Souness wants more turks

Renton

Sou: I'll sign more Turks for the Toon Nov 27 2005

More Turkish delight is on the menu for Graeme Souness and Newcastle in January. Because of Emre's sweet start to life at St James's Park. Souness is eyeing the possibility of bringing strikers Nihat Kahveci or Tuncay Sanli to Tyneside . . . after describing Turkish players as model pros.

The United boss - keen to unearth a successor to current No 9 Alan Shearer - insists Turks offer the perfect blend of talent and character.

"I wouldn't hesitate to go back for more Turkish players," said Souness, who is particularly keen on Real Sociedad star Nihat.

"They are top-class in their approach to training and how much they want to learn. There's no attitude with them.

"They are all very good professionals and live right - and there are some bloody good football players amongst them.

"I've had four of them here in England and I've not been unhappy with any of them."

Souness has also been freshly linked with Auxerre's Zimbawean striker Benjani Mwaruwari, but admitted his main transfer focus is in Spain.

Although insisting talk of his interest in Real Betis winger Joaquin and Valencia midfielder Ruben Baraja was "not true", Souness added: "I am a fan of Spanish football and a fan of Spanish players.

"Michael Robinson (a former Liverpool team-mate turned Spain's top TV soccer pundit) is one of my best friends and he tells me all about Spanish football."

:lol:

I found this article while looking for one about Boumsong which was in the article yesterday, but haven't had any luck. Anyway, in that one, Souness became a complete parody of himself, it was quite amusing really. He defended Boumsong to the hilt, basically saying his defensive incompetence was due to personal problems in his life, and the fact that he was partnering inexperienced kids in Taylor and Ramage. He went on to say that Boumsong was "a proper person, a proper footballer". And he makes mistakes because he is a "proper professional". The bottom line is that Boumsong will continue to get played no matter how poor his performances are. Unbelievable really, sick of having this dickhead as a manager.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More Turkish delight is on the menu for Graeme Souness and Newcastle in January. Because of Emre's sweet start to life at St James's Park. Souness is eyeing the possibility of bringing strikers Nihat Kahveci or Tuncay Sanli to Tyneside . . . after describing Turkish players as model pros.

The United boss - keen to unearth a successor to current No 9 Alan Shearer - insists Turks offer the perfect blend of talent and character.

"I wouldn't hesitate to go back for more Turkish players," said Souness, who is particularly keen on Real Sociedad star Nihat.

"They are top-class in their approach to training and how much they want to learn. There's no attitude with them.

"They are all very good professionals and live right - and there are some bloody good football players amongst them.

"I've had four of them here in England and I've not been unhappy with any of them."

Souness has also been freshly linked with Auxerre's Zimbawean striker Benjani Mwaruwari, but admitted his main transfer focus is in Spain.

Although insisting talk of his interest in Real Betis winger Joaquin and Valencia midfielder Ruben Baraja was "not true", Souness added: "I am a fan of Spanish football and a fan of Spanish players.

"Michael Robinson (a former Liverpool team-mate turned Spain's top TV soccer pundit) is one of my best friends and he tells me all about Spanish football."

I found this article while looking for one about Boumsong which was in the article yesterday, but haven't had any luck. Anyway, in that one, Souness became a complete parody of himself, it was quite amusing really. He defended Boumsong to the hilt, basically saying his defensive incompetence was due to personal problems in his life, and the fact that he was partnering inexperienced kids in Taylor and Ramage. He went on to say that Boumsong was "a proper person, a proper footballer". And he makes mistakes because he is a "proper professional". The bottom line is that Boumsong will continue to get played no matter how poor his performances are. Unbelievable really, sick of having this dickhead as a manager.

61451[/snapback]

Yeah umm, he's the vice-captain at the moment as well. Just give it to Parker or even Owen (who is for England). Could do a much better job surely...

61451[/snapback]

Yeah umm, he's the vice-captain at the moment as well. Just give it to Parker or even Owen (who is for England). Could do a much better job surely...

61488[/snapback]

I think Parker would be our perfect captain, and hope he takes it on soon.

61451[/snapback]

61488[/snapback]

I think Parker would be our perfect captain, and hope he takes it on soon.

61511[/snapback]

I think he seems the right man for it. Boumsong has no leadership qualities, and it just heaps more pressure on him.

Some things that spring to mind:

1) The amount of turks we're being linked with, reminds me of the crusades.

2) Maybe FF asked Souey if he could nip down to the shops and buy some turps and Souey misheard?

3) Where's the money coming from?

Them Turks a proper players.

Professional? I presume he didn't see the goings on the other week!

61455[/snapback]

Did you ever manage in Turkey by any chance?

;)

61459[/snapback]

What the fuck has that got to do with anything?

61482[/snapback]

:lol::lol::icon_lol:

Errr....souness managed in Turkey therefore he knows about Turkish players and their lifestyle!

The only thing you know about turkey is how to eat it!

Simple!

I was referring to the brawl involving several players (including Emre) after Turkey failed to qualify for the world cup the other week.

I don't care if Souness is shagging the head of the Turkish FA, if he thinks that's professional conduct then he's fucked in the head. Mind you, we've seen over the years what his idea of 'professional conduct' is!

I concede that not all Turkish players would behave like this, but I presume he meant signing international players.

I was referring to the brawl involving several players (including Emre) after Turkey failed to qualify for the world cup the other week.

I don't care if Souness is shagging the head of the Turkish FA, if he thinks that's professional conduct then he's fucked in the head. Mind you, we've seen  over the years what his idea of 'professional conduct' is!

I concede that not all Turkish players would behave like this, but I presume he meant signing international players.

61690[/snapback]

Most of us knew what you were on about, mate.

I don't care if Souness is shagging the head of the Turkish FA, if he thinks that's professional conduct then he's fucked in the head. Mind you, we've seen  over the years what his idea of 'professional conduct' is!

61690[/snapback]

61698[/snapback]

Err...yeah, but Souness was talking about their lifestyle. I doubt their life style involves brawling all the time! :lol:

While we are at it...

Anal's quotes on Emre's hearing:

"It is understood FIFA is interviewing only those players who were allegedly involved in the bust-up in the tunnel and it is hard to imagine Emre was one of them, unless it was as a peacemaker.

For he has been the perfect gentleman both on and off the field since he arrived from Inter Milan in the summer for £4.5m.!

Hmm, strange that the FIFA official and the international press are thinking differently...

61690[/snapback]

61698[/snapback]

Err...yeah, but Souness was talking about their lifestyle. I doubt their life style involves brawling all the time! :lol:

61700[/snapback]

"They are all very good professionals"

Being professional refers to how a player behaves on and off the pitch. It's usually the off pitch bit that gets ignored by some, yet bizarrely you think fighting on it doesn't make someone unprofessional.

And quit with the eye rolling smilies - your attempts at being patronising are pathetic.

61690[/snapback]

61698[/snapback]

61700[/snapback]

"They are all very good professionals"

Being professional refers to how a player behaves on and off the pitch. It's usually the off pitch bit that gets ignored by some, yet bizarrely you think fighting on it doesn't make someone unprofessional.

And quit with the eye rolling smilies - your attempts at being patronising are pathetic.

61764[/snapback]

Thanks. :lol:

yet bizarrely you think fighting on it doesn't make someone unprofessional

Deary me!

What happened that day was very unprofessional. But do you seriously think those players that were involved are unprofessional all the time? Or was it just a one-off?

What do you know about Nihat's attitude? What do you know about Sanli's lifestyle?? What do you know about Emre's dedication?

Souness knows a lot more about them than you do. Are you going to disagree with that?

61690[/snapback]

I totally agree.

The whole point of signing "turkish players" is racist, and odd, to say the least, but then again, Souness is such a fuckwit nothing surprises me.

Personally, I don't give a flying fuck if someone is blue and has pink hair so long as he plays well for Newcastle United.

61690[/snapback]

I totally agree.

The whole point of signing "turkish players" is racist, and odd, to say the least, but then again, Souness is such a fuckwit nothing surprises me.

Personally, I don't give a flying fuck if someone is blue and has pink hair so long as he plays well for Newcastle United.

61776[/snapback]

Eh? :lol:

61690[/snapback]

I totally agree.

61776[/snapback]

61838[/snapback]

It is racist in a way. He's stereotyping an entire nation which, as LM has said, is really quite odd, and patently bollocks. If he had said he only wants to sign English or Scottish players I'm sure you can see there might be a problem. Not really racist, just incredibly stupid tbh.

61690[/snapback]

I totally agree.

61776[/snapback]

61838[/snapback]

It is racist in a way. He's stereotyping an entire nation which, as LM has said, is really quite odd, and patently bollocks. If he had said he only wants to sign English or Scottish players I'm sure you can see there might be a problem. Not really racist, just incredibly stupid tbh.

61861[/snapback]

It's not racist in the slightest tbh.

61690[/snapback]

I totally agree.

61776[/snapback]

61838[/snapback]

61861[/snapback]

It's not racist in the slightest tbh.

61869[/snapback]

So stereotyping people by their nationality/race isn't in the slightest bit racist, is it not? What if he had sterotyped them in a negative way, like most turks smell?