Chris Hughton

Dr Gloom

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the state of the club when we went down, the players he was left with and the atmosphere round the club.

Given the way Ashley and co went on last season, and the lack of support or any form of leadership from above this season,what he has acheived in the last season and a quarter is nothing short of astonishing.

The way he has conducted himself in interviews after the last two games when pressed about his contract, as he has conducted himself throughout is impeccable.

I love him

+ 1

Considering the state of the club when we went down, the players he was left with and the atmosphere round the club.

Given the way Ashley and co went on last season, and the lack of support or any form of leadership from above this season,what he has acheived in the last season and a quarter is nothing short of astonishing.

The way he has conducted himself in interviews after the last two games when pressed about his contract, as he has conducted himself throughout is impeccable.

I love him

he conducts himself superbly. He's done a great job, said last year that if Alan Shearer had came in and did what he had done, we would be saying we had a Brian Clough on our hands.

Early days yet. To go higher, he needs big backing [whatever anyone thinks to the contrary] and show he can handle higher calibre players because with them comes personality and ego problems. Thats just the way it is.

Give him a contract, and it also blows the theories that appointing someone from within, timing is important, all of this sort of bollocks to smithereens.

I love him

he conducts himself superbly. He's done a great job, said last year that if Alan Shearer had came in and did what he had done, we would be saying we had a Brian Clough on our hands.

Early days yet. To go higher, he needs big backing [whatever anyone thinks to the contrary] and show he can handle higher calibre players because with them comes personality and ego problems. Thats just the way it is.

Give him a contract, and it also blows the theories that appointing someone from within, timing is important, all of this sort of bollocks to smithereens.

You'd have to be an idiot to think otherwise. Do you have to keep saying the same thing?

I love him

To be honest I would be happy if we keep the decent players we have got and carry on going for the likes of Tiote/Ben Arfa. I don't see us ever buying right at the top of the market again

I just hope Ashley realises how lucky he has got with Hughton and the way he has pulled everybody together. The trouble with team spirit is it is so much easier to destroy than it is to create, and I have absolutely no confidence that Ashley wont pull the rug out one way or another at any moment

I love him

To be honest I would be happy if we keep the decent players we have got and carry on going for the likes of Tiote/Ben Arfa. I don't see us ever buying right at the top of the market again

I just hope Ashley realises how lucky he has got with Hughton and the way he has pulled everybody together. The trouble with team spirit is it is so much easier to destroy than it is to create, and I have absolutely no confidence that Ashley wont pull the rug out one way or another at any moment

I think the way that CH will handle Ben Arfa when he comes back will be a test as to how he deals with ego problems.

I even liked him when he was in Level 42.

Sadly, I got this.

Three league wins in a row since he started wearing the suit. Keep it up Chris.

Joking aside, we have players who are playing to their best becuase they WANT to play for him, something we haven't seen since KK.

I love him

so true, the team haven't played with this kind of spirit since sir bobby's time. a unified team and coaching staff is key to any kind of success and so difficult to create and maintain.

it's funny how the comments in this thread have evolved from most being pleasantly surprised to him with our early season form to hughton gradually winning widespread respect to the extent that it's now turned into an outright love in.

he has to keep wearing the suit. in three outings, it's been worn, we've had three fantastic results. goodbye tracksuit manager chris

CHRIS HUGHTON has described his emotional post-game celebrations with the Toon Army as one of the most “special moments” of his career.

Hughton doesn’t normally indulge in such scenes but nobody could deny him his moment after such a mammoth win for Newcastle.

Hughton paid tribute to the Geordie faithful and told the Chronicle: “They come a long way every away game. You never forget what they give us, but some moments are a little bit more special than others.

“To come here and get a result, with what it means, is outstanding.”

Hughton also felt the result was one of his best as Toon boss.

He said: “It’s very high up because of the quality of the team that we’re against – they’re an outstanding side.

“You know the possession they’re going to have, and it’s about restricting them to minimal chances, and we were able to do that. You get the goal, and you know it’s going to be backs against the wall.

“You know they’re going to put pressure on you.

“It’s tough – you need players to put in a real shift, and not only the defence and the goalkeeper.

“You’ve got to work hard from the front, and the clean sheet is down to 11 players, and not only the back four, though I’m pleased for them.

“If the lad they sent off hadn’t brought him down, Nile Ranger would have been through, and what an opportunity that would have been for him to score a goal at the Emirates, having come off the bench.”

Andy Carroll’s performance was under the microscope once more, and Hughton was delighted with his striker.

He said: “Andy was excellent, but he was one of 11 players who were all outstanding.

“He showed mobility and legs in his game.

“This is a game he’ll remember.

“Those things (England) don’t bother me – all I want him to do is stay fit and perform for Newcastle United.

“I don’t want to limit what he gives us.

“He’s a great option up front, and he’s developing as a player – that’s the most important thing.

“That’s what I ask of him.”

United have now won three Premier League games in a row for the first time since 2008.

My 2 cents….

Hughtons been very media savvy, and presents very well. He’s allowed the good players to flourish and has restored confidence in those that were lacking. He also secured a very promising (but broken as of now) player in Ben Arfa. Tiote, as has been documented elsewhere, has been excellent. These were both his signings. Now that we are able to play with conviction and with no little flair in the premier league, allied to defensive solidity we are progressing at a good rate. I’m not expecting a top 10 finish as yet, but we need to strengthen our weak spots further with decent acquisitions. Right back is still an issue, even with simpson looking good. I’ve been impressed by Williamson, and Collocini has been pretty damn good.

so, still work in progress, but good work in progress.

I love him

You'd have to be an idiot to think otherwise. Do you have to keep saying the same thing?

yes. Because there is at least one certain poster who thinks otherwise.

I love him

yes. Because there is at least one certain poster who thinks otherwise.

You could pm him then :icon_lol:

Hughton has been brilliant, Ashley's penny pinching came off this time.

was thinkng about this earlier.....

i know its early days in the season but hughton has basically brought the club forward at least 1 season , possibly 2

the position were in now probably wasnt expected to happen for a while yet.

weve now got something we can build on

I love him

+ 1

Yup, I've even told my wife. :icon_lol:

Also, she def. thinks he should stay in the suit for match days.

was thinkng about this earlier.....

i know its early days in the season but hughton has basically brought the club forward at least 1 season , possibly 2

the position were in now probably wasnt expected to happen for a while yet.

weve now got something we can build on

thats just about it.

Henry Winter: Tottenham can turn to Chris Hughton if England appoint Harry Redknapp

When a lack of communication and esprit de corps in the England camp under Fabio Capello finally extinguishes any hopes of Euro 2012, the Football Association may well turn to Harry Redknapp.

Henry Winter

By Henry Winter

Published: 7:45AM GMT 09 Nov 2010

Henry's Twitter

Comment

Chris hughton should replace Harry Redknapp if England come calling

Wise choice: Chris Hughton's reputation is on the rise after leading Newcastle United to promotion and then stabilising them in the Premier League Photo: ACTION IMAGES

After Capello, England will want a motivator such as Redknapp, his credentials enhanced by involvement in the Champions League.

Spurs’ unfortunate loss would be England’s gain but there’s an obvious replacement, a familiar face at the Lane.

Related Articles

Balotelli out of Manchester derby

Davids quits Crystal Palace

Ferguson: City will spend until they win the title

Carroll's stormy start

Coventry City 2 Leeds United 3

Sport on television

One of their old lilywhite idols, a committed full-back who won two FA Cups and the Uefa Cup during 13 years playing for Spurs, is now looking increasingly at home in management. Chris Hughton has set Newcastle United up well tactically and mentally, producing good, hungry attacking football.

Hughton may not be deemed high profile enough yet for Spurs but by 2012, why not? Hughton loves Spurs and coached there for 14 years, including a six-game spell as caretaker in 1998.

After working for the soulless, penny-pinching regime of Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias, Hughton certainly deserves more caring employers

I like Henry Winter, he's funny, articulate, and most of all he respects the toon. I was waiting for this type of mini piece from some wank like Woolnough so I'm disappointed in this piece. "He hasn't got the stature for Tottenham yet", anyone who's at the toon is good for the stature of them, but, I mentioned a while ago I could see this happening in the future, and it's more likely to happen as long as that treble chinned fuckwit treats him like shit.

I'd have liked to see him give Vuckic the last 10 minutes today.

Probably will start against Accrington I would have thought.

On Hughton, the test will come if/when we have a bad run - but so far so good.

Yeah, but we're not going to learn anything about Vuckic when (if) he faces Accrington. No disrespect to them, but our second string should be able to beat them. We need to see how the kids stack up against Premier League opposition so if we need to throw someone on, we know who's the best shot. Even though the game was over, the intelligence and experience of the premier league players would make it a less forgiving proposition.

seems like a wasted opportunity.

I'd argue that you'd learn more about him in the game against Accrington then against Villa. Accrington are going to come out fighting with their fans right behind them against a Premiership side, probably offering us a tough physical game and we'd be able to see whether he's got the mentality to handle that sort of environment. Whereas I don't think you're going to learn anything putting him on when we're 4-0 up in a game which had basically turned into an exhibition with Villa looking an absolute shambles of a team and who had virtually given up.

I don't think it's a dig at Hughton or us, he's simply saying that Spurs will want a bigger name manager now that they're in the CL, which they probably will.

We know better than most clubs that big name managers can't guarantee success.

I'd have liked to see him give Vuckic the last 10 minutes today.

Probably will start against Accrington I would have thought.

On Hughton, the test will come if/when we have a bad run - but so far so good.

Yeah, but we're not going to learn anything about Vuckic when (if) he faces Accrington. No disrespect to them, but our second string should be able to beat them. We need to see how the kids stack up against Premier League opposition so if we need to throw someone on, we know who's the best shot. Even though the game was over, the intelligence and experience of the premier league players would make it a less forgiving proposition.

seems like a wasted opportunity.

I'd argue that you'd learn more about him in the game against Accrington then against Villa. Accrington are going to come out fighting with their fans right behind them against a Premiership side, probably offering us a tough physical game and we'd be able to see whether he's got the mentality to handle that sort of environment. Whereas I don't think you're going to learn anything putting him on when we're 4-0 up in a game which had basically turned into an exhibition with Villa looking an absolute shambles of a team and who had virtually given up.

I don't think it's a dig at Hughton or us, he's simply saying that Spurs will want a bigger name manager now that they're in the CL, which they probably will.

We know better than most clubs that big name managers can't guarantee success.

At first this article irked me then i realised that after Redknapp and CL football, there is not a chance in hell they will go for Hughton, Spurs will bring in a big name manager imo.

This article was Winter putting fearful thoughts into Ashley's head to encourage the new contract as thats the effect i can see it having.

This article was Winter putting fearful thoughts into Ashley's head to encourage the new contract as thats the effect i can see it having.

You seriously think that Ashley reads anything more high-brow than the Daily Star?