Bellamy on way out at Man City

Kitman

Yes I agree, it's his overall value not just his finishing. In particular his pace worries defences and he can play on the break. He can also get a decent shot away as it happens.

Sounds a bit like Obafemi. Admittedly he was a 9ish million pound striker on wages above 60k, something that we're clearly no longer going to be 'indulging' ourselves in.

And Oba is 6 years younger, allegedly :lol: .

Oba has a better scoring record too, surprisingly. Scoring once every 2.76 games, compared to Bellamy every 2.89 games.

For the record I'm not saying Martins is better.

Edited by OzToonFan

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree, it's his overall value not just his finishing. In particular his pace worries defences and he can play on the break. He can also get a decent shot away as it happens.

Sounds a bit like Obafemi. Admittedly he was a 9ish million pound striker on wages above 60k, something that we're clearly no longer going to be 'indulging' ourselves in.

And Oba is 6 years younger, allegedly :icon_lol: .

Oba has a better scoring record too, surprisingly. Scoring once every 2.76 games, compared to Bellamy every 2.89 games.

For the record I'm not saying Martins is better.

Why are you comparing him to Martins? :lol:

FWIW, I think that Bellamy has a much higher work rate, is a better team player, doesn't drift out of games as much, and above all wants to win and doesn't give up trying. That's why he's such a moany bastard.

Maybe I didn't express my point well enough. I'm talking about what Bellamy would particularly bring to the team, which we don't currently have. I'm not saying that's all there is to his game, I think he's a much better all round player than Martins as it happens.

Edited by Kitman

Simply because of the comment regarding pace, ability to play on the break and being able to crack a shot. Immediately made me think of Martins.

Bellamy is no doubt a more well rounded player, but at 6 years his senior he bloody well should be.

How do you think Defoe compares to Bellamy?

Simply because of the comment regarding pace, ability to play on the break and being able to crack a shot. Immediately made me think of Martins.

Bellamy is no doubt a more well rounded player, but at 6 years his senior he bloody well should be.

How do you think Defoe compares to Bellamy?

I've seen a lot less of Defoe as I didn't bother watching Spurs last season. I expect they're broadly comparable, except Defoe might be a better finisher and Bellamy better down the channels and holding onto the ball. Moot comparison though as Defoe's not available?

I still stick by what I said at the time about him being in the wrong more than Souness. Should never have faked injury. Would I have him back? Looking at this squad, 100% yes.

My thoughts exactly.

Trouble with Bellamy is still the same as its always been, he has the talent to play for anybody, but hasnt got the temperament to go with it. His career could have been so much more

It seems odd to me that a player with so much talent has played for so many clubs in a short space of time. Is he a poisonous presence in the squad?

Newcastle

Celtic

Blackburn

West Ham

Liverpool

Man City

Never stayed at any club for more than one season after us. No smoke without fire, and all that.

But would I have him back? Yes I would. We need someone like him and we can't be fussy.

agreed, you'd have to wonder if he'd be a disruptive inlfuence on the squad's team spirit. he's had more clubs than tiger woods and has been described by more than one person that's worked with sas loving a fight so much that he could easily have an argument with himself.

however, for all his faults he is a class player. he would light up our team. the main reason for him not coming back would be shearer, but shearer isn't around so fuck it. he doesn't seem to pick up quite as many injuries as he used to either. he had a good run in the man city side last year.

if we were to just sign him and ben arfa, suddenly our season would have an entirely different outlook.

sadly, i can't see either happening.

Edited by Dr Gloom

I still stick by what I said at the time about him being in the wrong more than Souness. Should never have faked injury. Would I have him back? Looking at this squad, 100% yes.

I said this at the time [when it happened] on another forum. That discussion forum being newcastle/kiddies-online, and i was probably a lone voice on this.

Souness substituting him a fortnight earlier was the thrown cigarette which started the fire, and Bellamy's bewilderment and subsequent tirade when heading for the showers was completely justafied. Souness arrived at the club with an already manufactured view of the player in question.That move [on Souness' part] was the opening salvo in a war of two strong personalities, with Souness flouting his ego & position of power by making a non-footballing based decision.

Footballing-wise it made no sense whatsoever. With three points very much there for the taking you don't substitute a fit and the team's best player and most productive on the day, and the team's most damaging & creative outlet on the counter-attack: especially away from home.

Bellamy is just one of those characters [regardless of which club he's at, and whom he is playing under] who busts his guts come matchday [and out on the training pitch and is prepared to say it how it is. Football ability should supercede personality quirks, it's up to managers to man-manage them, and that doesn't include physically assaulting them in the aftermath/out on the training pitch.

This is going back a bit but in one game, during Keegan's 1st stint as manager, Beresford was having a shocker. Giving up possession cheaply being the main crime committed on the day. Being close to the dug-out, KK was able to convey to him that he had to pick up his game. Beresford told him to 'fuck-off' or something like and was substituted. Beresford lost his spot after that, on performance based merit [i think it was an emerging Howey in a reshuffle of the back 4, somebody will correct on this] but their professional relationship didn't suffer: there were no bruised egos. Unlike the case of Bellamy, Beresford wasn't banished from town & sent to a competition comparable to the Russian Frontier for the remainder of the season.

BTW i'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Edited by Year Zero

I said this at the time [when it happened] on another forum. That discussion forum being newcastle/kiddies-online, and i was probably a lone voice on this.

Souness substituting him a fortnight earlier was the thrown cigarette which started the fire, and Bellamy's bewilderment and subsequent tirade when heading for the showers was completely justafied. Souness arrived at the club with an already manufactured view of the player in question.That move [on Souness' part] was the opening salvo in a war of two strong personalities, with Souness flouting his ego & position of power by making a non-footballing based decision.

Footballing-wise it made no sense whatsoever. With three points very much there for the taking you don't substitute a fit and the team's best player and most productive on the day, and the team's most damaging & creative outlet on the counter-attack: especially away from home.

Bellamy is just one of those characters [regardless of which club he's at, and whom he is playing under] who busts his guts come matchday [and out on the training pitch and is prepared to say it how it is. Football ability should supercede personality quirks, it's up to managers to man-manage them, and that doesn't include physically assaulting them in the aftermath/out on the training pitch.

This is going back a bit but in one game, during Keegan's 1st stint as manager, Beresford was having a shocker. Giving up possession cheaply being the main crime committed on the day. Being close to the dug-out, KK was able to convey to him that he had to pick up his game. Beresford told him to 'fuck-off' or something like and was substituted. Beresford lost his spot after that, on performance based merit [i think it was an emerging Howey in a reshuffle of the back 4, somebody will correct on this] but their professional relationship didn't suffer: there were no bruised egos. Unlike the case of Bellamy, Beresford wasn't banished from town & sent to a competition comparable to the Russian Frontier for the remainder of the season.

I'd agree with that. He had the same opinion of Robert, who he dropped like a sack of shite when he arrived before he started blathering on about "wide workers". My favourite memory of Souness' time at NUFC is when he did the phone in with Mick Lowes and every other call was from a someone extremely fucked off he wasn't picking Robert :lol:

He was shipped out completely for arguably the tamest of his regular interviews with the French press where rather than slag off anyone he just claimed we were in a better team the year before which was near impossible to dispute.

If he hadn't left the club that time under Souness, he'd have left for something else. The lad is pure trouble and seems to need constant managerial attention.

Saying that, I'd have him, Jenas, Bassong, Beye etc all back.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Bits in bold spot on. He called Souness a prick at Charlton, that was it really. Souness is a complete cunt of a man more so than Bellamy, his constant blame at everyone but himself sums that cunt up when talking about NUFC.

Bellamy was and is without any doubt our biggest game changer of the last 10 years, would be criminal to say we don't want him because of his fall out with someone who is an arsehole. If Bellamy's honest with himself he probably loves this club more than any he's played for regardless what he might say, and he'd come back.

If he hadn't left the club that time under Souness, he'd have left for something else. The lad is pure trouble and seems to need constant managerial attention.

He probably would have but that doesn't get away from the fact that when he left he was easily the best player on our books. He's a gobshite but Souness was just as bad if not worse. Didn't he nearly break Bellamy's legs in training as part of some pathetic "I'm the Daddy now, Banks!" brinkmanship.

Bits in bold spot on. He called Souness a prick at Charlton, that was it really. Souness is a complete cunt of a man more so than Bellamy, his constant blame at everyone but himself sums that cunt up when talking about NUFC.

Bellamy was and is without any doubt our biggest game changer of the last 10 years, would be criminal to say we don't want him because of his fall out with someone who is an arsehole. If Bellamy's honest with himself he probably loves this club more than any he's played for regardless what he might say, and he'd come back.

He should count himself lucky. In the stand there were a few thousand Geordies calling him worse :lol: Bellamy ran that game.

Was a very good player for us, a right little twat, didn't mince his words, probably not too popular, wasn't a shirker and fell for Souness's banana skin as he wasn't that bright, he's better than anything we've got up front at the minute even after all the years he's been away and we could do worse than get him. However, it'll never happen in a million years as I doubt we'd even consider paying his wages for a season long loan let alone actually buying him outright, also too much water under the bridge with the stick he took from us for slagging Shearer . What if we'd had a manager that could've actually managed a right little twat like him instead of the stupendously awful Souness.

completely irrelevant to the NUFC fans with half a brain.

Unfortunately it would be made to be all too relevant.

I'd be in for him like a shot.

there IS a fair few thousand of them without half a brain, or without a brain at all.

The bottom line is pro-Bellamy or anti-Bellamy, we wouldn't go for him. We are back to square one as far as I'm concerned, we were a selling and deeply unambitious club when I first got into football in the eighties and it's come full circle.

This.

Maybe some former club greats can come back & try to arrange some mass coaching clinics/supporter days to try and drum up some transfer funds for the manager, while the club's owner & current board attempt to hide behind the veil of a youth system. I'm taking the piss, but this was Keegan's 1st proposition before he even thought about entertaining the notion of a consultancy managing/coaching slot. It goes to show what people/supporters minds flash back to, or the sort of absurdities one come drum up when 2nd & 3rd Raters run the club - as you say 'it's come around full circle'.

In addition a bid of 1 million quid [or some sort of comparable/derisory bid]most likely won't even get us to second base.

Edited by Year Zero

He probably would have but that doesn't get away from the fact that when he left he was easily the best player on our books. He's a gobshite but Souness was just as bad if not worse. Didn't he nearly break Bellamy's legs in training as part of some pathetic "I'm the Daddy now, Banks!" brinkmanship.

Prick. He did something similar to Yorkie at Blackburn.

Was glad he went when he did. Central to a lot of the issues we had.

Right now I'd have him back in an instant. Would improve the squad no end. Trouble is he needs a strong manager but also one who can make him feel loved too. Hughes is ideal for him but I don't think Hughton would be.

I can see him going to Fulham.

We’d be foolish not to take him on a half season to a years loan, get us higher up the league and consolidate for a push on the top 10 next season. Without, it’s going to be tough.

In terms of ability he’s a wide forward or second striker. He’s not comparable to martins as he is:

A). able to create goals out of nothing for his team mates – Martins was always blinkered and just went for goal.

:lol:. has a good work ethic

C). doesn’t lie about his age

D) Is not a traditional centre forward. Note how he often played on the left side of the front 3 or as a left sided attacker (even though he’s all right foot).

He’s an angry tosser but really I can only see us benefiting with him in the side.

As I've said already, I was all for Bellamy being kicked out 5 years ago but you can't hold grudges over shit that's gone before. In our current predicament it's about one simple question:

Would he improve our team?

Answer: Most definitely!