Islamophobia in the US

Happy Face

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm proper scared of them Islams.

Especially ones who used to play for Boro', thems the worst.

So when you go the corner shop for your cheap cider you shit your pants? Or do you ask Gazza to go in?

EDIT: what the fuck I'm not posting anymore with that shit badge

So when you go the corner shop for your cheap cider you shit your pants? Or do you ask Gazza to go in?

:D

bye

Simon Schama: Islamophobia Recalls anti-Catholic, Anti-Jewish Nativism of America’s Past....

http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/20...rica.schama.cnn

why do you keep trying to justify Islam by quoting other religions ? Fact is, NOW, they are racist, backward, intolerant, fanatically dangerous to others who have different views, and responsible for most of the terrorist activity in the world.

Simon Schama: Islamophobia Recalls anti-Catholic, Anti-Jewish Nativism of America’s Past....

why do you keep trying to justify Islam by quoting other religions ? Fact is, NOW, they are racist, backward, intolerant, fanatically dangerous to others who have different views, and responsible for most of the terrorist activity in the world.

all of them? or is it just a vocal minority? much like the dumb ass preacher that had a hankerin for a Burnin.

Strange about Geordieracer like. Seemed alright then took umbrage over the 'students' in this thread then fucked off. Especially as the only google warrior stude was on his side anyway.

Where have i ever justified Islam?

Your post is almost spot on. Nutjobs claiming to be acting in the name of Islam are responsible for outrageous acts of terrorism. Something that should be abhored and certainly is by me. I would never try and justify that.

In the last 10 years the US (not a few nutjobs I'm using to tar the entire group, but the people that actually govern the country and decide policy) are responsible for killing a number of people that dwarfs the amount killed in all the terrorist attacks in the last century though. I can't justify that either but you seem to want to.

Today on the BBC:

Nine Iraqi soldiers are killed by a roadside bomb on the outskirts of the northern city of Mosul

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/middle_east/

Today not on the BBC:

an intensive drone strike campaign by the US military since September 2 in southern Afghanistan and in Pakistan's North Waziristan has left 60 persons dead, among them innocent civilians.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100915/ap_on_re_as/as_pakistan

I'm balanced.

You're imbalanced.

Edited by Happy Face

Your post is almost spot on. Nutjobs claiming to be acting in the name of Islam are responsible for outrageous acts of terrorism. Something that should be abhored and certainly is by me.

It's all very well droning on about how much you 'abhor the extremists with every fibre of your body', but by your own admission you feel it would be preferable to give them free reign over Afghanistan than to intervene for any reason. Your description of Islamic terrorists as 'a few nutjobs' is inaccurate and misleading. Yes, a minute proportion of the Muslim population worldwide in terms of numbers, but nevertheless an organised cult that has had success in committing horrific crimes in the West and the Middle East alike, and if it were within their means they would kill 3 million and not the 3000 we remembered recently on 9/11. If their strength were to increase - and if the policies (or lack thereof) you have advocated were to be implemented it surely would - they would use everything within their means to kill as many of us as possible, a fact that you seem ignorant of.

You appear to care deeply about the Afghan civilians killed in the conflict against the Taliban/Al Quaeda but less so of those many thousands who were tortured and murdered at their hands. It is ironic that you talk of balance whilst selectively quoting from articles. If anything you appear to have binary vision, as do some of those you're arguing against.

Your post is almost spot on. Nutjobs claiming to be acting in the name of Islam are responsible for outrageous acts of terrorism. Something that should be abhored and certainly is by me.

It's all very well droning on about how much you 'abhor the extremists with every fibre of your body', but by your own admission you feel it would be preferable to give them free reign over Afghanistan than to intervene for any reason. Your description of Islamic terrorists as 'a few nutjobs' is inaccurate and misleading. Yes, a minute proportion of the Muslim population worldwide in terms of numbers, but nevertheless an organised cult that has had success in committing horrific crimes in the West and the Middle East alike, and if it were within their means they would kill 3 million and not the 3000 we remembered recently on 9/11. If their strength were to increase - and if the policies (or lack thereof) you have advocated were to be implemented it surely would - they would use everything within their means to kill as many of us as possible, a fact that you seem ignorant of.

You appear to care deeply about the Afghan civilians killed in the conflict against the Taliban/Al Quaeda but less so of those many thousands who were tortured and murdered at their hands. It is ironic that you talk of balance whilst selectively quoting from articles. If anything you appear to have binary vision, as do some of those you're arguing against.

Wether we like it or not Islam isn't going to lie down in the face of playstation capitalism that is messing with it all over the planet. There is fear on both sides of this and a lot of innocents caught up in the middle. In the history of the world a system has never beaten a religion and it ain't gonne happen any time soon. The only real alternative is dialogue, but extreme psotions seem entrenched.

What do you propose we do about the problem though?

It's all very well droning on about how much you 'abhor the extremists with every fibre of your body'

Damned if i do and damned if i don't tbh. I try not to repeat it every post because it should be obvious, but then Leazes complains about me slagging off everyone but the terrorists....or even of supporting them.

but by your own admission you feel it would be preferable to give them free reign over Afghanistan than to intervene for any reason.

Howay man, that's a bit different to what I said. I clearly see to what degree the invasion of Afghanistan can be justified. Do you feel it's still going down the right path?

Your description of Islamic terrorists as 'a few nutjobs' is inaccurate and misleading. Yes, a minute proportion of the Muslim population worldwide in terms of numbers, but nevertheless an organised cult that has had success in committing horrific crimes in the West and the Middle East alike, and if it were within their means they would kill 3 million and not the 3000 we remembered recently on 9/11. If their strength were to increase - and if the policies (or lack thereof) you have advocated were to be implemented it surely would - they would use everything within their means to kill as many of us as possible, a fact that you seem ignorant of.

Again, I think it's obvious what I meant, comparitively the opposing forces have a huge discrepancy. The entire US government has a policy in place that has killed hundreds of thousands. Panetta said The number of al Qaeda remaining in Afghanistan is "relatively small."

"At most, we're looking at 50 to 100, maybe less. It's in that vicinity. There's no question that the main location of al Qaeda is in the tribal areas of Pakistan."

The CIA accept and warn that continued US activity is the greatest recruitment tool for terrorist cells not just there, but worldwide.

Are you saying the US brand of unlawful imprisonment, torture and murder is preferable to previous brutal regimes?

Amnesty aren't that keen...

Amnesty: 30,000 Held in Iraq without Due Process; Evidence of Abuse

Your post is almost spot on. Nutjobs claiming to be acting in the name of Islam are responsible for outrageous acts of terrorism. Something that should be abhored and certainly is by me. I would never try and justify that.

In the last 10 years the US (not a few nutjobs I'm using to tar the entire group, but the people that actually govern the country and decide policy) are responsible for killing a number of people that dwarfs the amount killed in all the terrorist attacks in the last century though. I can't justify that either but you seem to want to.

Today on the BBC:

Nine Iraqi soldiers are killed by a roadside bomb on the outskirts of the northern city of Mosul

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/middle_east/

Today not on the BBC:

an intensive drone strike campaign by the US military since September 2 in southern Afghanistan and in Pakistan's North Waziristan has left 60 persons dead, among them innocent civilians.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100915/ap_on_re_as/as_pakistan

I'm balanced.

You're imbalanced.

no, you're unbalanced. I just don't get your anti-west stance.

no, you're unbalanced. I just don't get your anti-west stance.

;)

I love the west. I love our laws. I love our justice system. I love our freedoms. I'd love to see them expanded around the world.

Unfortunately....

30,000 Held in Iraq without Due Process; Evidence of Abuse.

Charles Menezes

Illegal Phone and Email tapping

The right to protest at parliament withdrawn

and back on topic....Freedom of religion potentially infringed

I don't get how you can defend the weakening of democracy both here and abroad and claim it's me that's anti-west. I want to defend our core values and you want to throw them away, to do exactly what the terrorists intend.

Edited by Happy Face

@ Alex: "What do you propose we do about the problem though?"

Bit of a generic question; regarding Afghanistan I argued that I believe the NATO mission was a necessity at the time, and intervention would probably have been wise earlier.

@ HF "Damned if i do and damned if i don't tbh. I try not to repeat it every post because it should be obvious, but then Leazes complains about me slagging off everyone but the terrorists....or even of supporting them."

Well at the risk of descending into ad hominem nonsense, I think Leazes is more intellectually honest than you. He wouldn't say - as you did - that on the one hand you hate everything about the Taliban, but then you take a quote by the spiritual leader of said group (about them being close to victory over NATO forces), and use it as evidence that my argument for intervention was wrong. If you took Mohammad Omar's word as verbatim then you have a long way to go before you're naive, if you were taking the piss then you are a very silly sausage.

"Do you feel it's still going down the right path?"

Huge progress has been made since 2001. The goal of building a stable government in Afghanistan I believe to be a noble one and I hope it succeeds.

"Are you saying the US brand of unlawful imprisonment, torture and murder is preferable to previous brutal regimes?"

Yes. You cite in relation to Iraq (would appreciate if you could stay on topic), as it happens I believe certain cases against the Iraq invasion have a lot of merit particularly in relation to the unrivaled negligence with regard to planning for the conflict. Regarding the legal systems the Ba'athist 'jails' were far worse than any the U.S. have been in charge of in Iraq.

Bit of a generic question; regarding Afghanistan I argued that I believe the NATO mission was a necessity at the time, and intervention would probably have been wise earlier.

Sorry, I thought you might have been as clever as you think you are.

Sorry, I thought you might have been as clever as you think you are.

If you are not going to say anything of substance regarding the discussion why even bother? At least try and be a bit more amusing. And if you're going to ask a question it'd help if you'd be more specific, I don't think that's an unreasonable request.