Welcome To Glasgow - Advice On Your Visit To Glasgow

luvly_jubbly

Is Glasgow 'salt and sauce' or is that Edinburgh?

"Coronary and cholestorol" more like.

Aye, glad we're not like that in the North East.

Not this side I find. Go to South Tyneside, Wearside and those places.

Different world man. I challenge you to go to Asda at Boldon, then Asda at the Metro Centre, then report your findings back.

That's only because it's all halal in the west end.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex

I can't remember who used to have it as their sig ages ago but make sure you don't ask for a large coke when you're up there.

I went up there for one of our friendlies against Celtic a few years back. Was good craic, drank in the hoops bar before the game and it was friendly as owt, although had it been a competitive game I expect it might not have been so welcoming...as with any away game though. Loads of our lot got ejected for stirring the shit ie wearing Rangers shirts, donning Union Jacks, anti Irish stuff etc. Good day out all the same, tempted for a trip up to Ibrox.

I went to the McCoist testimonial and the pre-season thing the next year and had a cracking time on both occasions - especially the latter due to all day drinking.

Rangers fans were very friendly and surprise, suprise good drinking companions - I remember bumping into a lad on the second day of the tournament who I'd met the day before whose greeting was "Are you ever fucking sober mate?"

I have the usual opinion about the religious/political bollocks but you have to admire the edge it gives their support - the best spell of atmosphere I've ever experienced was when they equalised in the testimonial.

Guest Gordon McKeag

I went to the pre season one where we beat Man Utd on pens and Fox scored a beauty. We got in about 20 mins in to the first game Rangers v Sampdoria, Rangers were 2-0 up and lost 2-4, but the atmosphere was fuckin immense for a friendly competition. HALLO HALLO WE ARE THE BILLY BOYS echoing round the ground and there was only 30000 there, that songs banned now like apparently. Something I remember from that trip is what cunt Glaswegian bouncers are, they wouldn't let us in two clubs for the crime of being geordie, we were only fuckin 16.

Edited by Gordon McKeag

Guest Gordon McKeag
I went to the pre season one where we beat Man Utd on pens and Fox scored a beauty. We got in about 20 mins in to the first game Rangers v Sampdoria, Rangers were 2-0 up and lost 2-4, but the atmosphere was fuckin immense for a friendly competition. HALLO HALLO WE ARE THE BILLY BOYS echoing round the ground and there was only 30000 there, that songs banned now like apparently. Something I remember from that trip is what cunt Glaswegian bouncers are, they wouldn't let us in two clubs for the crime of being geordie, we were only fuckin 16.

i'd have been amazed if it wasn't seeing as it's a loyalist song that goes on about "fenians" etc, would get sang here as well by linfield fans/at n.ireland games.

Aye "up to our knees in fenian blood surrender or you'll die", isn't on like, the same as some of Celtic's vile songs aren't. If they changed the words, good tune if you ask me. We don't sing hello hello we are the geordie boys as well. Makes you laugh though when you hear Rangers fans justifying their songs like "its pyooa part ae oor heritage n aww at paww". They're not all cunts though I've met good Celtic and Rangers supporters, seems to be a 50/50split between bigoted bastard and decent people. The Billy Boys song is banned, but their Derry's Walls song isn't, I can't get me head round that, as that mentions death to catholics too "the cry was no surrender, surrender or you'll die" where's the difference?

I was there for a stag do about 7 years ago and was refused entry to a bar for being too pissed - I got dead sarcy about "being too pissed in the alky capital of the world" before a mate dragged me away - on refelction they were right like.

On the song you could argue "If you are a Fenian cunt, surrender or you die" is just the same as "if you are a Sunderland fan" but I suppose the historical context of actual battles/wars makes it a bit stronger.

I think a blanket ban on all "hate songs" is wrong but shit like singing about the potato famine is a bit out of order imo.

Guest Gordon McKeag

I was there for a stag do about 7 years ago and was refused entry to a bar for being too pissed - I got dead sarcy about "being too pissed in the alky capital of the world" before a mate dragged me away - on refelction they were right like.

On the song you could argue "If you are a Fenian cunt, surrender or you die" is just the same as "if you are a Sunderland fan" but I suppose the historical context of actual battles/wars makes it a bit stronger.

I think a blanket ban on all "hate songs" is wrong but shit like singing about the potato famine is a bit out of order imo.

:( That's the sort of thing I would've said.

Aye were they not singing the famine is over why don't you go home. Imagine if we sang that to Pakistani's at say an England v Pakistan cricket match at Headingley.

Edited by Gordon McKeag

is that when the hoy brown sauce mixed up with vinegar all over your chips? a most unpleasant surprise that like

Guest Gordon McKeag

I've seen battered Mars bars before up there its nee myth. They're characters weegies like, bit like geordies but even more extreme, but they must be the most unhealthiest cunts in the western world.

Guest alex

is that when the hoy brown sauce mixed up with vinegar all over your chips? a most unpleasant surprise that like

Aye. Probably a euphemism as well like. Or it should be.

Aye. Probably a euphemism as well like. Or it should be.

Sounds depraved, even by my standards.

The sectarianism in Scotland is I have to agree pretty bad I cant hide that.

There is many a songs both we and Celtic sing that should not be sung.

Although, Over the years it has certainly improved.

If any of you want to know anything regarding stuff like if it interests you ask away and ill try help, not something worth being interested in though.

We just try and find more ways of hating each other.

Guest Gordon McKeag

I'M GOING DEFINITELY, or definAtely as the jocks in Glasgow say. I love their toon and they're good football crack when theyre not on about Celtic and Rangers being truly massive clubs (which they honestly believe), their lasses are pretty special too I think.

Guest Gordon McKeag

Guaranteed cheap way of deein it is Glasgow Carlisle - Carlisle Toon its about 30 quid return. Or £20 if you get the 685 return to Carlisle.

Aye, that confused me last time I was in Edinburgh, 'Do I want sauce?' - 'No, but I want vinegar'. There's an excellent chip shop in the Grass Market in Edinburgh by the way.

I'm going to this and staying over. Staying in Edinburgh probably isn't an option as it'll be very expensive because it's the first week of the festival. Some alright hotels in Glasgow though, the Marriot has a great breakfast so I'm staying there. They have four types of sausage. FOUR. And that isn't a euphemism.

£14 train there

£55 train back.

'Tae fuck!

Have you tried Newcastle to Edinburgh? Could be cheaper?

£33 saving.

I doff my cap at thee sir.

Not a problem mate.

Just make sure you book a seat on the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow.

The trains are either completely empty or full to the rafters!

• 2 weeks later...
£14 train there

£55 train back.

'Tae fuck!

Have you tried Newcastle to Edinburgh? Could be cheaper?

£33 saving.

I doff my cap at thee sir.

Not a problem mate.

Just make sure you book a seat on the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow.

The trains are either completely empty or full to the rafters!

Bumpity bump for the people who havent been through it.