Souness hots up Bridge chase

Scottish Mag

Graeme Souness will step up his efforts to sign Wayne Bridge from Chelsea after Celestine Babayaro refused to rule out the prospect of taking part in the forthcoming African Cup of Nations.

The 27-year-old Babayaro has not played for Nigeria since he joined Newcastle in a £1m move from Chelsea 11 months ago.

But he insisted last night he has not retired from international football - and could be receptive to the idea of returning to action with the Super Eagles.

African football's flagship tournament will be held in Egypt in the New Year, and, if involved, Babayaro could be away for more than four weeks.

"To be honest, I'm not sure what is happening yet," said Babayaro, who has missed two top-flight fixtures for the Magpies this season.

"I heard there had been a report saying that I was definitely going to be involved but I haven't had a call from anyone yet so I will just have to wait and see.

"But if I have retired from the team, it's news to me. I don't know anything about that.

"The last time I was with them, I fell out with the coach but he has been sacked now."

The tournament will take place between January 20 and February 10. But if he were selected, Babayaro would have to join up with his international colleagues at least a week before the start of the competition.

That Robbie Elliott is the only other recognised left-back in United's first-team squad means Souness is determined to sign Bridge.

Souness discussed the matter with Jose Mourinho following last weekend's defeat at Stamford Bridge.

Newcastle defender Amdy Faye, who has started four league games this season, is also expected to take part in the African Cup of Nations with Senegal.

Meanwhile, Newcastle have been linked with another African player, the Auxerre striker Benjamin Mwaruwari. Reports in France suggest United will make a move for the out-of-favour Zimbabwean in the New Year.

Poor man's Elliott?

You have to be kidding me or you can't tell a good player from amdy faye.

61248[/snapback]

Mark takes the piss in every single post. Not sure why he bothers these days.

61289[/snapback]

It was a laugh, that one, like.

Edited by Howaythelads

Why don't we just offer to be chelsea's reserve team and explain to them it would be much better for them if their stiffs were playing in the top flight as opposed to the shite opposition they have to suffer against the hammer's or pompey's stiffs!

I know chelsea have an excess of good players but it is getting to a joke when we are linked with all their rejects and as good as Bridge is that our scouting system, ex-chelsea player buy him.

Why don't we just offer to be chelsea's reserve team and explain to them it would be much better for them if their stiffs were playing in the top flight as opposed to the shite opposition they have to suffer against the hammer's or pompey's stiffs!

I know chelsea have an excess of good players but it is getting to a joke when we are linked with all their rejects and as good as Bridge is that our scouting system, ex-chelsea player buy him.

61398[/snapback]

Apart from Babayaro, which Chelsea player have we signed which we shouldn't?

We tried to sign Bridge from Southampton, so the fact that he's now at Chelsea isn't relevant.

61398[/snapback]

We tried to sign Bridge from Southampton, so the fact that he's now at Chelsea isn't relevant.

61407[/snapback]

I didn't say we shouldn't sign him, I said basically it would be cheaper if we just offer to be their reserves.

Gallas, Gudjohnnson, Bridge (and I know we tried to sign him but he rejected us for Chelsea). Have I forgotten any?

All great players but for some reason it just feels like if you can't make it at chelsea, newcastle pay just as much so go join them,

By the way goal, when fit I rate him highly, when fit.

61398[/snapback]

61407[/snapback]

I didn't say we shouldn't sign him, I said basically it would be cheaper if we just offer to be their reserves.

Gallas, Gudjohnnson, Bridge (and I know we tried to sign him but he rejected us for Chelsea). Have I forgotten any?

All great players but for some reason it just feels like if you can't make it at chelsea, newcastle pay just as much so go join them,

61408[/snapback]

Wasn't he nearly always fit before he went to Chelsea? Didn't he have a fantastic run of consecutive games, or something?

I might be wrong and be thinking of someone else, so I'm admitting it now. I'd hate to appear to be a know-all, by being aggressive and stating a positive opinion on something. :lol:

Something such as :

" We tried to sign Bridge from Southampton, so the fact that he's now at Chelsea isn't relevant. "

Edited by Howaythelads

61398[/snapback]

61407[/snapback]

61408[/snapback]

Wasn't he nearly always fit before he went to Chelsea? Didn't he have a fantastic run of consecutive games, or something?

I might be wrong and be thinking of someone else, so I'm admitting it now. I'd hate to appear to be a know-all, by being aggressive and stating a positive opinion on something. :lol:

Something such as :

" We tried to sign Bridge from Southampton, so the fact that he's now at Chelsea isn't relevant. "

61414[/snapback]

Having admitted to me the other day that every single one of your posts is to merely take the piss, I'm gonna ignore the fact that you're trying to get a rise (yet again).

However, Bridge did play 113 consecutive league games for Southampton, so amazingly you're right.