Islamophobia in the US

Happy Face

The whole point of this thread was basically outrage that people had the freedom to protest against something they felt was wrong. The fact that they weren't burning books, issuing death sentences is what sets them apart from those you see burning effigies of anyonr who had the sheer nerve to disagree with their opinions (almost what happens on here).

I don't see the difference between burning flags/effigies and holding protests screaming hatred at Muslims - both are free (or should be) to do so but both show underlying intolerance which is identical.

Sorry like, but I don't think objecting to people telling me what I can and can't say and/or demonstrating anti-British sentiments about our troop or our way of life is intolerant. I think it's quite justified. If they don't like it, they can fuck off to somewhere more suited to their beliefs.

Would you go to Egypt and walk down the street holding your wife's/girlfriends hand when you knew it wasn't the norm way of life and you would be in the shit ? Is that intolerant or showing respect for the host countries customs or way of life, or do you stand by your apparent claim that you should stand your ground at the Egyptian courts and legal system and insist how intolerant they are ?

bit confused by this, i thought you were holding up the event of a woman in Egypt being fined for wearing a bikini as intolerant...no?

please clarify....:)

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole point of this thread was basically outrage that people had the freedom to protest against something they felt was wrong. The fact that they weren't burning books, issuing death sentences is what sets them apart from those you see burning effigies of anyonr who had the sheer nerve to disagree with their opinions (almost what happens on here).

I don't see the difference between burning flags/effigies and holding protests screaming hatred at Muslims - both are free (or should be) to do so but both show underlying intolerance which is identical.

Sorry like, but I don't think objecting to people telling me what I can and can't say and/or demonstrating anti-British sentiments about our troop or our way of life is intolerant. I think it's quite justified. If they don't like it, they can fuck off to somewhere more suited to their beliefs.

Would you go to Egypt and walk down the street holding your wife's/girlfriends hand when you knew it wasn't the norm way of life and you would be in the shit ? Is that intolerant or showing respect for the host countries customs or way of life, or do you stand by your apparent claim that you should stand your ground at the Egyptian courts and legal system and insist how intolerant they are ?

bit confused by this, i thought you were holding up the event of a woman in Egypt being fined for wearing a bikini as intolerant...no?

it's straightforward enough :)

in its contradiction maybe....

so are they being intolerant or not....can't have it both ways. you seem to be slipping into your regular mode of arguing from both sides so you can be correct.

of course that is just the opinion of this plastic "yank"

so are they being intolerant or not....can't have it both ways. you seem to be slipping into your regular mode of arguing from both sides so you can be correct.

yep, it's just the opinion of a plastic yank.

Protest about "intolerance" in Egypt, and see what happens to you, is the message. Fairly straightforward, as I said.

Protest about "intolerance" in Egypt, and see what happens to you, is the message. Fairly straightforward, as I said.

i understood about the intolerance bit, just unsure who you were insinuating was being intolerant, the bikini clad hoochie? for not conforming to the ways of the land.

or the egyptian authorities? for being opposed to a little T&A.

The naivety in this thread staggers me.

Never let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

You've done a good job of standing off and interjecting little one-liners like this from time to time. Makes you sound oh-so-world-weary. Also makes you sound like you know what you're talking about, when I doubt you do. So what might these 'facts' be? Where is the 'conspiracy theory'? Who's being 'naive'? Join in the discussion if you have something to say.

I see your post Leazes and I'll respond later.

My point is that you all have theories/ideas based on your own agendas/something you've read rather than experienced or fact hence judgement on a book none of you have read but rather paraphrased via Google. Some are so anti US they believe anything they see written that slings dirt in their direction.

I think I asked you for specifics. You didn't provide any.

It's unfortunate that you assume that a: I haven't read the book and b: that I don't base my ideas on 'experiences' or 'fact.'

Well, I can see 'The Satanic Verses' from where I am sitting right now. It's on a shelf, between 'White Teeth' and 'The Search for the Giant Squid' (don't ask.) Would you like me to quote from it for you? Here you go:

"The anger with God carried him through another day, but then it faded and in its place there came a terrible emptiness, an isolation, as he realized he was talking to thin air, that there was nobody there at all and thrn he felt more foolish than ever in his life and he began to plead into the emptiness, ya Allah, just be there, damn it, just be." Page 30. It's one half of a paragraph about 1/3 of the way down on the right-hand page.

Secondly, I think my 'experiences' and the 'facts' that I know will vastly outstrip yours. Unless you mean to tell me that you are also a Muslim and a New Yorker, that you were in NY on 9/11, that you have lived in a Muslim country (Egypt), that you have two degrees in Middle Eastern history and high school education, that you make your living teaching this exact sort of thing to adolescents, I think I have 'experienced' a bit more than you and I think I know a few more 'facts' than you do. Even those who most vehemently disagree with what I have to say on the subject have never tried to insinuate that my knowledge of the topic is 'paraphrased from Google', of all things.

So unless you'd like to join in the discussion in earnest and bring your own facts and evidence to back up the specific statements that you make instead of throwing out a few undefined accusations of 'agendas' and 'naivete' (that's with a second 'e', not a 'y', just for your information), then please, in the immortal words of Stevie, pipe down.

I don't think the 'entire purpose of this thread' was to express outrage at the freedom of people to protest, as you say. Look back at the first post. I think it was to express outrage and wonder at what they have chosen to protest. Similarly, did you think the teddy bear Muhammad scandal was an outrageous cause for conflict and inflammation? But do you support the right of those people to protest (peacefully) what they felt to be wrong?

I was going to write a post applauding your patience, and the sensible and reasonable way you are standing your corner and stating your case. I do find it puzzling though how one of the seemingly more balanced and educated posters in this thread actually believes in whichever version of the fairy tale happens to have been imprinted on you. One of the reasons I would oppose the banning of the "mosque" is the (forlorn) hope that the more people discussed the situation the more people would realise how stupid the whole idea is in the first place

i understood about the intolerance bit, just unsure who you were insinuating was being intolerant, the bikini clad hoochie? for not conforming to the ways of the land.

Well, I'll give you a clue. What happens to you in Egypt if you don't accept or show respect for the ways of the land ?

We'll put to one side for a moment that she wasn't flying aeroplanes into buildings or screaming death to the infidels etc

etc

Well, I'll give you a clue. What happens to you in Egypt if you don't accept or show respect for the ways of the land ?

We'll put to one side for a moment that she wasn't flying aeroplanes into buildings or screaming death to the infidels etc

etc

not answering the question then....big surprise!

You really don't see the difference? I notice you omitted the call to all members of the faith to murder people.

I've read the thread chaps and I clearly can't up with the intellectual heavyweights (students) on here. ..........

You've done a good job of standing off and interjecting little one-liners like this from time to time. Makes you sound oh-so-world-weary. Also makes you sound like you know what you're talking about, when I doubt you do. So what might these 'facts' be? Where is the 'conspiracy theory'? Who's being 'naive'? Join in the discussion if you have something to say.

My point is that you all have theories/ideas based on your own agendas/something you've read rather than experienced or fact hence judgement on a book none of you have read but rather paraphrased via Google. Some are so anti US they believe anything they see written that slings dirt in their direction.

It's unfortunate that you assume that a: I haven't read the book and b: that I don't base my ideas on 'experiences' or 'fact.'

Well, I can see 'The Satanic Verses' from where I am sitting right now. It's on a shelf, between 'White Teeth' and 'The Search for the Giant Squid' (don't ask.) Would you like me to quote from it for you? Here you go:

"The anger with God carried him through another day, but then it faded and in its place there came a terrible emptiness, an isolation, as he realized he was talking to thin air, that there was nobody there at all and thrn he felt more foolish than ever in his life and he began to plead into the emptiness, ya Allah, just be there, damn it, just be." Page 30. It's one half of a paragraph about 1/3 of the way down on the right-hand page.

Secondly, I think my 'experiences' and the 'facts' that I know will vastly outstrip yours. Unless you mean to tell me that you are also a Muslim and a New Yorker, that you were in NY on 9/11, that you have lived in a Muslim country (Egypt), that you have two degrees in Middle Eastern history and high school education, that you make your living teaching this exact sort of thing to adolescents, I think I have 'experienced' a bit more than you and I think I know a few more 'facts' than you do. Even those who most vehemently disagree with what I have to say on the subject have never tried to insinuate that my knowledge of the topic is 'paraphrased from Google', of all things.

So unless you'd like to join in the discussion in earnest and bring your own facts and evidence to back up the specific statements that you make instead of throwing out a few undefined accusations of 'agendas' and 'naivete' (that's with a second 'e', not a 'y', just for your information), then please, in the immortal words of Stevie, pipe down.

I don't think the 'entire purpose of this thread' was to express outrage at the freedom of people to protest, as you say. Look back at the first post. I think it was to express outrage and wonder at what they have chosen to protest. Similarly, did you think the teddy bear Muhammad scandal was an outrageous cause for conflict and inflammation? But do you support the right of those people to protest (peacefully) what they felt to be wrong?

Again presumption over fact. Interested to know what the two degrees equate to? Did you take it twice or were they separate degrees? So I ask again have you read the book (I ask because your synopsis is rather familiar to reviews I've seen before). I've never once disagreed with you, rather questioned your(and others) facts/motivation.

You say you've experienced more than me but have utterly no clue who I am, or what I've seen, experienced, whether I'm Muslim, Christian, Humanist, or just a WUM.

I could make a link between your avatar and the first country to adopt Christianity...... but why would I?

Again presumption over fact. Interested to know what the two degrees equate to? Did you take it twice or were they separate degrees? So I ask again have you read the book (I ask because your synopsis is rather familiar to reviews I've seen before). I've never once disagreed with you, rather questioned your(and others) facts/motivation.

You say you've experienced more than me but have utterly no clue who I am, or what I've seen, experienced, whether I'm Muslim, Christian, Humanist, or just a WUM.

I could make a link between your avatar and the first country to adopt Christianity...... but why would I?

Basically standard WUM fare. Undefined statements, backing down when questioned on them, attempts to downplay involvement, etc etc etc.

Jog on.

etc

so what happens to you in Egypt and other muslim countries if you don't accept the ways of the land ?

Please show us where they are showing the tolerance towards us in the west, in those situations, that you speak of ?

etc

Edited by LeazesMag

I find it strange that you consider yourself such an educated person, both academically and in the ways of the world, and yet you are still fixated upon a storybook. Clearly you haven't worked out that in the western world people don't get their knickers in a permanent twist over such an insignificant thing. The fact that you are so obsessed with it tells me that even educated muslims are basically one step from being cave dwellers in much of their outlook on life. You have a fucked up sense of priorities, IMO, which are completely out of touch with the west.

please clarify....:icon_lol:

it's straightforward enough ;)

etc

so what happens to you in Egypt and other muslim countries if you don't accept the ways of the land ?

Please show us where they are showing the tolerance towards us in the west, in those situations, that you speak of ?

etc

i think you should read my post (i would have said re-read but its obvious you haven't) about the "intolerants on both sides" that wreck it for the rest of us.

angry old man syndrome tbh......"hey you kids get off my lawn!!!"

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bolgernow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/grandpa-simpson-yelling-at-cloud.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bolgernow.com/blog/%3Fp%3D1809&usg=__RrPiM6Abv2cEkEH8_FEaChrXiy4=&h=300&w=400&sz=31&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=Mz46ZJA5p0o_KM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=168&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgrandpa%2Bsimpson%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-ca:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ADFA_en%26biw%3D1318%26bih%3D711%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=884&vpy=107&dur=3744&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=175&ty=105&ei=j_t7TL7BF5CksQPF0NSsBQ&oei=j_t7TL7BF5CksQPF0NSsBQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0 [img/]

what are you going on about, you stupid arse ;)

A hundred and two minutes passed between the first plane's impact into North Tower of the World Trade Center on 11 September 2001, the second plane's attack on South Tower, and the collapse of both buildings.

In that time, people around New York reached for their cameras.

This documentary joins together hundreds of pieces of footage and audiotape into a single, seamless historical record, much of it never seen before.

It is an intensely personal and new perspective of the tragedy, telling that morning's events in real time, as they were experienced by people around New York.

Available on 4OD

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/102-min...ged-america/4od

programme on channel 4 just now about terrorists flying aeroplanes into large buildings.

It's horrific like.

it is.

It was like watching one of those horror movies where only a few people are left on the planet, except it was real.

Lets not get too upset or overreact over a trivial thing like burning a book lads, ooopss sorry, a flag. After all, we are a peaceful people and want peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phg7rPfmWKQ...kipcontrinter=1

Edit.

and why don't they do this in America ?

Edited by LeazesMag

Lets not get too upset or overreact over a trivial thing like burning a book lads, ooopss sorry, a flag. After all, we are a peaceful people and want peace

Edit.

Are you askling why Americans don't burn the American flag?

Edit.

Are you askling why Americans don't burn the American flag?

No. I'm asking do they protest like this in the US ?