Favourite Toon Player in Your Lifetime

Andrew

Guest alex
surprised at how few have said shearer or rob lee

I loved Rob Lee. Best value signing ever? Has to be up there anyway. For me Shearer was a great servant but it's always slightly tainted by our only really having him as a world class player for one season. He was only 75% of the player he once was after that injury at Everton pre-season. That also coincided with a slump relative to the KK years before too which probably has something to do with it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Rob Lee. Best value signing ever? Has to be up there anyway. For me Shearer was a great servant but it's always slightly tainted by our only really having him as a world class player for one season. He was only 75% of the player he once was after that injury at Everton pre-season. That also coincided with a slump relative to the KK years before too which probably has something to do with it.

I mentioned Lee in my second tier list - what I loved about him was his ability to take a pass while marked - sounds simple and basic but we've had to suffer so many players who fail misearably at it.

Shearer is a player I admire but I've never considered him as highly as other lesser players - not so much because of the reasons Alex gives but more because I thought at times he put himself before the team. I know goalscorers have to have that trait to a certain extent and I also know that it must have been frustrating for him at times when lined up with dross but I still think he had an over-selfish attitude.

A mate of mine who certainly considers him more of a hero than I do pointed out to me before he quit England that Shearer always took it easy in his opinion in the game before internationals and thinking about it, it seemed true and is proibably the best example of what I'm getting at.

Keeper - Super Shay

Defender - Albert

Midfield - Rob Lee or Pedro

Striker - Sir Les or Tino(for pure entertainment value)

it's close between Lee and Pedro for my all time favourite

Super Shay do you mean the judas cunt who fucked us off in our hour of need please replace with Willie McFaul a true legend and who stuk around through thick and thin.

Keeper - Super Shay

Defender - Albert

Super Shay do you mean the judas cunt who fucked us off in our hour of need please replace with Willie McFaul a true legend and who stuk around through thick and thin.

Harsh but fair.

Keeper - Super Shay

Defender - Albert

I think he means the player who was told that after 12 years loyal service to the club that he was been offered out to any club who showed an interest.

Guest alex
Keeper - Super Shay

Defender - Albert

Harsh but fair.

Hardly fair like. He was more or less told to fuck off.

Keeper - Super Shay

Defender - Albert

Harsh but fair.

Was he? I didnt know that.

Guest alex
Keeper - Super Shay

Defender - Albert

Harsh but fair.

Was he? I didnt know that.

Basically told Man City wanted him and the club wanted to sell him. He could have insisted on staying but he'd have been crackers to do that.

Keeper - Super Shay

Defender - Albert

I think he means the player who was told that after 12 years loyal service to the club that he was been offered out to any club who showed an interest.

Indeed

Put himself on the transfer list prior to that, though. Twice.

Keeper - Super Shay

Defender - Albert

Indeed

Put himself on the transfer list prior to that, though. Twice.

2nd time was after that actually :o

As for the other occasion, he didn't put himself on the list - he asked for a transfer and it was refused. I don't know why people have issue with it - was relatively early on in his career and it looked like he, an international goalkeeper, was being over-looked at club level. He was desperate for first-team football and thought his best option was to move on. What's the problem there?

Used to love Pedro as a bairn. I have a memory of him scoring a pen against Boro, I think, where he runs over and grabs a ball boy by the head and shouts in his face. Think it might have been his son. Hopefully anyway.

In recent times, I used to love Nobby but I love watching players like him anyway. Absolutely top drawer. After last season, if Enrique can keep up his performances, he's bound to be a cult hero in 5-10 years time.

Guest alex
Used to love Pedro as a bairn. I have a memory of him scoring a pen against Boro, I think, where he runs over and grabs a ball boy by the head and shouts in his face. Think it might have been his son. Hopefully anyway.

In recent times, I used to love Nobby but I love watching players like him anyway. Absolutely top drawer. After last season, if Enrique can keep up his performances, he's bound to be a cult hero in 5-10 years time.

It was his laddie, aye. Drew I think he's called.

Guest alex
Rob Lee for me. had the lot except pace, and kept the game simple. very smart on the ball later in his career. if only we'd have discovered him at a younger age.

Had he arrived at any other time I don't think he'd have developed into the player he did.

2nd time was after that actually :o

As for the other occasion, he didn't put himself on the list - he asked for a transfer and it was refused. I don't know why people have issue with it - was relatively early on in his career and it looked like he, an international goalkeeper, was being over-looked at club level. He was desperate for first-team football and thought his best option was to move on. What's the problem there?

Geddoudavvit, man! It was only a few seasons ago when he got injured by Harewood ( I think). Shay expected to walk right back in the first XI and had a paddy (hehe) when he didn't because Harper had hit a purple patch.

second time his agent started pimping him out to other clubs when Keegan ferked off but I'm just playing devil's advocate, here. He gave tremendous service and could do what he liked so I don't begrudge him too much. Still stings a bit though.

First time was back in around '99. Got the hump when Harper was preferred to him for the cup final and who can blame him tbh? Another crazy Gullit decision.

Truth is it wasn't his agent doing the pimping post-Keegan... it was the fucking club - just as they had done with Milner!!!

First time was back in around '99. Got the hump when Harper was preferred to him for the cup final and who can blame him tbh? Another crazy Gullit decision.

Truth is it wasn't his agent doing the pimping post-Keegan... it was the fucking club - just as they had done with Milner!!!

Given was playing shite tbh. His kicking was abysmal and the crowd were getting on his back about it therefore making him a bit edgy.

To be fair to Given he worked really hard on his kicking and became quite competent in the end.

I loved Rob Lee. Best value signing ever? Has to be up there anyway. For me Shearer was a great servant but it's always slightly tainted by our only really having him as a world class player for one season. He was only 75% of the player he once was after that injury at Everton pre-season.

Couldn't agree more. Shearer lost his explosiveness (if there is such a word) after that injury.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

The player who put in a transfer request when we were fighting a relegation battle, the same player who handed in a transfer request every time he was dropped during his 12 years at the club and the player who fucked off as soon as the money was flashed by Citeh and as for the loyal service did he not get handsomely paid during his 12 years with the club.

The player who put in a transfer request when we were fighting a relegation battle, the same player who handed in a transfer request every time he was dropped during his 12 years at the club and the player who fucked off as soon as the money was flashed by Citeh and as for the loyal service did he not get handsomely paid during his 12 years with the club.

Consumed by the bullshit I see. :(

It's well known within inner circles that twice within his time at the club Given requested a move - once when he was young and naive and the other when he was told by the club that he was being offered out to rival clubs.

He owed us nothing - he was owed at least some respect which Ashley/Llambias/Wise/Kinnear refused to acknowledge. Can't blame him for wanting away.

Consumed by the bullshit I see. :(

It's well known within inner circles that twice within his time at the club Given requested a move - once when he was young and naive and the other when he was told by the club that he was being offered out to rival clubs.

He owed us nothing - he was owed at least some respect which Ashley/Llambias/Wise/Kinnear refused to acknowledge. Can't blame him for wanting away.

Dont know what you mean by the cosumed by bullshit statement just expressing how i feel about the judas cunt take it that opinions are allowed on a football forum.

As for the inner circles comment please state the source or shut the fuck up, or are you one of these i know whats going on at the club people when they know as much as everyone else as in fuck all.