Steve Harper

Akabusi

I can't see Celtic offering decent money for him.

I don't think we will look for that much tbh.

Ashley will be happy to get another of the high earners off the wage bill, although I have seen James name being linked with us and hes on a decent wage :unsure:

I can't see David James leaving the south coast at this stage in his career.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much would harper be worth now?

35 years old - maybe 2m at most???

I would say thats a bit optimistic tbh Laz for a 35 yr old keeper who has never been a 1st choice in the prem.

anyway, isnt he 36?

EDIT: just checked on Wiki. You are, of course correct Laz. Harpers D.O.B. is 14.3.75 making him 35. I prostrate myself before you and beg forgiveness!

Edited by AgentAxeman

Newcastle have blocked Celtic’s pursuit of keeper Steve Harper.

Celtic stopper Artur Boruc has been lined up by Fiorentina in a deal worth £3million, removing the major hurdle for Harper’s switch to Parkhead.

But Chris Hughton is adamant he won’t sell long-serving Harper, a key man in the dressing room, despite two top class, if inexperienced, young keepers in Frser Forster and Tim Krul waiting for a chance.

MirrorFootball revealed Celtic’s move for Harper three weeks ago but getting rid of No1 Boruc and his wages were a problem. When the 30-year-old Pole moves on Celtic will be left with just two keepers Lukasz Zaluska and Dominic Cervi.

But Geordie Harper is now likely to stay on Tyneside as Hughton insists on keeping key men from his promotion season together.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Trans...icle526057.html

But Chris Hughton is adamant he won’t sell long-serving Harper, a key man in the dressing room, despite two top class, if inexperienced, young keepers in Frser Forster and Tim Krul waiting for a chance.

As if Hughton has the power to block anything! Sounds more like the Mirror admitting they made it up in the first place iyam.

Billy, was Flowers on the way down when you sold Shay?

He was still a very good keeper, but he didn't have long left in him as it turned out. Given was only 21 or so, and looked as good as Flowers when he was on loan at Sunderland. He honestly looked like the best young keeper in the country, and was worth a whole load more than the £1.5m you got him for. After Flowers left, we had Filan and Kelly who were both solid, but not outstanding, but had to endure the odd game with Alan Fettis who had hands like cows tits.

Celtic stopper Artur Boruc has been lined up by Fiorentina in a deal worth £3million, removing the major hurdle for Harper’s switch to Parkhead.

MirrorFootball revealed Celtic’s move for Harper three weeks ago but getting rid of No1 Boruc and his wages were a problem. When the 30-year-old Pole moves on Celtic will be left with just two keepers Lukasz Zaluska and Dominic Cervi.

But Geordie Harper is now likely to stay on Tyneside as Hughton insists on keeping key men from his promotion season together.

If thats true it's great news!

How can people say give Forster a chance after a great season in league one with Norwich and at the same time slag Harper off for doing well in a poor league!?

If thats true it's great news!

How can people say give Forster a chance after a great season in league one with Norwich and at the same time slag Harper off for doing well in a poor league!?

You don't know what you've got 'til its gone.

Harper is on his way this week, its against his wishes and all down to loyalty bonuses and the possibility of having to fork out for a testimonial. James in currently in advanced talks however whether we can match what hes looking for is a sore point.

Harper is on his way this week, its against his wishes and all down to loyalty bonuses and the possibility of having to fork out for a testimonial. James in currently in advanced talks however whether we can match what hes looking for is a sore point.

:lol:

Any Source for this Pud?

James over Harper. :lol:

James was pretty good in the world cup like. But would it really save us much money as James won't be cheap.

:lol:

If that's the case I have to say Well Done to Ashley & Llamearse.

They have lowered my opinion of them even more.

If I was Harper, assuming that's true and I have no reason to think Pud's not spot on, I'd stay put and go public.

Presumably Harper doesn't have to leave if he doesn't want to.

Don't see what the problem is tbh

James is a superior keeper to Harper and talk of a testimonial for someone who, for the most of their career, has been happy to sit on his arse and collect his wages rather than show any kind of ambition is taking the piss a bit anyway.

Just checked wiki and 185 league appearances in 17 years :lol:

Edited by Sima

Guest Gordon McKeag

I don't even class Harper as a decent keeper these days. Very slow, his reactions aren't great he's starting to remind me of Tony Caig tbh. Shocking how the club are treating him regarding money he's owed though.

If true that's a horrible way to treat Harper but what we've come to expect from this bunch I suppose. However, getting James in for one season wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, hopefully CH would be brave enough to give Krul a proper run at some point especially if James is going through one of his dodgy spells so that we can prepare for a future of Krul and Forster in goal.

I think Sima has a point although I agree with Stevie too about it being out of order trying to diddle him out of stuff he's owed. I wouldn't mind so much if it meant the younger keepers were going to get a chance but signing James would put a stop to that. A testimonial would be a bit embarrassing though and I doubt many would go along.

Guest Gordon McKeag
I think Sima has a point although I agree with Stevie too about it being out of order trying to diddle him out of stuff he's owed. I wouldn't mind so much if it meant the younger keepers were going to get a chance but signing James would put a stop to that. A testimonial would be a bit embarrassing though and I doubt many would go along.

Would be like Rob Lee's against Bilbao. Lets not forget Shola's one will be up soon too :lol:

Edited by Gordon McKeag

purely for the team Id have James over Harper any day as most would I think, taking in James as no1 for a season or two with a view to him coaching would be a shrewd move as Krul and Forster hopefully develop into premier league keepers