Next captain?

Craig

Who should replace Shearer as captain?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gol's mention in another thread raises an interesting question. Who should replace Shearer as captain when the old man retires this summer?

For me, there is only 3 players (possibly 4) in the current squad who I would contemplate and one of them stands out head and shoulders above the rest:

Shay Given

While I think he'd be a good choice for Captain, I've always been against the idea of a goalkeeper as the team captain as he can't offer much influence past his back four. On top of that, a goalkeeper should always 'captain' his back four anyway and leave the rest of the team to the actual captain.

Michael Owen

He may be vice-captain for England but for me he's simply not commanding enough to be considered the captain. I think any decision to install him as Shearer's successor would be a vain attempt to ensure that he stayed on at the club. It would be totally patronising IMO.

Scott Parker

The natural choice IMO, solid & commanding and the potential to be a true leader. He has youth on his side so could cement the role for years to come in a similar way to how Roy Keane did at Manchester United.

Steven Taylor

Perhaps sometime in the future but far too young and inexperienced at the moment IMO.

Totally agree with Chayton. Owen is the obvious choice in the vain hope it keeps him here another season but Parker, as his performances thus far have showed, is the best option.

I personally don't think having strikers as captains is a good idea as they can't really see what's going on all over the pitch.

Parker is an obvious and solid choice. But has he been here long enough to inspire the rest of the squad? Only the dressing room would know.

Neither of our (supposed) first-choice centre-backs should be considered and I dont think Taylor has the experience yet. In fact I wouldn't have even considered him had he not been listed.

Parker's positional play is very good and that leaves him in a better position to view the game.

Given is an understandable choice and I think if he was anything other than a goalkeeper I'd agree. Of course if he was something other than a goalkeeper he might not play for NUFC but that's besides the point :lol: