Chris Hughton

Dr Gloom

Ashley is so thick it's criminal. All he has to do now is give Chris a new contract: it'd be good for the team, good for Chris, good for the fans, and a good PR move for Fat Mike and his cohorts. Delaying it is frankly stupid. Maybe they'll make an announcement soon.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article was Winter putting fearful thoughts into Ashley's head to encourage the new contract as thats the effect i can see it having.

You seriously think that Ashley reads anything more high-brow than the Daily Star?

:suicide: Dont know but i dont reckon Henry Winter wants to destabilise us, he is a good lad.

Henry Winter: Tottenham can turn to Chris Hughton if England appoint Harry Redknapp

When a lack of communication and esprit de corps in the England camp under Fabio Capello finally extinguishes any hopes of Euro 2012, the Football Association may well turn to Harry Redknapp.

Henry Winter

By Henry Winter

Published: 7:45AM GMT 09 Nov 2010

Henry's Twitter

Comment

Chris hughton should replace Harry Redknapp if England come calling

Wise choice: Chris Hughton's reputation is on the rise after leading Newcastle United to promotion and then stabilising them in the Premier League Photo: ACTION IMAGES

After Capello, England will want a motivator such as Redknapp, his credentials enhanced by involvement in the Champions League.

Spurs’ unfortunate loss would be England’s gain but there’s an obvious replacement, a familiar face at the Lane.

Related Articles

Balotelli out of Manchester derby

Davids quits Crystal Palace

Ferguson: City will spend until they win the title

Carroll's stormy start

Coventry City 2 Leeds United 3

Sport on television

One of their old lilywhite idols, a committed full-back who won two FA Cups and the Uefa Cup during 13 years playing for Spurs, is now looking increasingly at home in management. Chris Hughton has set Newcastle United up well tactically and mentally, producing good, hungry attacking football.

Hughton may not be deemed high profile enough yet for Spurs but by 2012, why not? Hughton loves Spurs and coached there for 14 years, including a six-game spell as caretaker in 1998.

After working for the soulless, penny-pinching regime of Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias, Hughton certainly deserves more caring employers

I like Henry Winter, he's funny, articulate, and most of all he respects the toon. I was waiting for this type of mini piece from some wank like Woolnough so I'm disappointed in this piece. "He hasn't got the stature for Tottenham yet", anyone who's at the toon is good for the stature of them, but, I mentioned a while ago I could see this happening in the future, and it's more likely to happen as long as that treble chinned fuckwit treats him like shit.

I posted my fears about this yesterday... spooky.

Why do people bang on about the contract, you've got to remeber the type of person we are dealing with here. Fat Mike has given Ch a job to do, keep us in the primier league. At the end of the season, they will sit down and discuss that job, did he keep us in the league? yes - here have a new contract. no - you're fired

It really is that simple, its the same in every other aspect of life except for football, where you get offered a new 5 yr contract 6 months into your existing 5 yr contract

Don't get me wrong, i'm lovin CH atm and hope he stays

Why do people bang on about the contract, you've got to remeber the type of person we are dealing with here. Fat Mike has given Ch a job to do, keep us in the primier league. At the end of the season, they will sit down and discuss that job, did he keep us in the league? yes - here have a new contract. no - you're fired

It really is that simple, its the same in every other aspect of life except for football, where you get offered a new 5 yr contract 6 months into your existing 5 yr contract

Chris Hughton may not like it - but why should managers get long-term deals?

Chris Hughton may not like it - but why should managers get long-term deals?

thats a good article and yeah pretty much exactly what i was thinking, I love the last paragraph :suicide:

Of course, it could be that Ashley is just being an idiot and is plotting to shaft Hughton regardless of how well he does, in which ridicule should be slung with gusto. But the principle of keeping most managers' contracts short is still a good one.

You've sort of countered your own argument though. It's not really like everyday life and if we're not careful we could lose a valuable asset in Hughton. That's why people are banging on about it. Supposing he gets a better offer and leaves, do you think we'll get that lucky a 2nd time round? Personally I don't agree he should get a 5 year deal on much better money than he's on now but at the same time I think waiting until the summer is a dangerous game to play. No reason why we can't have some middle ground, say give him a 12-24 month extension on what he's got now on a bit more salary-wise too.

You've sort of countered your own argument though. It's not really like everyday life and if we're not careful we could lose a valuable asset in Hughton. That's why people are banging on about it. Supposing he gets a better offer and leaves, do you think we'll get that lucky a 2nd time round? Personally I don't agree he should get a 5 year deal on much better money than he's on now but at the same time I think waiting until the summer is a dangerous game to play. No reason why we can't have some middle ground, say give him a 12-24 month extension on what he's got now on a bit more salary-wise too.

I dont think i have countered my arguement, I was trying to point out that Ashley as a businessman (who did very very well for himself) wont go and hand out 5 year contracts woth millions of pounds until CH proves that he has done what he was asked to do

I like both Ashleys and Your thinking, I dont want to see CH walk out anymore than anyone else, however, if he gets us relegated would you want him to hang round? maybes not, lets say he gets us into Europe, is there a chance he may walk? probably. To that end, if i was Mike I would drag CH in, in January, take a look at the table, see what CH wants to do with players and then throw a 12month extension at him. When the summer comes, if we are down, its only 6 months to pay him off, if we are in europe then we can put a really good deal together and if we end up mid table, then I would probably offer him a 12 month rolling contract to come into effect the day the previous contract expires

I dont think i have countered my arguement, I was trying to point out that Ashley as a businessman (who did very very well for himself) wont go and hand out 5 year contracts woth millions of pounds until CH proves that he has done what he was asked to do

I like both Ashleys and Your thinking, I dont want to see CH walk out anymore than anyone else, however, if he gets us relegated would you want him to hang round? maybes not, lets say he gets us into Europe, is there a chance he may walk? probably. To that end, if i was Mike I would drag CH in, in January, take a look at the table, see what CH wants to do with players and then throw a 12month extension at him. When the summer comes, if we are down, its only 6 months to pay him off, if we are in europe then we can put a really good deal together and if we end up mid table, then I would probably offer him a 12 month rolling contract to come into effect the day the previous contract expires

He's already offered Hughton a contract though, just obviously not a very good one as he turned it down. So I don't think he's thinking much beyond 'how much money can I save?' which is madness really when you look at the bigger picture. CH is on £5k a week and we were supposedly losing 5x that amount last season due to relegation. JFK was on a canny bit more than that too iirc. How insulting must that be to CH btw?

I take your points on board about if we go down, you wouldn't want him to hang around. You have to take a bit of a chance with players and managers though and you have to give them a bit of backing/show some faith in them if you want them to stick around. He's the no. 1 reason we're doing much better than we all thought we would.

He's already offered Hughton a contract though, just obviously not a very good one as he turned it down. So I don't think he's thinking much beyond 'how much money can I save?' which is madness really when you look at the bigger picture. CH is on £5k a week and we were supposedly losing 5x that amount last season due to relegation. JFK was on a canny bit more than that too iirc. How insulting must that be to CH btw?

I take your points on board about if we go down, you wouldn't want him to hang around. You have to take a bit of a chance with players and managers though and you have to give them a bit of backing/show some faith in them if you want them to stick around. He's the no. 1 reason we're doing much better than we all thought we would.

Ahh I didnt realise that Chris had knocked an offer back already, thats pretty fucking ropey of Fat Mike then as it would of been a shite offering, i was trying to see the positives in both camps but that kinda blows anything from the fat lad out the water, pity

Ahh I didnt realise that Chris had knocked an offer back already, thats pretty fucking ropey of Fat Mike then as it would of been a shite offering, i was trying to see the positives in both camps but that kinda blows anything from the fat lad out the water, pity

Accepting the first offer from Mike is like paying a street vendor the asking price in Turkey. They'd both be stunned if you let them rape you like that.

There's cleaners in Sports Direct who tell Mike to fuck off the first 3 or 4 times when it comes to negotiating salary.

I was amazed Carroll's deal seemed to be done and dusted so quickly.

The problem with the contract uncertainty as much as anything is the problems it gives with recruiting a new number 2, and the message given to the team so that they key players don't get itchy feet during the window. Existing players and any new recruits are going to want to know what they are signing up for

absolutely spot on. was just about to type that word for word .

The problem with the contract uncertainty as much as anything is the problems it gives with recruiting a new number 2, and the message given to the team so that they key players don't get itchy feet during the window. Existing players and any new recruits are going to want to know what they are signing up for

Or players and manager continue giving a million percent to try and ensure said manager new deal. :suicide:

I think this will be sorted out in the new year which is probably right.

Had we lost to sunderland and Arsenal and were currently sitting fourth bottom, there would be few calling for the contract negogiations to be rushed through now.

Or players and manager continue giving a million percent to try and ensure said manager new deal. :D

I think this will be sorted out in the new year which is probably right.

Had we lost to sunderland and Arsenal and were currently sitting fourth bottom, there would be few calling for the contract negogiations to be rushed through now.

Well obviously :suicide: You get your one-up-manship from the fact that you believed he could be a success, not from the fact you are correct in the current scenario and therefore would have been correct (because of this) in the scenario where we are 4th bottom. You mad git.

Same here. once we are safe contract out and hope he signs.

he shouldn't get a 5 year contract, just a 2 year extension but maybe it will take a big pay hike to get him to sign it.

Long term contracts for managers are a no-no.

He's probably the most respectable manager in the league, let's hope he becomes the most respected and is still with us.

I know CT has been saying he's like SBR but I think he's earnest and genuine in a similar way to KK.

Consolidation remains the objective, more than that is a bonus, but when achieved give him a contract commensurate with his peers and give him circa £20 million to improve the squad.

And please keep backbone we have been missing for so long.

Edited by trophyshy

he shouldn't get a 5 year contract, just a 2 year extension but maybe it will take a big pay hike to get him to sign it.

Freddy doesn't agree with that, and he's perfect :suicide:

Id agree with 2 years like.

Freddy doesn't agree with that, and he's perfect :suicide:

oh fuck off man you tedious cunt

Freddy doesn't agree with that, and he's perfect :D

oh fuck off man you tedious cunt

Aye, I'm the tedious one :suicide: