that comes round once every 4 years (at best). I think it's cop out stuff tbh.

Tbf though, I think it's as much to do with a lack of decent options (especially down the left - how long have we been saying that ffs?) as it is just picking people on reputation.

I think they possibly could work together in a midfield 5, but it's a bit late to be experimenting with that.

I think it's the best way of accomodating them both in theory but their movement would have to be fucking top-notch to justify that and I personally don't think they've shown the discipline. Lampard in particular just does what he wants at the end of the day.

As you say though anyway, bit late to be experimenting.

Tbf though, I think it's as much to do with a lack of decent options (especially down the left - how long have we been saying that ffs?) as it is just picking people on reputation.

Since Chris Waddle?

I think it also causes a problem, especially if you play Milner on the right - which seems nailed on now, of having very little pace in midfield.

I'm not saying he hasn't played well....but he was third choice for captain....while the guy who clearly had the leadership's still playing.

I said at the time that I thought Terry should be dropped...but I don't think Gerrard has the authority. With hindsight, maybe Lampard would have been a better choice.

I realise there's a huge element of showboating and I don't like it when Steve Taylor does it...but I thought at the time it was a show of togetherness that could have helped us.

Ah well, it's all rather unimportant in the scheme of things. Fucking twats the lot of them. ;)

I think he's spot on too. Terry doing it for the media: "Ooh, look what a great leader I am".

Fair enough. :icon_lol:

To be fair to the lad, I think Terry showed great commitment during the match. I just don't see what the point of post-match huddle on the pitch like that is other than to play up to the cameras. I'm not that arsed about it like. I think it's fair enough to say he's probably more 'captain material' than Gerrard too (mainly as the latter is very much a confidence player rather than a loud, confident player, if you know what I mean). Trouble is, Terry's off the pitch behaviour (by no means just the Wayne Bridge carry on) is anything but befitting of an England captain. He's such as easy target for the red tops the way he carries on.

I think it also causes a problem, especially if you play Milner on the right - which seems nailed on now, of having very little pace in midfield.

Adam Johnson would have been a shoe-in on the left for me. Would have frightened the life out of the right-backs in the same way Milner did with the left back yesterday.

Adam Johnson would have been a shoe-in on the left for me. Would have frightened the life out of the right-backs in the same way Milner did with the left back yesterday.

Shoo-in ;)

He certainly should've made the squad anyway.