A Level Results..

Kevin

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maths is that easy he felt the need to repeat it. Either that or he is shit at English.

I'll go with the first one, as accidentally posting something twice isn't really evidence for someone being shit at English.

Hello.

I just got off the phone with a girl from university of ulster. She gave me a choice, because i only have a C in GCSE maths, computer science at jordanstown you need a B. she said that i can chose to repeat the maths and she will give me an offer (she said shes giving me offers for Magee (x2) and Coleraine). If i chose not to repeat maths she would allow me to change my choice to ICT, instead of computer science, where you need a C at GCSE. would it be worth trying to get a B in it in may? or should i not risk it and drop to ICT.

The degree is what enables you to go for the career you want, no point doing it/one for the sake of it otherwise, will ICT cover you for what you want to do or do you need computer science?

As easy as people are saying maths is, when you've not been in the habbit of doing equations and the like and it's been two years since you've done it you quickly forget, i'd say the biggest example is people who did French/German etc for 7years at school and would struggling to form a sentence in it 3years after leaving.

imo in levels of difficulty ict being the easiest and what i'd guess the job you'd be going for with said degree it goes like

ICT > generic i.t type job

Computer Science > Generic it type job/possibly coding/more likely Q&A-testing

Software Engineering > Development/Q&A

not that i have any of the 3, but if i was hiring someone that's how i'd look at them.

edit> on a side note i don't know what c-science is like at jordanstown but i know 4 people who have done software engineering there and all said it was a good course and better than the Queens equivalent, one of my best friends did his at j-town as well as part of the degree worked sun microsystems in dublin for a year which was great for getting experience.

that's the thing, i don't want to do a normal ICT job involving basic software etc. thats all boring. I want to get more into the technical side of things which is why i applied for computer science. I'm repeating now.

Queens is easier to get into than Jordanstown for some reason (BBC and C at GCSE maths) so it won't do any harm in repeating.

Hello.

I just got off the phone with a girl from university of ulster. She gave me a choice, because i only have a C in GCSE maths, computer science at jordanstown you need a B. she said that i can chose to repeat the maths and she will give me an offer (she said shes giving me offers for Magee (x2) and Coleraine). If i chose not to repeat maths she would allow me to change my choice to ICT, instead of computer science, where you need a C at GCSE. would it be worth trying to get a B in it in may? or should i not risk it and drop to ICT.

The degree is what enables you to go for the career you want, no point doing it/one for the sake of it otherwise, will ICT cover you for what you want to do or do you need computer science?

As easy as people are saying maths is, when you've not been in the habbit of doing equations and the like and it's been two years since you've done it you quickly forget, i'd say the biggest example is people who did French/German etc for 7years at school and would struggling to form a sentence in it 3years after leaving.

imo in levels of difficulty ict being the easiest and what i'd guess the job you'd be going for with said degree it goes like

ICT > generic i.t type job

Computer Science > Generic it type job/possibly coding/more likely Q&A-testing

Software Engineering > Development/Q&A

not that i have any of the 3, but if i was hiring someone that's how i'd look at them.

edit> on a side note i don't know what c-science is like at jordanstown but i know 4 people who have done software engineering there and all said it was a good course and better than the Queens equivalent, one of my best friends did his at j-town as well as part of the degree worked sun microsystems in dublin for a year which was great for getting experience.

that's the thing, i don't want to do a normal ICT job involving basic software etc. thats all boring. I want to get more into the technical side of things which is why i applied for computer science. I'm repeating now.

Queens is easier to get into than Jordanstown for some reason (BBC and C at GCSE maths) so it won't do any harm in repeating.

course is better than Queens from what i know, but your degree sounds better when it comes form Queens, so bit of a trade off.

If you wanna be a programmer/more technical, software engineering is the way to go, but I assume they're looking for better grades? or a-level maths

upto you, your only one who knows if your capable of doing it or not/how much effort your putting in.

I remember looking at different software engineering courses, they all needed A Level maths and one science or something like that. I'll put in the work definitely and I reckon i'll enjoy it. Just need to wait and see if queens make me an offer.

Dear Mr Gallagher

Congratulations; University of Ulster has asked us to tell you that it is offering you a place for Computing (Internet Systems) with DIS, G420; starting in September 2011 at point of entry 1.

The conditions of the offer are:

This offer is subject to you obtaining

A minimum of 280 UCAS Tariff points

including

GCE A level

Grades BB

Dear Mr Gallagher

Congratulations; University of Ulster has asked us to tell you that it is offering you a place for Computing (Internet Systems) with DIS, G420; starting in September 2011 at point of entry 1.

including

GCE A level

Grades BB

Dear Mr Gallagher

including

GCE A level

Grades BB

Did you start supporting us as your namesake played here? :lol:

Dear Mr Gallagher

including

GCE A level

Grades BB

Did you start supporting us as your namesake played here? :lol:

no :o

What is 280 points? BBC? If so you're already fucked.

Could be worse, could go on 4chan with the rest of my paedophile chums ;)

Hope you get in mate. Genuine piece of advice though; knuckle down now, put the work in and cement your place, when you get savour every minute of it because Uni life is fucking quality. However, don't waste the opportunity or you'll regret it.

If you've messed about during A-Levels you're going to be tempted to try the same shit and you'll soon find that shit don't fly.

Oh and fuck, finger and fumble with as many girls as you can. :lol:

Wait is Kevin staying at home while at Uni? That's fucking lame, complete waste of the opportunity if you ask me.

Fancy being at Uni and having to sneak in cos you don't want to wake your mam. :lol:

Wait is Kevin staying at home while at Uni? That's fucking lame, complete waste of the opportunity if you ask me.

Fancy being at Uni and having to sneak in cos you don't want to wake your mam. :lol:

Leave with a sh!t load less debt and never have to make your bed in the morning.

Sounds perfect to me.

Just go back to hers.

Edited by DesperateDannyB

Leave with a sh!t load less debt and never have to make your bed in the morning.

Sounds perfect to me.

Just go back to hers.

You stayed at home during Uni?

No surprise you've ended up hawking shit phones from a call centre then :o

Sounds perfect to me.

Just go back to hers.

You stayed at home during Uni?

No surprise you've ended up hawking shit phones from a call centre then :o

No I went to Uni in Exeter but my brother did. He only came home when he had nowhere else to sleep, seemed to have a great time and came out with about a quarter of the debt I did. Without having to really fend for himself.

I can see why poeple do it.

• 6 months later...

So results out next thursday. I've already prepared myself for the inevitable. Applied for a course in the tech as a back up, foundation degree in systems development, after 2 years this course takes you into university cause it's run by the uni of ulster. Need CDD to get in or something. Plus NI fees aint going up :icon_lol:

But if i get in then happy days, if i dont its better in a way. Cause at the moment i don't have a clue about programming etc. this course will prepare me for that.