Steve Harper

Akabusi

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insane move on our part.

precisely.

I don't blame him for wanting guaranteed european football and a couple of nothing winners medals if that is the case but after playing 2nd fiddle for years, why now ?

If he had a testimonial it would only be fitting if he at least started from the bench, came on for the last 10 minutes or something.

:lol:

Given should play the match instead of him!

Seriously though, i agree with people saying its another example of what twats run the club, but i also think we'd be better off with James for 1 season say, and the young keepers. Particularly if it were made clear to Krul especially that after James go he is no.1 so he has an insentive to stay. Because as it stands if Harper were to start thinking of playing on till the kind of age James is and Hughton kept choosing him, then Krul won't stick about, nor should he.

Given's injured at the moment so now would be the best time for him.

Funny if Harper has one year at Celtic and then Given leaves Man City after they buy Casillas next summer.

Portsmouth withdraw contract offer for David James

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...uth/8840717.stm

Portsmouth have withdrawn their contract offer to England goalkeeper David James.

The 39-year-old failed to commit himself to the Fratton Park club after being offered a deal in May.

Pompey chief executive David Lampitt told BBC Radio Solent: "We have done everything we possibly could.

"Our first preference would have been to keep hold of him, but unfortunately in these circumstances we can't always get over the line with these things."

The former Liverpool shot-stopper, who played three times for England in the World Cup after taking over from Robert Green, made 158 appearances for Pompey during his time at the club and captained them to their FA Cup defeat by Chelsea in May.

He wanted to be Pompey player-manager, according to administrator Andrew Andronikou in May, but Steve Cotterill took over the Fratton Park hot-seat.

Lampitt continued: "Both myself and Steve Cotterill tried to get to the point where we might be able to retain him as a player.

"He's been a great player for this club, a real asset over a number of years.

"We held out for him for as long as we could, but we've got three weeks until the start of the new season and we need to continue the re-building process and obviously part of that is getting a good goalkeeper in."

New manager Cotterill currently only has 18 players listed in his first-team squad, following a wave of departures following the club's financial struggles.

Portsmouth are currently in administration and face an appeal from HM Revenue and Custom's over unpaid taxes.

Guest Gordon McKeag
Celtic going to walk the league at this rate.

Don't think rangers are going to have any players left by the 7th of August.

They'll piss it, I saw them against Man Utd fair enough it was just a friendly, but despite a 3-1 defeat they looked very good. Rangers are shite, I'm convinced if we field a strong team we'll win by two clear goals up there.

• 2 weeks later...
Surely Fulham will be needing a keeper? Seems a strange move for the guy who ended up as England's No.1 in the WC.

I agree. I was expecting him to go to either Celtic, Fulham, Sunderland or us. Bit of a surprise he's headed off to Bristol IMO.

Whos Steve Harper? sorry don't really follow championship football.

You mean Steve Harper who was a Premiership player from 1993-2009? :D