Moving to England

wellsy

Well i have finally taken the plunge and i am selling all my stuff here in Perth and moving to London next January. So i am throwing it open to you lot to give me some ideas, hints and tips et al.

I should be able to obtain the ancestory visa, which will give me 5 years in the UK.

I will be linking up with teaching agencies to do work.

I was looking around the Fulham area for living as i have heard that isnt too shabby. But is there a better one with cheapish rent still?

What are the must haves? I need an oyster card.

Who would be the best mobile phone carrier to go with?

What are the best sites to see?

How do i get to a Newcastle game?

Just feed me with information on the mother country lads and lasses!

And yes i know your country will be better with another Australian in it :jesuswept:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll get a hell of a shock at what you pay for what you get in London TBH

On the other hand most teaching agencies have jobs in London because the schools are very very difficult to staff because of the cost of living and the s*** attitude of the pupils & parents

Well i have finally taken the plunge and i am selling all my stuff here in Perth and moving to London next January. So i am throwing it open to you lot to give me some ideas, hints and tips et al.

I should be able to obtain the ancestory visa, which will give me 5 years in the UK.

I will be linking up with teaching agencies to do work.

I was looking around the Fulham area for living as i have heard that isnt too shabby. But is there a better one with cheapish rent still?

What are the must haves? I need an oyster card.

Who would be the best mobile phone carrier to go with?

What are the best sites to see?

How do i get to a Newcastle game?

Just feed me with information on the mother country lads and lasses!

And yes i know your country will be better with another Australian in it :jesuswept:

Fulham's madly expensive, you need a seriously well paid job to live there (unless you can find a squat). Most of the kiwis who go to London seem to end up in Acton or somewhere similar in the outer 'burbs.

Don't bother visiting Luton or Bridlington. They're really shitty places. London tends to be more expensive than the rest of the country, unless you live in the really dodgy parts, though Highgate is quite nice. I don't really know London that well, but there should be a reasonable chance to see a Newcastle away game, given the number of London teams in the Premier League.

Oh, and keep your wife/sister any other female from the mayor, Bonking Boris Johnson.

Once you get used to the fact we serve beer in Imperial measures over here you should be fine career-wise.

and don't put ice in it

The ancestry visa is great, and after the five years you can apply for permanent residence. But my biggest advice? While London is a great place and a fun place to live, it'll cost you everything you earn. And then some if you're not careful. I did agency work for years, albeit in healthcare, but it can be tough considering there are times you never know if you'll have work the next week. Again, in London, that can be a killer.

I've been here for almost six (!) years and have had far better of it outside of London. For what I pay for a sizeable one bedroom in Manchester would struggle to get me a room in a decent sharehouse in London. And I'm not talking shitty parts of Manchester, this is a pretty decent area. The cost of living overall is far lower and can even save money which down south I'd never have been able to do.

Living in Fulham/Shepherds Bush/Hammersmith can be comfy because of all the other Aussies, be a little adventurous as well, why leave Australia only to live in the transplanted version in London? Explore the country.

I personally love London but as previously said, its so easy to spend money. Fulham ia nice area but is quite expensive; You'll probably need to get a house share.

There will be a few away games in London & Newcastle is only 3 hours away on the train if you fancy visiting St jimmys

I personally love London but as previously said, its so easy to spend money. Fulham ia nice area but is quite expensive; You'll probably need to get a house share.

There will be a few away games in London & Newcastle is only 3 hours away on the train if you fancy visiting St jimmys

Is the train not a rip off though?

When I was in Northampton I wanted to go up but I heard the train was quite dear.

Is the train not a rip off though?

When I was in Northampton I wanted to go up but I heard the train was quite dear.

Depends when you book it and what cheap tickets are available. I have been to Newcastle return for less than £20.

Cheers guys for the information.

There is a teaching agency in Newcastle and i was thinking of living in London (or maybe on the outskirts now as the costs seem far better) and then move to the north east for 6 months - 12 months.

How much is a train to and from London to Newcastle?

Are there any people left in Oz?

One of my best mates moved over from Perth 3 years ago and has never looked back to be honest.

However I'd think twice about teaching in London especially for an agency where in all likelyhood you will be going to less than pleasant schools.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/art...-unteachable.do

There are stories every other week about teachers being attacked.

Somebody tell me more about this ancestry visa. I got my mom a subscription to Ancestry.com for her birthday back in March and it turns out part of my family (direct ancestors on my mom's side) are from around Wiltshire and Chippenham.

Somebody tell me more about this ancestry visa. I got my mom a subscription to Ancestry.com for her birthday back in March and it turns out part of my family (direct ancestors on my mom's side) are from around Wiltshire and Chippenham.

Only applies to certain Commonwealth countries I think.

And not ones that opted out in the 18th century :lol:

Edited by Kitman

You will qualify if you can show that:

* you are a Commonwealth citizen

* you are aged 17 or over

* you have a grandparent who was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man (see note below)

* you have a grandparent who was born in what is now the Republic of Ireland before 31 March 1922 (see note below)

* you are able to work and intend to do so in the UK, and

* you can support yourself and any dependants without needing any help from public funds.

And not ones that opted out in the 18th century :lol:

There's always a catch...