Steve Harper on Monday

loonyTOON

Just watching the match again, and feel that all three goals could have been prevented by harper. The first two goals, his reactions look very slow. And the third, he had enough time to take a step then dive. Made some good saves too, but can't help but feel like he could of done a lot more.

I think its a bit harsh to say they were all his fault but I do agree that he didnt look very good at all.

Its only the first game and its against man utd remember, but saying that I wouldnt mind Krul getting more game time as the season goes on.

Someone said on here that there is no room for sentiment in the premier league.

I think its a bit harsh to say they were all his fault but I do agree that he didnt look very good at all.

Its only the first game and its against man utd remember, but saying that I wouldnt mind Krul getting more game time as the season goes on.

Someone said on here that there is no room for sentiment in the premier league.

He isn't vocal enough either, he should be yelling at his back line, Given - esque.

third one maybe, first was a good finish imo, cant blame the keeper

second should have been defended, hows he meant to stop a shot from 2 yards that he cant see?

third one maybe, first was a good finish imo, cant blame the keeper

second should have been defended, hows he meant to stop a shot from 2 yards that he cant see?

granted, but he sees fletcher turn and he doesn't even drop. No reaction. Just wonder whether he's slowing up. First was well put away but again his reactions were slow

id have to see it again but I think you're expecting way too much tbh

seen it again

you're talking out of your arse tbh, writing harper off because of that game is ludicrous

Krul made his debut about 4 years ago man. How long are we going to wait to give him a go?

Yeah, he's hardly a 16 year old just out the juniors, he's played in the UEFA cup!

I think Harper probably earned the starting place after last season and Hughton is conservative and unlikely to throw the younger keeper in, but i'd like to see Krul ease Harper out as no.1 this season and become our new top man.

Harper did ok last night made a couple decent saves and a couple of mistakes. I will admit i'm a big Krul fan and he is the future but as someone has already said you can't stick an inexperienced young keeper in goal when your looking to attain your status in the Premiership. Go with what you know and i think this season it'll be Harper all the way unless he gets injured.

I'm not sure. Harper has been a good keeper and would have been a regular in most teams. Given too while he was first choice was glaringly not good at crosses and commanding his 6 yard box. In spite of this he too was a good keeper and it was criminal to lose someone who had been committed to the club and would not have wanted to leave if the backround politics and circumstances had not changed.

There is a case for giving Krul a run, having signed a new contract, and someone at the club has decided he is worth it.

Krul made his debut about 4 years ago man. How long are we going to wait to give him a go?

we don't really need to though do we? if harper was on his last legs, it might be worth it. i think he's got a bit to offer just yet. plus he's an experienced keeper, which is a good thing to have in a relegation battle.

we don't really need to though do we? if harper was on his last legs, it might be worth it. i think he's got a bit to offer just yet. plus he's an experienced keeper, which is a good thing to have in a relegation battle.

are we in a relegation battle?

are we in a relegation battle?

if we don't sign more players, yes

The only comment I made on Harper during the game was that he's no Schmeichel. That bastard would make himself huge as he bore down on anyone squaring up to shoot. He'd do his big star jump with limbs all over the shop. Harper seems to wait for the shot and try to react to it and pull off the save. None of the goals were scored from a range to have a chance at that though.

Edited by Happy Face

This isn't the season to be throwing a rookie keeper into the starting 11. Harper good enough for now. Give krul a run in the league cup

Well he got thrown in the deepend against WBA, first game last season and excelled.

And like someone said, he's not a 16 year old youth anymore.

I for one would love to see him ease into the first team, but i think Harper will be #1 come end of season unless he gets an injury.

Edited by 1892

I agree he doesn't look good enough. First goal hye just fell backwards onto his arse when the shot was 99% going to go across him. Second goal fair enough, some piss poor defending let him down. Third was awful. In both the defending and Harpers effort.

Give Krul his go. Hughton though doesn't have enough about him to take on the senior players and piss them off.

Harper is the least of our problems to be honest.

He isn't like. He's a weak link in a crucial position imo. He'll be far more exposed this season too.