Richard Burns RIP

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Burns loses long battle with disease

By Kevin Eason

RICHARD BURNS, the 2001 world rally champion, died peacefully last night after a long illness. Just 35, Burns was one of the most gifted drivers of his generation and a combative rival to Colin McRae, Britain’s only other rallying world champion. His crowning glory came at the Rally of Great Britain when he became world champion on home turf at an event he had followed as a child.

Unfortunately, the British round of the World Championship was to become part of his story in a way that his fans will not have wanted. On his way to the event in 2002, he passed out at the wheel of his car and was saved only by the quick thinking of Markko Märtin, a rival at the Ford team but a great friend, who wrenched the steering wheel from his grasp and guided their vehicle to safety. Burns was later diagnosed with a brain disease that did not respond to treatment.

The man from Oxford leaves rallying in a bleak year after Michael Park, Märtin’s co-driver and one of the British ratpack of rallying that included Burns, was killed in September. Again, the Rally GB was at the centre of the sad events when Märtin’s car hit a tree in the Welsh forests and Park was killed outright.

Tragic, 35 is no age at all.

Burns loses long battle with disease

By Kevin Eason

RICHARD BURNS, the 2001 world rally champion, died peacefully last night after a long illness. Just 35, Burns was one of the most gifted drivers of his generation and a combative rival to Colin McRae, Britain’s only other rallying world champion. His crowning glory came at the Rally of Great Britain when he became world champion on home turf at an event he had followed as a child.

Unfortunately, the British round of the World Championship was to become part of his story in a way that his fans will not have wanted. On his way to the event in 2002, he passed out at the wheel of his car and was saved only by the quick thinking of Markko Märtin, a rival at the Ford team but a great friend, who wrenched the steering wheel from his grasp and guided their vehicle to safety. Burns was later diagnosed with a brain disease that did not respond to treatment.

The man from Oxford leaves rallying in a bleak year after Michael Park, Märtin’s co-driver and one of the British ratpack of rallying that included Burns, was killed in September. Again, the Rally GB was at the centre of the sad events when Märtin’s car hit a tree in the Welsh forests and Park was killed outright.

Tragic, 35 is no age at all.

61168[/snapback]

Absolutely gutted to hear this :lol: RIP

I remember him, thats fucking tragic that is. Remember him being interviewed and seemd like a decent bloke as well. :lol:

61241[/snapback]

I actually meet him a couple of times in 99 & 00 and although he could be like all sports stars and act like a primadonna. He, when he was away from the pressure of competition, was a nice guy who was always willing to talk to his fans and enjoy a bit of banter with rival fans.

When it was discovered he had an illness unlike many other "stars" who rush to the tabloids to sell their story, he just quietly stepped down from the limelight and got on with his business.

RIP Richard.

Was absolutely stunned when I got up on Saturday morning and heard this. Anyone interesting in the WRC knew he was ill (had a brain tumour which was only identified after he blacked-out at the wheel on the way to the 2003 Rally of Wales) but I presumed that the operation had been a success and that he was in remission.

Seems he was in a coma this past week, not having a pop at the other sporting hero who died the same day but if the press had not gone completely overboard with Best, we may have heard before now.

RIP Richard, a truly awesome driver and England's only World Rally Champion :lol:

(* aged 34 apparently)

Was absolutely stunned when I got up on Saturday morning and heard this. Anyone interesting in the WRC knew he was ill (had a brain tumour which was only identified after he blacked-out at the wheel on the way to the 2003 Rally of Wales) but I presumed that the operation had been a success and that he was in remission.

Seems he was in a coma this past week, not having a pop at the other sporting hero who died the same day but if the press had not gone completely overboard with Best, we may have heard before now.

RIP Richard, a truly awesome driver and England's only World Rally Champion :lol:

(* aged 34 apparently)

61810[/snapback]

yes he was 34. I was really shocked too, i assumed he was still recovering, dont think it was reported that Richard had slipped into a coma, but then maybe his family didnt want media attention at such a time. I suppose it sums up the man, quiet and unassuming, a really decent chap.

I switched sky sports news on when i heard, but his death barely got a mention as it was all about Bestie.

Anyone know if there is going to be a tribute program for Richard?

He was obviously highly respected in the racing world - at the charity karting event I was at yesterday, the drivers requested a minute's silence for him. I never really knew much about him - but I knew who he was and that he was ill - but hearing the stories about him yesterday made it clear that he was a really, really nice bloke. It was so moving to have a minutes silence surrounded by so many people who were genuinely very upset at losing him.

RIP :lol:

I was talking to an Australian co-driver yesterday who was at the rally of Australia last month and they had been speaking to Colin McRae about Richard. McRae had been to see him not long after his operation and Burn's was so bad he didn't remember his colleague and after it was explained to him who McRae was, he asked what rallying was?

Imagine being a world champion at your sport and having no recollection of it!

Edited by sammynb

I was talking to an Australian co-driver yesterday who was at the rally of Australia last month and they had been speaking to Colin McRae about Richard. McRae had been to see him not long after his operation and Burn's was so bad he didn't remember his colleague and after it was explained to him who McRae was, he asked what rallying was?

62214[/snapback]

Horrifying.

62214[/snapback]

Horrifying.

62223[/snapback]

Really really sad. R.I.P.