The Shay Given Appreciation Thread

Ketsbaia

The biggest cheer of the whole match from me came when he headed that ball of the foot of Beattie. Why can't our other players show that sort of attitude and commitment to the cause? He is easily one of the best 'keepers in Europe and he's stuck with us through thick and thin even though he could go to any other club, get first team games and alot of medals to boot. If a substantial offer came in in January for him I wouldn't begrudge him a move.

Legend - FACT

Agreed, if it wasn't for him we'd have lost about 4-0 today, and against a team like Everton, that is shocking.

61591[/snapback]

agreed, especially after spending 50m to improve a top 5 SQUAD.

..... waiting for Gemmil etc to say "give Souness time ... "

Agreed, if it wasn't for him we'd have lost about 4-0 today, and against a team like Everton, that is shocking.

61591[/snapback]

61595[/snapback]

:lol:

You sad freak. A thread about Given and straight away you shoe-horn in your stock post. So boring.

61591[/snapback]

61595[/snapback]

You sad freak. A thread about Given and straight away you shoe-horn in your stock post. So boring.

61599[/snapback]

right on cue ........

True though isn't it

According to Taylor27 on N-O Given is solely to blame for our poor second-half display. :lol:

61596[/snapback]

His thread about NUFC being Chelsea's feeder club was gold aswell (even though it was a blatent piss take)

61591[/snapback]

61595[/snapback]

61599[/snapback]

right on cue ........

True though isn't it

61601[/snapback]

Nah, I think maybe he's had enough time tbh. I wouldn't be against replacing him at the end of the season if we can get a top coach in. I'd hate to see us go down the Steve Bruce route though - although his job at Birmingham is definitely in the balance, so the obstacle of compensation might be removed soon. What a horrible fucking thought.

61591[/snapback]

61595[/snapback]

61599[/snapback]

right on cue ........

True though isn't it

61601[/snapback]

Nah, I think maybe he's had enough time tbh. I wouldn't be against replacing him at the end of the season if we can get a top coach in. I'd hate to see us go down the Steve Bruce route though - although his job at Birmingham is definitely in the balance, so the obstacle of compensation might be removed soon. What a horrible fucking thought.

61605[/snapback]

at last :lol:

Shepherd can't possibly appoint Bruce if Birmingham go down, or go close to going down. Can he ????????

I agree, what a horrible fucking thought !

The time is - whenever the right manager becomes available, or immediately. Like Hitzfeld. Like now. Waiting any longer will see the man you should get, tied up to someone else.

I doubt that Shepherd will also have the footballing nous to go for Hitzfeld unfortunately, most of us will agree with that. I only hope he surprises us all.

Over the years, a few players and people in the game, who left the club, said that Newcastle weren't geared to success, some of them had the chance to do something too ie Gullit, maybe that is why Keegan didn't quite manage it. Whatever that statement means, it would be enlightening to know .......

61591[/snapback]

61595[/snapback]

61599[/snapback]

right on cue ........

True though isn't it

61601[/snapback]

61605[/snapback]

Bruce would probably still be Fat Fred's first choice, but surely even he must realise that Bruce would be even more unpopular than Souness? I just hope Shearer isn't interested in the job.

I think we're probably on a countdown to Shearer being boss. Unfortunately I really don't see it working, but who knows, he might surprise us all. I think at the end of the season it'll be handshakes all round, and a smooth handover. Whether it's a handover to the right man or not is anyone's guess.

I think we'll know as the season goes on - under normal circumstances Shepherd would ditch a manager if results were going as they are. If the circumstances are that he wants to hand over to Shearer with a clean sheet at the beginning of a season, then he'll stick with Souness to that end.

I think we're probably on a countdown to Shearer being boss.  Unfortunately I really don't see it working, but who knows, he might surprise us all.  I think at the end of the season it'll be handshakes all round, and a smooth handover.  Whether it's a handover to the right man or not is anyone's guess.

I think we'll know as the season goes on - under normal circumstances Shepherd would ditch a manager if results were going as they are.  If the circumstances are that he wants to hand over to Shearer with a clean sheet at the beginning of a season, then he'll stick with Souness to that end.

61612[/snapback]

Agree with that. Souness will keep his job until the end of the season - even if we stay where we are in the table - and Shearer will take over in the summer. It's so incredibly predictable and unimaginative, but it's probably the best "long-term plan" the Fat One can come up with.

Gemmill is probably right I'm afraid. I think that is the Lard Lad masterplan too :lol:

Is Hitzfeld realistic? More than likely not but it would do no harm to enquire. What about Le Guen? Burley? Jewell?

61616[/snapback]

Any of the above would be an improvement !

I think we're probably on a countdown to Shearer being boss.  Unfortunately I really don't see it working, but who knows, he might surprise us all.  I think at the end of the season it'll be handshakes all round, and a smooth handover.  Whether it's a handover to the right man or not is anyone's guess.

I think we'll know as the season goes on - under normal circumstances Shepherd would ditch a manager if results were going as they are.  If the circumstances are that he wants to hand over to Shearer with a clean sheet at the beginning of a season, then he'll stick with Souness to that end.

61612[/snapback]

I agree with your prediction Gemmill, and I'm honestly probably less pessimistic on how Shearer will do than you are, although I agree it's a risk. The sad fact is though we are going to have to put up with this shit football and shit results for some time it seems.

Not trying to pick up points, but this is basically what I thought would happen when I heard Souness had become our manager at the airport. I honestly don't think I over-reacted (which, btw, was more a shake of the head and an "oh fuck" than the full scale Basil Fawlty impression you imagine). :lol:

61612[/snapback]

I agree with your prediction Gemmill, and I'm honestly probably less pessimistic on how Shearer will do than you are, although I agree it's a risk. The sad fact is though we are going to have to put up with this shit football and shit results for some time it seems.

Not trying to pick up points, but this is basically what I thought would happen when I heard Souness had become our manager at the airport. I honestly don't think I over-reacted (which, btw, was more a shake of the head and an "oh fuck" than the full scale Basil Fawlty impression you imagine). :lol:

61621[/snapback]

I heard you were thrashing the back page of the Chronicle with a tree branch. :lol:

I hope Shearer is a huge success, but with him being an unknown quantity I can't say that I'm expecting him to be one.

61612[/snapback]

61621[/snapback]

I heard you were thrashing the back page of the Chronicle with a tree branch. :lol:

I hope Shearer is a huge success, but with him being an unknown quantity I can't say that I'm expecting him to be one.

61622[/snapback]

Have you ever met him personally though? I have, and he's nothing like his TV persona. I reckon he's got a lot in his favour - he's intelligent, he knows the game, he can attract top players (we've already seen this), and he I reckon he can be ruthless. Of course he is unproven, and I'm aware that most players don't make great managers, but I've got a feeling Shearer can buck that trend.

We'll see, probably.

61612[/snapback]

I agree with that

Shearer will be his own man, thats for sure, how good he will be is anyones guess

scared shitless of Shearer being manager tbh

Souness should go a week or so before Xmas shopping window opens, give new manager time to buy a defense that he wants.

on an associated thread of conciousness, how would playing Carr, Ramage, Taylor, NewLB strike you lot?

I'v been thinking about it, we won't go down, and we've still got a decent shout at some form of European spot (even if it is the bliddy Inter-two-bob), Why not let these two young defende3rs shoulder the responsibility as they seem to be the best defenders at the club and have the most to gain from continued presence in the first team..

just a thought.

scared shitless of Shearer being manager tbh

Souness should go a week or so before Xmas shopping window opens, give new manager time to buy a defense that he wants.

on an associated thread of conciousness, how would playing Carr, Ramage, Taylor, NewLB strike you lot?

I'v been thinking about it, we won't go down, and we've still got a decent shout at some form of European spot (even if it is the bliddy Inter-two-bob), Why not let these two young defende3rs shoulder the responsibility as they seem to be the best defenders at the club and have the most to gain from continued presence in the first team..

just a thought.

61760[/snapback]

The thought has crossed my mind about a Ramage-Taylor partnership too (although Boumsong improved on his recent displays today). Felt for Ramage, he was excellent apart from their goal. How is the young lad in the reserves progressing, Huntingdon?