The Secret Diary of Lee Ryder (aged 44 and a half)

Craig

12 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

https://flashbak.com/newcastle-united-fans-1905-2000-25533/

Don't ask me how, but at the semi final v Chelsea in 2000 I've think we may have a younger Mr Ryder in view. Not hard to spot despite his hair. He's the only Geordie at Wembley with an England shirt on instead of a NUFC shirt. :lol: Oh dear.

Actually, I've got a pic below. :spit:

That picture of Spurs away in the FA Cup '87 brought shivers down my spine, a real scary day that was.

3 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

That picture of Spurs away in the FA Cup '87 brought shivers down my spine, a real scary day that was.

Aye, a lot of people who I've heard talk about it say it was scary but it was only after Hillsborough that people realised just how bad it could've been.

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye, a lot of people who I've heard talk about it say it was scary but it was only after Hillsborough that people realised just how bad it could've been.

There was a poster used to come on here who was there, someone put a picture up of that day and he was in it, can't remember his name though.. 

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

There was a poster used to come on here who was there, someone put a picture up of that day and he was in it, can't remember his name though.. 

Bobby Shinton was there that day iirc. My uncle and a couple of his mates were there.

Spoiler
17 minutes ago, Alex said:

Bobby Shinton was there that day iirc. My uncle and a couple of his mates were there.

Wasn't Bob, it was another lad am tempted to say sweetleftpeg but not sure. I was 17 and id been to a few Yorkshire games and merseyside/Manchester etc but I think a day trip to London was a bit more than my folks were prepared to allow, thank fuck, but as you say Hillsborough put it in its real context. Think some plod had the sense to open a gate into the next paddock at WHO.

Was at Hillsborough 4 months before the disaster the boxing day game season we went down. Hadn't been again till last season. It looks exactly the fuckin same, my mate said with all the re developments of grounds in the last 30 years why has that miserable piece of concrete shit survived?

Just now, PaddockLad said:
  Hide contents

Wasn't Bob, it was another lad am tempted to say sweetleftpeg but not sure. I was 17 and id been to a few Yorkshire games and merseyside/Manchester etc but I think a day trip to London was a bit more than my folks were prepared to allow, thank fuck, but as you say Hillsborough put it in its real context. Think some plod had the sense to open a gate into the next paddock at WHO.

Was at Hillsborough 4 months before the disaster the boxing day game season we went down. Hadn't been again till last season. It looks exactly the fuckin same, my mate said with all the re developments of grounds in the last 30 years why has that miserable piece of concrete shit survived?

Aye, it's weird how Hillsborough is even still standing let alone so similar in appearance to how it was back then. And it wouldn't have been SLP as he's a little bit younger than me and I would've only been about 12 back then.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Hillsborough in the 80's  the year Steve Carney ( RIP ) got sent off was terrible as well, the little tunnel to go in and out of in the leaping lane end was always a death trap. I remember being lifted and carried out in the rush terrified in case i hit the ground. Not nice at all.

But Spurs in 87 was for me the most frightening, i can't remember if i went by National Express or Monty's Ugly bus that day but everyone on the bus said it was scary as fuck and had similar stories to tell . I've never been so happy to get out a ground in my life, it wasn't the last away match i went to but it was one of the reasons i eventually stopped going away soon after it.

49 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:
  Hide contents

I heard a few fans got a few whacks from a few police truncheons as well when they were trying to get over the fence to the next paddock to avoid squashing. 

5 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

Hillsborough in the 80's  the year Steve Carney ( RIP ) got sent off was terrible as well, the little tunnel to go in and out of in the leaping lane end was always a death trap. I remember being lifted and carried out in the rush terrified in case i hit the ground. Not nice at all.

But Spurs in 87 was for me the most frightening, i can't remember if i went by National Express or Monty's Ugly bus that day but everyone on the bus said it was scary as fuck and had similar stories to tell . I've never been so happy to get out a ground in my life, it wasn't the last away match i went to but it was one of the reasons i eventually stopped going away soon after it.

I listened on the radio and heard Warren Mitchell, (Alf Garnett) get interviewed at HT and being staggered by our support. (He was a Spurs fan unlike his alter ego).

He was on Wogan once and said he was Spurs. He was on just after they'd beat Liverpool with Waddle getting the only goal of the game iirc. Claimed it was because the game wasn't on a Saturday (taking the piss - Jewish Sabbath). I remember the goal actually, Waddle dummied then took it on his other foot and a scuffed shot bobbled into the corner. Funny the things you remember although there obviously weren't that many live games on TV back then. Was on The Big Match probably

Edit: Just looked it up and the Newcastle / Spurs cup match and the Spurs / Liverpool match were only about a month apart by coincidence

Edited by Alex

8 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I listened on the radio and heard Warren Mitchell, (Alf Garnett) get interviewed at HT and being staggered by our support. (He was a Spurs fan unlike his alter ego).

I've seen clips of it on you tube, it was an impressive turn out but i honestly can't remember much about the game or the atmosphere, i just wanted to be home.

Edited by Tdansmith

16 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:D

I tell my kids everything was in black and white until I was 4. 

Btw, out of interest - remember that mural at Killy which commemorated (I think) the Texaco Cup win?

Aye, in the big concrete slide park. 

That thing (the slide) was fucking lethal. 

Edit; I think it might still be there. 

The concrete pitches and walls it was on definitely are. 

Found Terry Mac signing it, I recognise two of the kids on it as well :D

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/terry-mcdermott-newcastle-united-player-at-killingworth-news-photo/860064900?esource=SEO_GIS_CDN_Redirect#terry-mcdermott-newcastle-united-player-at-killingworth-play-area-to-picture-id860064900

The kid nearest to Terry was a proper :D 

19 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye, in the big concrete slide park. 

That thing (the slide) was fucking lethal. 

Edit; I think it might still be there. 

The concrete pitches and walls it was on definitely are. 

Found Terry Mac signing it, I recognise two of the kids on it as well :D

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/terry-mcdermott-newcastle-united-player-at-killingworth-news-photo/860064900?esource=SEO_GIS_CDN_Redirect#terry-mcdermott-newcastle-united-player-at-killingworth-play-area-to-picture-id860064900

The kid nearest to Terry was a proper :D 

:D There's a picture of it I had on a post card I had. Got it in The Side gallery so was presumably taken be one of Amber collective. I remember it from forays into enemy territory when I lived in Burry ;)

• 2 weeks later...