Which club has the most deluded fans?

parkinpants

again, what do you win for filling your ground?

merseyside takes in the wirral, where most people have their own football team - tranmere rovers.

it also takes in st. helens which is full of melts who only follow rugby

you don't win anything for having a full stadium

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

merseyside takes in the wirral, where most people have their own football team - tranmere rovers.

True, but the only reason you're on here is because you're fuckin jealous of those crowds.

Be a good little bell end and run along to admire all your 20 zillion trophies....we don't care about you, them or your club.....and one things for sure we'll never be in our nearest and bitterest rivals shadow, or be so piss poor in comparison to them that they have to take up a rivalry with another club.

True, but the only reason you're on here is because you're fuckin jealous of those crowds.

Be a good little bell end and run along to admire all your 20 zillion trophies....we don't care about you, them or your club.....and one things for sure we'll never be in our nearest and bitterest rivals shadow, or be so piss poor in comparison to them that they have to take up a rivalry with another club.

havent they just spent the last season in the division above you?

Yeah but its not quite the same as 5 European cups and 18 league titles is it?

Or that a now pretty much second rate Liverpool still look down their noses at you lot.

Historically we're more succesful than Sunderland. Thats a narrow minded and parochial view admittedly, but its mostly what English football is about, outside of the top level anyway. And lets face it, both Newcastle and Everton know all about being outside the top level.

Guest Gordon McKeag

I think the Newcastle fan of 2010 is far from deluded. I think we over-compensate and understate our club even these days. All most people do is state facts.

As for this Everton-Newcastle thing, all of this far more succesful bollocks etc.... Everton are regarded as a very succesful club throughout their history, Newcastle are regarded as massive underachievers throughout their history. Yet there are only 4 major trophies that separate their honours list. So what does that tell you????? We have a comparable trophy haul yet we're seen as underachievers and Everton are seen as succesful.

Whatever you might say about scousers, the ones who like football are generally very knowledgable, exactly the same as geordies are. In other parts of the country say like Birmingham, they like football but it's not the same you never get in to a deep conversation about football history with them because it's not as big a part of their lives. A club like Everton has fans who are utterly blinded by their club though, because they've never been outside of Merseyside and can't give a balanced view.

When you hear people saying "Newcastle should be one of the biggest clubs in the country", I don't know why that is deluded. Clearly we're also rans right now so we can't seriously consider ourselves as a big club. Why is it deluded though to hope our club can get back up near the top when you consider the following:

• We are the 7th or 8th most succesful club in English football history
  • We have the third highest attendances in the country
  • We have been around the top 20 richest clubs in Europe (as high as 5th in 1999) for 15 years
  • We have a local fanbase probably second to Man Utd
  • We have a national fanbase probably the 4th biggest in this country, certainly no lower than fifth

When you consider all of the above why is it deluded to hope we can challenge the top four again, and perhaps should be in years to come?

The most deluded fans I've ever encountered though as I've discussed before belong to Rangers and Celtic.

Edited by Gordon McKeag

They've won loads since we last won anything though. Big deal like but that's why they're considered more 'successful' imo. The biggest club attendances thing is canny fucking tedious though. How many times have we been over it? Tbh, you only talk about it when you don't win things which applies to both clubs these days.

Or that a now pretty much second rate Liverpool still look down their noses at you lot.

Historically we're more succesful than Sunderland. Thats a narrow minded and parochial view admittedly, but its mostly what English football is about, outside of the top level anyway. And lets face it, both Newcastle and Everton know all about being outside the top level.

really? we have been in the top flight of english football since the 50s

really? we have been in the top flight of english football since the 50s

Think he meant challenging for honours etc.

I think the Newcastle fan of 2010 is far from deluded. I think we over-compensate and understate our club even these days. All most people do is state facts.

As for this Everton-Newcastle thing, all of this far more succesful bollocks etc.... Everton are regarded as a very succesful club throughout their history, Newcastle are regarded as massive underachievers throughout their history. Yet there are only 4 major trophies that separate their honours list. So what does that tell you????? We have a comparable trophy haul yet we're seen as underachievers and Everton are seen as succesful.

Whatever you might say about scousers, the ones who like football are generally very knowledgable, exactly the same as geordies are. In other parts of the country say like Birmingham, they like football but it's not the same you never get in to a deep conversation about football history with them because it's not as big a part of their lives. A club like Everton has fans who are utterly blinded by their club though, because they've never been outside of Merseyside and can't give a balanced view.

When you hear people saying "Newcastle should be one of the biggest clubs in the country", I don't know why that is deluded. Clearly we're also rans right now so we can't seriously consider ourselves as a big club. Why is it deluded though to hope our club can get back up near the top when you consider the following:

• We have been around the top 20 richest clubs in Europe (as high as 5th in 1999) for 15 years
  • We have a national fanbase probably the 4th biggest in this country, certainly no lower than fifth

When you consider all of the above why is it deluded to hope we can challenge the top four again, and perhaps should be in years to come?

The most deluded fans I've ever encountered though as I've discussed before belong to Rangers and Celtic.

everton have always been known as 'sleeping giants'

not my words, the words of the press over the decades

you're still stuck in the starting blocks

:)

Guest Gordon McKeag

Show me the press saying you're sleeping giants. It's almost our nickname it's been used that often about us.

You've been known as overachievers. I think coming 6th and 7th for a club like Everton with your lack of infrastructure is massive overachievement if you ask me. I mean you're not a wealthy club, your supporters are working class generally (most expensive ticket £34), you ground belongs in the 1950's, I think Moyes while being a wanker has been arguably the best manager of the last five years competing with far bigger operations than Everton.

Show me the press saying you're sleeping giants. It's almost our nickname it's been used that often about us.

You've been known as overachievers. I think coming 6th and 7th for a club like Everton with your lack of infrastructure is massive overachievement if you ask me. I mean you're not a wealthy club, your supporters are working class generally (most expensive ticket £34), you ground belongs in the 1950's, I think Moyes while being a wanker has been arguably the best manager of the last five years competing with far bigger operations than Everton.

Everton haven't over achieved in my opinion.

I think the clubs like Tottenham, City, Villa and Liverpool have all under achieved considering how much they've had to spend.

over achievers over the past decade, maybe. you could also argue that if we happened to finish in the top 6/7 once it would be classed as over achieving. however, considering we have done it consistantly over the past few years would suggest that its nothing to do with over achieving, we just have a very good team, manager and work ethic.

before the 90s everton were known as 'the mersey millionaires'. it was only when a kopite season ticket holder bought us that we started to decline. im pretty sure you can relate to that

Guest Gordon McKeag
over achievers over the past decade, maybe. you could also argue that if we happened to finish in the top 6/7 once it would be classed as over achieving. however, considering we have done it consistantly over the past few years would suggest that its nothing to do with over achieving, we just have a very good team, manager and work ethic.

before the 90s everton were known as 'the mersey millionaires'. it was only when a kopite season ticket holder bought us that we started to decline. im pretty sure you can relate to that

You started to decline because of money as well, and its' growing importance in football. Everton have a good history in English football, the same as we (whether you like to admit it or not) do. The dawn of the Premiership changed everything though. The money came in from SKY, and for the first time clubs were starting to be ran as proper commercial ventures, and revenues went through the roof. Newcastle's turnover went up from £4m in 1991 to £100m in 2000. Everton couldn't bridge the gap financially with the likes of ourselves, Manchester United and yes Liverpool, because of the vast businesses these clubs became. You were reduced to selling your best players like Gary Speed and Big Dunc because the club couldn't generate enough income to knock back huge offers. You can slag Kenwright all you like but what do you want him to do. It's only now Everton are starting to generate a reasonable amount of income and half of that comes from your supporters through ticket sales and merchandise.

You started to decline because of money as well, and its' growing importance in football. Everton have a good history in English football, the same as we (whether you like to admit it or not) do. The dawn of the Premiership changed everything though. The money came in from SKY, and for the first time clubs were starting to be ran as proper commercial ventures, and revenues went through the roof. Newcastle's turnover went up from £4m in 1991 to £100m in 2000. Everton couldn't bridge the gap financially with the likes of ourselves, Manchester United and yes Liverpool, because of the vast businesses these clubs became. You were reduced to selling your best players like Gary Speed and Big Dunc because the club couldn't generate enough income to knock back huge offers. You can slag Kenwright all you like but what do you want him to do. It's only now Everton are starting to generate a reasonable amount of income and half of that comes from your supporters through ticket sales and merchandise.

the premiership did indeed change football. for the worse, in my humble opinion. it came at a time when peter johnson (a life long liverpool fan and season ticket holder) bought out our club. he held us back whilst other teams around us went from strength to strength. bill kenwright then bought us out, and although theres no doubt he loves the club, he simply hasn't got the money to run us the way we should be run. he claims to want investment but doesn't want to sell his baby, so to speak. he claims that we are up for sale, yet year after year refuses to tell the shareholders how much for. he can't, because he has absolutely no intention of selling up.

gary speed left due to something that happened within the club. it had absolutely nothing to do with financial reasons.

we do have to sell to buy, still to this day. which is why kenwright needs to go

Guest Gordon McKeag

the premiership did indeed change football. for the worse, in my humble opinion. it came at a time when peter johnson (a life long liverpool fan and season ticket holder) bought out our club. he held us back whilst other teams around us went from strength to strength. bill kenwright then bought us out, and although theres no doubt he loves the club, he simply hasn't got the money to run us the way we should be run. he claims to want investment but doesn't want to sell his baby, so to speak. he claims that we are up for sale, yet year after year refuses to tell the shareholders how much for. he can't, because he has absolutely no intention of selling up.

gary speed left due to something that happened within the club. it had absolutely nothing to do with financial reasons.

we do have to sell to buy, still to this day. which is why kenwright needs to go

The only way that will change is if you get a sugar daddy. What makes us different from the likes of Blackburn (when they won it in 95), and Man City etc.. we became one of the best sides in Europe at the time off our own back. We didn't have a sugar daddy, we had John Hall speculating to accumulate and he narf did accumulate when he sold his shares. Everton have never had that infrastructure like we had/ can have again. You are right though football was much better when money didn't matter so much but we were the most mismanaged football club in history I'd say for the size of the support. Heart breaking when you see clubs in that era like Derby, Leeds and Nottingham Forest winning league titles unbelievable really. Regarding us you can slag Newcastle off all you like but you know the truth.

Guest Gordon McKeag
I think for a club with no money, Everton have done alright for themselves the past few years.

I agree that was my point. They overachieve largely down to what Moyes has done.

if you look at the top 8 over the past 7/8 years, look at the teams that have been in it and look what they have all spent. most have a sugar daddy or atleast chairmen who are willing to spend a lot of money.

as iv said, over achieving would maybe be for one or two seasons. i don't think you can say everton are over achieving anymore because we have managed to stay there season after season

Your point re: our "rivals" spending a season in the league above us, you're right, yet they were still in our shadow, we still got more press, still got more national attention and still got more games on tv. We matter more than them, even when we're a league below them. If that doesn't show how deep in our shadow they are I don't know what will.

As Stevie says, Everton and Newcastle have comparable trophy hauls and are both famous old clubs.

What's the point in coming onto a Newcastle message board to talk about Everton?

Edited by The Fish

They've won loads since we last won anything though. Big deal like but that's why they're considered more 'successful' imo. The biggest club attendances thing is canny fucking tedious though. How many times have we been over it? Tbh, you only talk about it when you don't win things which applies to both clubs these days.

Aroundabout the same number of times we get 'visited' by other fans having a pop tbh.

As I said elsewhere, it's strange that we're so shit and so inferior yet they find the need to navigate here, sign up and post to have a go. Speaks volumes IMO.