Ronaldinho at peak vs Messi now

Besty

Ronaldo and Messi both have different attributes, regardless of them both being amazing goalscorers and pitting one skill against the other is hard to distinguish which player could be called the best.

If I had to stick my neck out, I'd say Ronaldo pips it because he's done it in England and for his own country consistently, whereas Messi seems to struggle with Argentina in terms of being anything like he is at Barcelona, obviously due to the quality of players around him.

Ronaldo by a hairs breadth for me.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Messi by country miles for me.

Its quite funny how some people attribute Messi's success to Barca yet forget to think about what a massive part of that incredible team he himself is. And its not like Ronaldo is playing in a team of bums now is he :lol:

Many, many years from now when people mention Messi I'll tell them that Ronaldo was the better player. Just to be controversial.

Messi's probably got the next 2 Ballon D'ors in the bag, but I'll still always prefer Ronaldo.

I love these arguments even though there'll never be a winner. For me Zidane was a better player than Iniesta will ever be, and he was also better than Platini. That's not to say that the other two aren't/weren't truly unbelievable players.

In terms of magic on the ball I'd put Zidane and Maradona ahead of Messi, and definitely ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo... and although you can compare stats (goals scored, assists made, World Cups won), for me personally it comes down to the wonder of watching them. And that is why, even if they only did it in fits and spurts compared to Messi and Ronaldo, Zidane and Maradona are the greatest footballers I've seen in my lifetime. I am too young to have seen George Best in his Man United prime so can't comment really, but videos I've seen suggest he was up there with those two too.

Of course the old chestnut about the game being slower and less professional when Maradona and Best played is true. Same can be said of Platini vs Zidane. However the flipside of that argument is that I reckon if Maradona had been a teenager in the early 2000s as Messi and Ronaldo were, he would have been similarly expertly managed and given every possible chance to get the most out of his talent. In actual fact he was one of the most mis-managed players in history, starting from his early teens when he was given horrendous medical advice that hampered the rest of his career, and continuing to his infamous come back at USA 94. Maradona's early days in Argentina and then Barcelona were chaotic, absolutely mental. There can be no argument that Maradona, like Gazza, did not fulfill his potential.

That's all pure conjecture though, and just my opinion. And I wouldn't say its ludicrous for anyone to say that Iniesta is better than Zidane or Messi is better than Maradona, etc. They are all valid opinions and are based on sound logic. What is incontrovertible, however, is football's ability to capture the imagination through the wonder of watching it's greatest players. It's something that sets it apart from all other sports (the only exception being Rugby League whenever Andrew Johns was on the ball), and it is the reason I don't think you can compare players in terms of their CVs alone. Maradona and Zidane's talents just seemed otherwordly in a way that Messi, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho's never have to me.

I would add that I agree with David Kelly about Maradona's astonishing achievements with the national team and Napoli. Neither Messi or Ronaldo will ever achieve anything remotely comparable, but that's not their fault.

If you're talking about the 'wonder of watching them', I think Ronaldinho was very very good value. Some of the things he could do with the ball not even the other people mentioned in this thread could.

Zidane was great to watch, agree with your Maradona comments, he carried two sides to trophies they may not have won without him, (club and country) whilst getting kicked in a way Messi doesn't. Messi is better than Ronaldinho by some way for me though. The original Ronaldo was superb and for a brief spell Romario was too. There's loads you could mention but no 'best ever' would be complete without Billy Askew, though. His partnership with Kevin Dillon in our midfield had me watching through silent tears of awe.

Zidane was great to watch, agree with your Maradona comments, he carried two sides to trophies they may not have won without him, (club and country) whilst getting kicked in a way Messi doesn't. Messi is better than Ronaldinho by some way for me though. The original Ronaldo was superb and for a brief spell Romario was too. There's loads you could mention but no 'best ever' would be complete without Billy Askew, though. His partnership with Kevin Dillon in our midfield had me watching through silent tears of awe.

Haha aye I'm sure all of us who were lucky enough to witness their magical brand of football/art were similarly affected. Iniesta and Xavi should think themselves lucky they play in a different era - they wouldn't have got a kick

I love these arguments even though there'll never be a winner. For me Zidane was a better player than Iniesta will ever be, and he was also better than Platini. That's not to say that the other two aren't/weren't truly unbelievable players.

In terms of magic on the ball I'd put Zidane and Maradona ahead of Messi, and definitely ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo... and although you can compare stats (goals scored, assists made, World Cups won), for me personally it comes down to the wonder of watching them. And that is why, even if they only did it in fits and spurts compared to Messi and Ronaldo, Zidane and Maradona are the greatest footballers I've seen in my lifetime. I am too young to have seen George Best in his Man United prime so can't comment really, but videos I've seen suggest he was up there with those two too.

Of course the old chestnut about the game being slower and less professional when Maradona and Best played is true. Same can be said of Platini vs Zidane. However the flipside of that argument is that I reckon if Maradona had been a teenager in the early 2000s as Messi and Ronaldo were, he would have been similarly expertly managed and given every possible chance to get the most out of his talent. In actual fact he was one of the most mis-managed players in history, starting from his early teens when he was given horrendous medical advice that hampered the rest of his career, and continuing to his infamous come back at USA 94. Maradona's early days in Argentina and then Barcelona were chaotic, absolutely mental. There can be no argument that Maradona, like Gazza, did not fulfill his potential.

That's all pure conjecture though, and just my opinion. And I wouldn't say its ludicrous for anyone to say that Iniesta is better than Zidane or Messi is better than Maradona, etc. They are all valid opinions and are based on sound logic. What is incontrovertible, however, is football's ability to capture the imagination through the wonder of watching it's greatest players. It's something that sets it apart from all other sports (the only exception being Rugby League whenever Andrew Johns was on the ball), and it is the reason I don't think you can compare players in terms of their CVs alone. Maradona and Zidane's talents just seemed otherwordly in a way that Messi, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho's never have to me.

I would add that I agree with David Kelly about Maradona's astonishing achievements with the national team and Napoli. Neither Messi or Ronaldo will ever achieve anything remotely comparable, but that's not their fault.

Good post.

Ability wise Iniesta is nowhere near Zidane, Zidane was in another world compared to his generation. Iniesta is a talented player in a world class team but that's it.

Bloody hell, Messi is good because he has Xavi and Iniesta behind him, Iniesta is good because he plays for a world class team, Xavi is good because he has world class players around him.....ffs its like a dog going around in circles chasing its tail :lol:

Technique, stronger, more skill, more awareness, more commitment so he had a lot more influence on a game.

Like this is even an argument, Christ.

youre right about that but not for the right reason

I wouldn't have Iniesta/Zidane down as like for like players btw.

Oh wouldn't you? Well who would you suggest then?

(I just wanted to be part of this argument)

If you are talking up players as being awe inspiring (and I agree Maradona was certainly this) you could easily include the likes of Gazza, Laudrup, Weah, Ginola and many others.

I think when going for the best player in the world you need to have more. Gazza had he been better advised could have possibly been up there but I think his lack of intelligence would have always hampered him.

Maradona was awe inspiring (I still say his goal against England was the best I've ever seen) but he did it along with being massively successful so that's why he's the best for me.

I do think by the time he retires though, Messi will have taken over him though.

I dont think I've seen a better tournament performance than Zidane's at Euro 2000, Maradonna 86 excluded.....or is it?...Maradonna got injured in the England game and contributed comparatively little to the semi and final...is what some people say... ;)

Certainly the Spain teams of the last 3 major tournaments are playing football on a different planet to a lot of what has gone before....but I think we've all seen more entertaining individuals than Iniesta at tournaments in the past e.g. the two above, Cruyff in the 70s,Platini for a couple of tournaments in the 80s etc...thats not to say he's shite, its that a lot of his work comes as part of the Spain "package"....if you're saying Iniesta is underrated, what about Xavi?...I enjoy watching him play more than the rest tbh....thats mostly just for what he brings to the team, range of passing etc.