Chris Hughton

Dr Gloom

Fair play Chris Hughton. i don't think he's put a foot wrong since he took over as manager.

Isn't it time we all started giving him some credit for the job he's done?

Long may he continue to prove the doubters wrong.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here here. I question some of his purchases, but then I could say that about every manager. The single biggest thing has to be the solidarity between the players. Something thats vital. Like today, fighting for the ball for 90 mins. He has to take the credit for getting us back in one, and equally for where we are now. Lets not get carried away though.

indeed, hes got one thing in his favour over the likes of alex ferguson at least

he doesnt look a complete berk when hes celebrating a goal

What i'm really hoping to see is him taking the big, ruthless decisions, and not having favourtism to the more senior players. For example if he dumps Smith out the team for Guthrie or the new lad it'll show he realises Smith for all his effort and committment isn't going to be good enough and that he's not worried about dropping him to the bench.

And down the line i fear there will come a time when he has to get Krul in for Harper and i hope he's willing to make that call and not take the easy option of keep the kid out the team as he's around for years, because Krul won't wait for ever even if he has signed a new contract.

But he does deserve alot of credit for getting us back up with no fuss or drama at the first attempt and if he establishes us back in the prem he'll deserve alot more credit.

Fair play Chris Hughton. i don't think he's put a foot wrong since he took over as manager.

Isn't it time we all started giving him some credit for the job he's done?

Long may he continue to prove the doubters wrong.

He's received plenty of credit.

He's put plenty of feet wrong. Wrong attitude in some matches, some bad signings, dodgy tactics and can frustrate when it comes to subs.

Then again, he's instilled a great team ethic, attitude and spirit in amongst the players. He's clearly worked extremely hard in all areas of football management. He got us promoted at the first attempt. He's never complained about the refs, the media, other clubs nor has he fallen out with any of the players. 

He's something we're not used to- he's neither a "Legend" or a self important ego maniac tit.

He has no previous connection to NUFC.

He just seems to be getting with what he's got at his disposal.

Let's see if he can get us to a position where the pressure of expectation begins to weigh on him.

Meanwhile, carry on.

i don't think he's had that much credit. his name has never been sung that much by the crowd. most of us, me included, never fancied him at all as a manager. didn't think he was a big enough personality. didn't think he'd last the season.

im starting to think again. one thing has been clear from our first couple of games - even the defeat to man u when we were outclassed - is he's got the lads playing as a team with good spirit. long time since we've had that.

i wonder whether in hughton we might by chance have stumbled across exactly the manager we need for the situation we're in.

still a long way to go obviously....

Edited by Dr Gloom

Lots of respect for Hughton.

The thing is he's earned it but it may be brittle considering the long season ahead.

Either way, top bloke and he's got a great group of lads.

I think for me its the worry that hes had an easy ride so far ie we walked a league that was dismal however after today Im starting to think differently.

No matter what though, I think the blokes earned the respect from us fans. This club could have gone into freefall (as many of us expected) but his level headedness was what kept us on the straight and narrow.

Im still not convinced hes got what it takes to move us forward and trouble is if he does well then he'll be poached by a club with some form of ambition, until then Im happy with him in charge.

We've all doubted him over the last year, but today may be the first real signs ie PL test that he has what it takes. The side for the most part looked cogent and organised and the link up play was good (haven't seen that in ages to any real degree). He has also against all odds kept faith in AC3, this I suspect is in part due to the lack of cash available, but all the same has managed to bring the lad on in leaps and bounds.

I still have doubts about him at the highest levels of the PL, but it is starting to look like he can make a team play on the ground and not panick. Williamson and Routledge have been good buys for peanuts and Perch given time might also be alright. He has the highest coaching badge, but it is a great leap from that to being a successful PL manager and tough times will come this season and hard choices will have to be made, then it will be clearer how much talent CH has as a top notch manager. He might be steady and realistic, but the next level is intuition, gut feelings and tactical awareness that only the best managers have.

The next test for CH is to put a run together, which is the hardest thing in this league for sides like ours with all its fragility. Today though apart from the opening 10/15 minutes when Villa came out of the blocks like they meant business, we destroyed what is a top 8 side.

He's done brilliantly for us, but I wouldn't say he was without criticism. His substitutions have, at times, been confusing, but all in all yeah he's a good manager for us at the moment.

I'd have liked to see him give Vuckic the last 10 minutes today.

Absolutely. I thought that myself, perfect game to give him some PL experience. Missed opportunity, but both striking-subs, Shola and Xisco set-up a goal apiece.

Edited by Barney

Probably will start against Accrington I would have thought.

On Hughton, the test will come if/when we have a bad run - but so far so good.

Yeah, but we're not going to learn anything about Vuckic when (if) he faces Accrington. No disrespect to them, but our second string should be able to beat them. We need to see how the kids stack up against Premier League opposition so if we need to throw someone on, we know who's the best shot. Even though the game was over, the intelligence and experience of the premier league players would make it a less forgiving proposition.

seems like a wasted opportunity.

Yeah, but we're not going to learn anything about Vuckic when (if) he faces Accrington. No disrespect to them, but our second string should be able to beat them. We need to see how the kids stack up against Premier League opposition so if we need to throw someone on, we know who's the best shot. Even though the game was over, the intelligence and experience of the premier league players would make it a less forgiving proposition.

seems like a wasted opportunity.

I'd argue that you'd learn more about him in the game against Accrington then against Villa. Accrington are going to come out fighting with their fans right behind them against a Premiership side, probably offering us a tough physical game and we'd be able to see whether he's got the mentality to handle that sort of environment. Whereas I don't think you're going to learn anything putting him on when we're 4-0 up in a game which had basically turned into an exhibition with Villa looking an absolute shambles of a team and who had virtually given up.

I'd argue that you'd learn more about him in the game against Accrington then against Villa. Accrington are going to come out fighting with their fans right behind them against a Premiership side, probably offering us a tough physical game and we'd be able to see whether he's got the mentality to handle that sort of environment. Whereas I don't think you're going to learn anything putting him on when we're 4-0 up in a game which had basically turned into an exhibition with Villa looking an absolute shambles of a team and who had virtually given up.

Sure, Accrington are going to come out fighting and playing a physical game. But it's unlikely that, at any point of the season, we're going to need to know how well Vuckic et al will fair against fighting, physical League Two sides. We need to know how he'll fair against Premier League sides. Even a dejected demoralised Aston Villa are a better measure of how well he'd do against normal premier league sides, much better than a cup game against lower league opposition.

I'm all for playing kids in the cup, I think Vuckic should and will start on Wednesday, but I think we learned nothing new by playing those subs yesterday. We know Shola can be awkward, but doesn't run a lot and hasn't great touch/vision/technique/instinct/skill/etc. We know that Raylor can deliver a good abll and is a makeshift fullback.

Xisco looked like, with 40 minutes he could have scored against that Villa side, so fair enough, bring him on. But leaving kids on the bench when you're almost coasting at half time, it's a little "safe" for my liking.

Didn't mind the Xisco substitution, but it will be quite annoying if Vuckic doesn't get chances in matches like that when he has so much promise. With the signing of Tiote and Guthrie returning from injury he'll fall further down the pecking order, further away from potential time on the pitch that will be invaluable to his development and also the likeliness that he will form a strong attachment to the club and will re-sign. Coming on in a winning premier league side in front of 40k+ would have been a great experience for him.

Shola could have been left planted on the bench and Vuckic could have replaced Nolan.

Don't want to jinks it, but said after the game that if he keeps going the way he is, he could be with us for years to come and end up one of the bigger managers in the prem.

The two dont go together though, you're either a Newcastle manager or a big manager, you cant be both under this regime. Now that Hughton has proven himself to be a good manager then he'll be poached by someone else or come December Llamarse will fuck it up in the contract dealings (if he even bothers to offer him a contract at all).

come December Llamarse will fuck it up in the contract dealings (if he even bothers to offer him a contract at all).

This is the likeliest scenario. Hamfisted treatment by the Chuckle Brothers leading to exasperation and eventual departure. Unless CH doesn't deliver in which case he'll be sacked or forced out as is traditional.

Can't forsee Hughton going anywhere this season, unless we're in a relegation scrap. What happens after his contract is up is anyones guess. I suspect he'd be afforded a minor increase by Ashley/Lambbias if he does decently and expected to stay.