A Level Results..

Kevin

Well done Clee, glad you got in.

Kevin, why are you contemplating civil engineering? Do you know much about it?

My advice would be not to go into an area you're not sure about just because you want to go to uni next year. Don't waste thousands of pounds and 3/4 years of your life on a course you're not interested in.

I was one grade short when I did my A-levels and instead of going through clearing to a course/uni I didn't really want to be at, I took a year out, re-sat one of the A-levels and got the grades I needed in order to do the course that I really wanted to do.

Aye im just going to wait to see what magee say, if they say no then im going to the tech. doing a systems development course there for 2 years and then into uni.

Dear Mr Gallagher

Congratulations; University of Ulster has asked us to tell you that it is offering you a place for Computing (Internet Systems) with DIS, G420; starting in September 2011 at point of entry 1.

The conditions of the offer are:

This offer is subject to you obtaining

A minimum of 280 UCAS Tariff points

including

GCE A level

Grades BB

The only reason to go to Uni is for the life experience, and you simply wont get that if you stay at home.

I'd seriously consider not doing an IT degree they'll teach you nothing of worth. You'd be better off sitting the Microsoft, Cisco and Citrix exams and build a few VM's -download Microsoft Official Course (MOC) and exams from visualcertexam.com you'll soon get the hang of it. If you get the certs and do all the Microsoft courses you'll should be a shoe in for a small company IT dept.

Go down the Uni route and you'll end up in a call center.

Cheers, i'll take a look at it :lol:

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you people :lol:.

Oh and by the way for any Landan/Middlesex fans here, I want to "follow" a lower/non league club while i'm there, you know when Newcastle arent playing away nearby etc. Any recommendations? I was thinking of going to Hampton and Richmond but not too sure yet, i'm quite sure Brentfords nearby too! Just want a nice club where it's cheap to get in and watch, but the standard and facilities aren't so horrific.

Dear Mr Gallagher

Congratulations; University of Ulster has asked us to tell you that it is offering you a place for Computing (Internet Systems) with DIS, G420; starting in September 2011 at point of entry 1.

including

GCE A level

Grades BB

The only reason to go to Uni is for the life experience, and you simply wont get that if you stay at home.

I'd seriously consider not doing an IT degree they'll teach you nothing of worth. You'd be better off sitting the Microsoft, Cisco and Citrix exams and build a few VM's -download Microsoft Official Course (MOC) and exams from visualcertexam.com you'll soon get the hang of it. If you get the certs and do all the Microsoft courses you'll should be a shoe in for a small company IT dept.

the ONLY reason? what an unmitigated load of arsegravy

Dear Mr Gallagher

including

GCE A level

Grades BB

the ONLY reason? what an unmitigated load of arsegravy

Care to back that statement up?

Too right - I'm just now at my regular weight before uni - after graduating in 2008 :lol:

It fluctuated but the end of my second year I came back fat as fuck! (for me anyway)

I'm too skinny as it is anyway, could probs do with being a fat fuck for a few years.

Is the Madejski decent for a neutral Brock? I might go to a game or two, I think Readings quite close.

If you spend your money on drink, drugs, loose women, and half a cup of lentils, you shouldn't put on any weight. Worry about that in your 30s.

Congrats Clee, what course have you gone for?

History :lol: , and no I don't want to be a history teacher :lol:. Thanks I didn't actually think i'd get in!

Clee, I have a history and politics degree, so if you need help...............................I'll laugh at your expense. Only joking. It is important you have a career plan when you do such a subject, otherwise you'll end up drifting around shitty jobs like I have. Another bit of career advice is that you should not want to go into the heritage/museum sector. They pay is appalling, they expect you to have volunteered (i.e. Practically a full-time job for nowt) for 2 years at least before even the lowest job, and due to the recession and the olympics, budgets from government/councils will be savaged.

Yeah, I did my degree because I was really into it, then forked out for a post-grad course in order to work in museums etc. I did the latter to try and work out a career that applied to the former-a bit cart before the horse. Don't do that, especially now we have top-up fees and all the rest of it.

There's a halfway house depending on what kind of thing you're studying. I did languages because I knew I wanted to go into a career involving languages, I just didn't know what yet. But obviously that doesn't work with a lot of degree paths.

How fluent did you have to be, and in how many languages, for that course? What sort of work can you realistically get if you speak, say, English and a European language? I'm thinking of studying some French/German just for kicks. I don't fancy a teaching job because I read somewhere that students seduce you and then cry rape and have the Thai mafia laying seige to your flat until you hand over £4k.

Phil, are you disputing graduates earn more than non-graduates on average, or that it really helps to have a degree in medicine to become a doctor? Arsegravey indeed.

Are you saying current figure will be the same as future ones?

As much as you want to win a debate through knit picking, the guy wants to do an IT degree in web design. So please think about the relevance of the tripe you are pushing. Doctor, lawyer, accountant, teacher etc... ALL have to do post graduate course. And most will say they started their education started when they got into practice.

Congrats Clee, what course have you gone for?

History ;) , and no I don't want to be a history teacher :icon_lol:. Thanks I didn't actually think i'd get in!

Clee, I have a history and politics degree, so if you need help...............................I'll laugh at your expense. Only joking. It is important you have a career plan when you do such a subject, otherwise you'll end up drifting around shitty jobs like I have. Another bit of career advice is that you should not want to go into the heritage/museum sector. They pay is appalling, they expect you to have volunteered (i.e. Practically a full-time job for nowt) for 2 years at least before even the lowest job, and due to the recession and the olympics, budgets from government/councils will be savaged.

Thanks, yeah i'm not too sure yet what I want to do :lol: , I still have an embarrassingly stupid and naive hope of becoming a novelist. I know it will never happen mind but hey, we all dream don't we? There's obviously the other options of being a historian and everything, but that too is just being stupid thinking I can do it. I did my extended project on the Spanish Civil War :lol: , 5000 words on foreign intervention in the Spanish Civil War, that's when you knwo you're ready for Uni.

How fluent did you have to be, and in how many languages, for that course? What sort of work can you realistically get if you speak, say, English and a European language? I'm thinking of studying some French/German just for kicks. I don't fancy a teaching job because I read somewhere that students seduce you and then cry rape and have the Thai mafia laying seige to your flat until you hand over £4k.

The uni course I did required decent A-levels in the languages concerned. But if you're doing something more obscure - my better half, for example, studied Serbian and Croatian for some reason or other - then you can start from scratch at degree level as long as you've demonstrated proficiency in languages generally.

That said, it's not like you need a degree in a language to go down that kind of career route - a Welsh mate of mine from my Mainz days moved to Germany with nothing but a beer belly and the number of a good dealer, worked night security jobs for a few years, learned the language as he went, and ended up heading up the security team at the US Consulate in Frankfurt. Sometimes you just have to take the plunge and accept the inherent risks. Mind, he's unemployed and living in a granny flat in Knutsford now, but there you go.

And most will say they started their education started when they got into practice.

But they couldn't have got there without what went before, surely? Same as I learned more about translation in the first six months of my first job than I did at uni, but I wouldn't have been in that job if I hadn't learned German in the first place. :lol:

Phil, are you disputing graduates earn more than non-graduates on average, or that it really helps to have a degree in medicine to become a doctor? Arsegravey indeed.

Are you saying current figure will be the same as future ones?

As much as you want to win a debate through knit picking, the guy wants to do an IT degree in web design. So please think about the relevance of the tripe you are pushing. Doctor, lawyer, accountant, teacher etc... ALL have to do post graduate course. And most will say they started their education started when they got into practice.

Even a cursory glance through the IT jobs at my place shows requirement of a degree as an entry qualification. Of course there's more to Uni than just the social life, whatever you study. And you can't do a postgraduate qualification without being a graduate ffs.

Dear Mr Gallagher

including

GCE A level

Grades BB

** edit **

just seen the course is geared towards websites;

This course is aimed at students who are seeking a career within the computing industry, with special emphasis on the design and maintenance of web sites.

http://prospectus.ulster.ac.uk/course/?id=8095

All you need is here;

http://www.webmonkey.com/tutorials/

Saw its a sandwich course, so not as bad as some courses. I'd still look to get the certs to stand out.

Depends what he wants to do, if you think having an msce etc is going to fair better going in for a job than a degree you are mental imo, most shortlisting is "degree or X#years Experience+those types of certs"

I cringe when i get emails with the Mr blah DeBlah MS.CE etc on them

Developments where the cash is (was cisco certified and never bothered using it)

not that i'm saying the courses will be any use (software engineering like i said would be but the others i never thought much of)

if i'd the choice of student with it course and msce's or a student with a soft engi degree whose spent a year working for Sun or something i'd take #2 everytime.

I'm not comparing a degree to an MCSE (which don't exist anymore). I compared it to having Microsoft, Citrix and Cisco exams with four years experience working on the job in a small company with an experience IT manager.

I guess we differ on how we'd hire. I'd want someone who could do the job. A IT Uni grad will have to blag it - as working in labs is no comparison. The sandwich element is the only thing of worth in the degree. But i suspect the course is too broad to pick up any real skills.

I guess the telling question is ow many small businesses are hiring in the area.