Chris Hughton

Dr Gloom

Re; my striker complaints.

Was reading the following earlier.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl...61634-27176401/

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-ne...634-27176373/2/

He said: “We did look at bringing in another striker on loan, but I was always mindful of the fact that, if we were going to do that, it had to be someone considerably better than what we have already got here.

“There wasn’t anyone available who was going to do that so we left it. There was no point signing someone just for the sake of it.

Hughton has not get everything he asked for. He asked about the loan signing of Manchester City’s Roque Santa Cruz or Liverpool’s David N’Gog before he failed to get Robbie Keane from Tottenham on a similar season-long deal.

There have been other targets who have moved elsewhere for more money than he was able to spend and there have been some requests turned down. But Hughton has no complaints above the level of support he has been given from the boardroom.

The lack of a new striker would appear to be the one glaring oversight. And the failed bid for Keane this week illustrates Hughton knows this is an area of the side that needed to be strengthened, even if he will stick rigidly to the ‘happy with what he has got’ mantra from now until January.

United have spent much of the last three months scouring Europe for a forward and there was a failed bid of more than £4m for Paris Saint Germain’s Turkish international Mevlut Erdinc back in July.

There have probably been other bids rejected for other players which never saw the light of day, and this is likely to be the one bit of recruitment activity we can expect to see in the New Year.

Fair enough and all, but I still think we should have made sure to bring one in. Sounds like the striker loans were only discussed towards the end of the window, with a few bids made earlier on which came to nothing. I guess none came within the budget Ashley set him and I respect that Hughton didn't get a striker in just for the sake of having another, if he's no better than the players already here (I'm sure whoever he had in mind is better than Ameobi and Best with that said).

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if he doesn't drop at least one of Smith/Nolan for the Everton game than he will go down a lot in my estimation.

Agreed. Has to be Smith first in my mind although I'd consider dropping Nolan too. I'd consider the following for the starting midfield against Everton:

Routledge-----Barton-----Tiote-----Ben Afra

We desperately needed a striker in the window like..

Agreed. Has to be Smith first in my mind although I'd consider dropping Nolan too. I'd consider the following for the starting midfield against Everton:

Rather go 4-5-1 with Barton or Ben Arfa behind Carroll and Gutierrez on the wing.

Otherwise I fully agree and without wanting to sound like a broken record our lack of decent strikers will cost us dearly.

if he doesn't drop at least one of Smith/Nolan for the Everton game than he will go down a lot in my estimation.

thing is, at the moment, who are you putting up top there?

with our options as they are Id be playing

----------harps

perch- willo-colo-jose

-------tiote - barton

routledge - ben arfa - jonas

-------------carroll

what else can we do? we dont have the players for a lot of other systems really, but we've a lot of CMs on the books we need to be playing 2 and one off carroll

home or away thats a team that would go out and try to win games, its got some aggression and pace in it and enough in the more forward midfield line to press on and worry defences

you can talk of dropping jonas or routledge all you like but the fact is the only position we have the luxury of dropping our "first choices" is CM since we've got so many of them around the same level, prem quality or not, who do you bring in for the wide 2?

I am quickly becoming impressed with Hughton. The first time for a long time it looks like the manager is running the show and not a group of prima donna players.

No players running to the press to air their views prior to matches and for once a team playing as a team, makes such a difference.

Chris Hughton, always learning :)

Sometimes I don't think he is learning fast enough. I think he is slow in making his substitutions when it is obvious to the onlooker a change should be made.

Against Everton Routledge was not having much of an impact, Hughton should have replaced him with Jonas at halftime.

I sometimes think Smith is getting unnecessary flak when you consider he gained prominence as a striker. Maybe he would be an asset behind Carroll or up front with him.

I hope Wilson can do better than Perch when he is fit.

By the way, if you've missed me doing the odd post, I've been in Gateshead and around for 5 weeks. Was at the Villa & Blackpool matches, talk about High & Low.

Chris Hughton, always learning :)

Sometimes I don't think he is learning fast enough. I think he is slow in making his substitutions when it is obvious to the onlooker a change should be made.

Against Everton Routledge was not having much of an impact, Hughton should have replaced him with Jonas at halftime.

I sometimes think Smith is getting unnecessary flak when you consider he gained prominence as a striker. Maybe he would be an asset behind Carroll or up front with him.

I hope Wilson can do better than Perch when he is fit.

By the way, if you've missed me doing the odd post, I've been in Gateshead and around for 5 weeks. Was at the Villa & Blackpool matches, talk about High & Low.

Wilson? Smith as a forward?

What is this I don't even.