Kluivert savages Shearer

Bombadil

Patrick Kluivert has laid the blame for his failure to impress at Newcastle firmly at the feet of Magpies legend Alan Shearer.

The Dutchman spent an unproductive spell on Tyneside last season as he struggled to maintain a regular place in the first XI, and has now described the move as one of the biggest mistakes of his career.

Kluivert, now plying his trade for Valencia in Spain, scored just six league goals and believes the club's reliance on Shearer hindered what would have been a more potent partnership between himself and Craig Bellamy.

The striker lambasted Magpies boss Graeme Souness for his inability to drop Shearer, as well as claiming that Bellamy was keen to see the veteran out of the starting XI as well.

"There is only one man responsible for the fact that I did not become a big hit in Newcastle, his name is Alan Shearer," Kluivert told Voetbal International. "The man is God in the North.

"I think Shearer is a fantastic footballer, but Souness should have played Bellamy and me together all the time.

"We formed the ideal partnership, Souness should have preferred both of us above Shearer.

"I know Bellamy felt the same but that did not make a difference.

"Every week it was Shearer and Kluivert or Shearer and Bellamy.

"Newcastle United Football Club is all about Alan Shearer, it is as simple as that.

"Nobody can beat him, nobody can touch him and nobody can do anything about it."

It appeared something of a coup when Newcastle completed the signing of Kluivert in the summer of 2004, but the two parties failed to gel and the former Barcelona, Ajax and Milan star now believes moving to St James' Park was one of the worst decisions of his career.

As well as describing the northern side as being constantly in chaos, Kluivert attacked what he perceives to be a dearth of ability outside the Premiership elite.

"Newcastle United was not the right choice, there is always chaos at that club," Kluivert continued.

"Where in the world do you see two players from the same club fighting with each other in the middle of a match?

"I can remember sitting on the bench and it just happened in front of me, Kieron Dyer and Lee Bowyer having a right brawl.

"It was always my dream to play in England, when I look back I think it was one of the biggest mistakes in my career.

"Not because of England, but because of Newcastle.

"What turned me off as well was the kind of football Newcastle play.

"In England only Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool play good football.

"With all the rest it is nothing more than running around and belting the ball up front."

---

A lot of sour grapes in evidence here, but some valid points as well I'm afraid. Still, keep the pie jokes coming :lol:

got a point or two though hasnt he

61443[/snapback]

It opens up a whole massive debate though doesn't it.

Does Shearer weild too much power at SJP and, if so, is it to the detriment of NUFC?

We are supposed to love Shearer but if it is to the detriment of the club then we should, surely, be slagging him for harming the club?

I wonder that once he actually does retire, whether the sniping will start as I suspect that most of us think Shearer does have too much say in what goes on.

The fact there's a part of the ground named after him while he's still playing says it all tbh. His name has too much sway at the club.

It's not his fault - with little success over the years we put all our hopes on the local boy turned good. If we'd actually won anything in his time here I doubt it would be as much of a problem.

he made few good points. But he should blame souness for playing Ameobi ahead of him, not Shearer.

I bet Ruud Gullit had one or two words in his ears. :lol:

61446[/snapback]

Aye, probably about pizzas and the sluts who deliver them. (not all pizza delivery people are sluts, of course).

The fact there's a part of the ground named after him while he's still playing says it all tbh. His name has too much sway at the club.

It's not his fault - with little success over the years we put all our hopes on the local boy turned good. If we'd actually won anything in his time here I doubt it would be as much of a problem.

61448[/snapback]

Agree 100%, I don't like that and I bet some of the other players don't either.

I suppose Shearer is to blame for Kluivert's chronic lack of fitness is he.

Bitter fat pie-eating dutch bastard tbh. And anyway, the person who should take the blame is Souness, not Shearer. Is he too weak to select the team he wants?

He has got a point. But to be fair he didn't exactly boost his own chances of forming a partnership with anybody with his unprofessional approach to recuperating from injury. It's no good piling on the pounds like he did when injured - firstly it makes you more susceptible to further injury when you return, and secondly it takes a lot longer to gain any sort of match fitness. On one particular return from injury, his head was the size of a watermelon.

Yes, he could have been given more of a chance when he was here, but he didn't exactly help himself IMO.

He's not exactly set the world alight at Valencia has he? Wonder who's fault that is?

61489[/snapback]

What are his stats at Valencia ?

(on the pitch I mean, not in the Paella take-away!)

I too feel that Shearer maybe has too much influence at the club but that whole Kluivert interview just smacks of a sulking child with a huge chip on his shoulder. The reason he was shit at Newcastle was not the fault of Alan Shearer - it was the fault of Patrick Kluivert and his obviously over-inflated ego who, it appears, cannot accept the fact that he is no longer a great player.

He's not exactly set the world alight at Valencia has he? Wonder who's fault that is?

61489[/snapback]

neither has shearer this season though tbh

62008[/snapback]

Shearer's not blaming someone else for his poor season though, thats the difference

61489[/snapback]

62008[/snapback]

Shearer's not blaming someone else for his poor season though, thats the difference

62010[/snapback]

he doesn't have to though does he? he's guranteed a place in the starting eleven now matter how poor he's playing.

61489[/snapback]

62008[/snapback]

62010[/snapback]

he doesn't have to though does he? he's guranteed a place in the starting eleven now matter how poor he's playing.

62011[/snapback]

Sad but true. If we had a decent manager that picked players on merit instead of other reasons that probably wouldn't be the case though.

Does Kluivert actually criticise Shearer or is he critical of the attitude towards Shearer by the management ?

62012[/snapback]

no; he said he rates shearer but that he holds too much infulence.

there's no doubt that kluivert was a disapointing last season, but i think he's got a point. the few games he looked up to it were when he played alongside bellamy when shearer was injured. but as soon as shearer came back, bellamy was moved out on to the wing.

Edited by Dan