Wenger back in for JJ

Scottish Mag

ARSENE WENGER is set to make a desperate £12million bid for Jermaine Jenas in the hope of filling the gap left by Patrick Vieira's departure.

Wenger was ready to sign Seville's Julio Baptista before he was snatched from his grasp at the last minute by Real Madrid and now fears a crisis if he doesn't act quickly.

So with only two weeks before the Premiership season kicks off Wenger knows he needs to buy and Jenas is the only player who he feels could fill the gap left in the heart of his team.

The Arsenal boss has £13.7m to spend from the sale of Vieira to Juventus.

And he may have to use all of that - and more - if he is to persuade Graeme Souness to part with Jenas.

Souey was said to be holding out for over £20m last time Wenger was rumoured to have been interested in signing his young midfield star.

But he knows that a cash injection is needed to bring in more players and is said to be likely to settle for anything near that figure this time around.

Wenger was gutted by Real Madrid's snatching of Baptista.

The Arsenal boss was going to use Baptista in an attacking midfield role with Gilberto shielding the back four.

Another player who could be on his way to Highbury is Monaco striker Emmanuel Adebayor.

Arsenal had a bid of £5m for him turned down this summer, but Monaco may now be ready to let him go.

This follows a contractual bust-up that ended with his being sent home on the eve of Monaco's first match of the season at Nancy yesterday.

Adebayor said: "Things can't go on like this. I must leave. I want respect. I have propositions from great clubs like Arsenal and Paris St. Germain. I feel they trust me.

"You can't refuse a club like Arsenal. It is useless to keep an unhappy player against his will."

Adebayor is a 6ft 3ins beanpole, who could give Arsenal the aerial ability they lack in opposing boxes. He has sound technique to go with it.

Wenger has said he wants to make another signing this summer and needs to strengthen his midfield since the sale of Vieira. But Adebayor, a 21-year-old from Togo, would leave no dent in the Highbury pay structure. His contract, which runs till 2008, gives him just £8,000 a week at present.

He could help ease the burden up front, notably if captain Thierry Henry were to suffer a more injury-hit season.

Wenger has an eye for a bargain, especially in a transfer market he considers swollen by Chelsea's money.

He reckons Roman Abramo-vich's cash has driven up Henry's value, saying: "Thierry scores goals that no manager can ask him to score. That is rare and expensive, no very expensive since Chelsea have come into the market."

This might just be the ticket ........... might open the door for Owen.

I would not complain if JJ went to Arsenal for that sort of dosh, IMO he's a bit of a lightweight anyway, still not sure if he's the best. Couple seasons back my view of him was different, maybe what's been happening at the Toon has taken it's toll on his on and off the pitch performances.

JJ going to Arsenal would be best for all concerned as he's not progressing here... we could do with the dosh and hopefully for England's sake he could then become the player we all once thought he was going to be

If he goes to Arsenal, I wouldn't expect us to sign any more players than we've been planning to sign and would expect the money from the sale to disappear down the big NUFC plughole. Talk of Owen is pie in the sky IMO.

• 2 years later...
If he goes to Arsenal, I wouldn't expect us to sign any more players than we've been planning to sign and would expect the money from the sale to disappear down the big NUFC plughole. Talk of Owen is pie in the sky IMO.

:lol:

I love pies in the sky!