Champix

Geordieracer

So i've been trying to quit smoking for a while now and always seem to lapse after a week or so. I've been hearing things about Champix which blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain which reduces cravings and also reduces the pleasure of having a tab should you lapse.

I've done the usual Google research but i'm interested to know if anyone has actually used this.

So i've been trying to quit smoking for a while now and always seem to lapse after a week or so. I've been hearing things about Champix which blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain which reduces cravings and also reduces the pleasure of having a tab should you lapse.

I've done the usual Google research but i'm interested to know if anyone has actually used this.

Tried everything else to stop smoking but nothing worked and was recomended them by a friend last July.

1st week I still smoked whilst taking them (as advise by the health worker)

2nd week you up the dose and everytime I tried to have a tab it made me ill to the point of just about throwing up - like a first tab after a big night out!

Was on the course for about 5 weeks and didn't fancy having a tab anymore so stopped taking them and haven't had one since (full cource is upto 3 months)

The vary rare time I think about smoking I get that flash back feeling of feeling sick and it seems to keep me off them

Its the best thing I have tired and has worked to stop me smoking - was on 20 a day last year

Tried everything else to stop smoking but nothing worked and was recomended them by a friend last July.

2nd week you up the dose and everytime I tried to have a tab it made me ill to the point of just about throwing up - like a first tab after a big night out!

Was on the course for about 5 weeks and didn't fancy having a tab anymore so stopped taking them and haven't had one since (full cource is upto 3 months)

The vary rare time I think about smoking I get that flash back feeling of feeling sick and it seems to keep me off them

Its the best thing I have tired and has worked to stop me smoking - was on 20 a day last year

Cheers mate sounds like a goer from what you and a few of my mates have said.

Did you have any side effects - it seems some get insomnia and bad dreams and the odd few (albeit this was an article in the mail) have had suicidal thoughts.

Did you have any side effects - it seems some get insomnia and bad dreams and the odd few (albeit this was an article in the mail) have had suicidal thoughts.

Have a look at the SPC for varenicline at the eMC. It's a technical site but still useful for the public.

Iirc varenicline has been shown to be very effective for stopping smoking, giving you about three times the chance of stopping compared to placebo. As for side effects, you need to weigh these up against the negative aspects of smoking (very probably premature death).

Great site - cheers.

More than prepared for the odd sleepless night and nausea to quit for good.

Have a look at the SPC for varenicline at the eMC. It's a technical site but still useful for the public.

Iirc varenicline has been shown to be very effective for stopping smoking, giving you about three times the chance of stopping compared to placebo. As for side effects, you need to weigh these up against the negative aspects of smoking (very probably premature death).

Some bloke went mental and shot his neighbour in the US who was on Champix. Because of the way pharmacovigilance is regulated, it became associated with the drug in the eyes of the FDA etc.

Pfizer defends it as competely safe but there is the odd psychotic episode in the database :( Oh, how we laughed.

Some bloke went mental and shot his neighbour in the US who was on Champix. Because of the way pharmacovigilance is regulated, it became associated with the drug in the eyes of the FDA etc.

Pfizer defends it as competely safe but there is the odd psychotic episode in the database :( Oh, how we laughed.

Reading up on the cases of those who went mental it seems there were underlying mental health issues. Maybe Raoul Moat was trying to give up using Champix.

Felt a bit sick after taking the 1st one of the day but apart from that nothing mate

• 1 month later...

For those of you who smoke and want to quit I cannot recommend this highly enough.

Been off the tabs for a week now and the thought of having one makes me feel sick. Passed a big test on Thursday as I was out on the beer and apart from a slight twinge at the start of the evening it was crave free.

I've also not had any side effects as of yet.

For those of you who smoke and want to quit I cannot recommend this highly enough.

Been off the tabs for a week now and the thought of having one makes me feel sick. Passed a big test on Thursday as I was out on the beer and apart from a slight twinge at the start of the evening it was crave free.

I've also not had any side effects as of yet.

Presumably you can't light up the Champix? :angry: