Beardsley Appointed Reserves Coach

The Mighty Hog

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100727/be...2240137_2103090

Beardsley Appointed Reserve Team Coach

Peter Beardsley has moved from his coaching role within Newcastle United's Academy to take over as the Club's Reserve Team coach.

Peter looked after the United Under-16s last season, but following the departure of Alan Thompson to Celtic at the end of last season, the Magpies have promoted from within.

Beardsley, who starts his new role today, said: "This is a fantastic opportunity for me and one that I am thrilled to have been given.

"I can't wait to get cracking with what I know are a very talented set of players."

Steve Stone will also move from his coaching role at the Academy to assist Peter with the Reserve Team.

Beardsley made over 300 appearances for United during his two spells with the Club between 1983-1987, and 1993-1997, scoring 119 goals in the process.

He is joined by Gateshead-born Stone, who won nine England caps during a playing career that included spells with Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa and Portsmouth.

Commenting on the two appointments, Chris Hughton added: "This is an excellent opportunity for Peter and Steve.

"I hope their services will be of great benefit to the Club."

Edited by The Mighty Hog

we need to wind the clock back and get him back to how he was in the early 90s for the toffees and us.

what a player. i have serious doubts about his coaching ability.

I don't, he seems to me like the kind of guy people want to play for

we need to wind the clock back and get him back to how he was in the early 90s for the toffees and us.

I'm sure Neale McDermott thinks otherwise :D

And Ross Gardner and James Beaumont.

And Ross Gardner and James Beaumont.

Let's hope he's better for the experience. Mind you very few players seem to make the step up from reserves to the first team anyway....