Carroll v Agbonlahor

Park Life

I'd normally have gone with Agbon, but yesterday made me do a complete about turn. The finishing is the key difference if you lay off the pace of one against the heading of the other.

Thoughts.

the two together would be a decent pairing. agbon reminds me of bellamy when he signed for us. raw pace to burn but finishing a bit wayward.

Good point, but I think bellers had a bit more dribbling in him. It will be strange if over the next couple of years Carroll ends up with 10 caps or summink. :lol:

The finishing from Carroll yesterday was mint. He is a total handfull for all defenders. Hope it continues.

Back to OP. I would go with Carroll, slightly biased like, but he was a handful last season and looks like hell be the same this season.

Carroll looks top class in the making, well played to him.

His aerial power, finishing ability, vision and work rate were top class.

unfortunately he won’t be getting man marked by a rookie only playing his 3rd game in his career every week.

Probably set Ciaran Clark’s career back a few years!

the two together would be a decent pairing. agbon reminds me of bellamy when he signed for us. raw pace to burn but finishing a bit wayward.

He's nothing like Bellamy. Bellamy has always been a clever player whose movement and touch have been quality - whereas Agbonlahor has always looked like a sprinter turned into footballer, to me anyway.

He's nothing like Bellamy. Bellamy has always been a clever player whose movement and touch have been quality - whereas Agbonlahor has always looked like a sprinter turned into footballer, to me anyway.

You're a bloody connesieur you are.

got to disagree with you there. when bellamy joined us he was very similar to agbonlahor is now. raw pace, poor finishing, poor final ball. obvioulsy he's streets ahead of him now.

got to disagree with you there. when bellamy joined us he was very similar to agbonlahor is now. raw pace, poor finishing, poor final ball. obvioulsy he's streets ahead of him now.

He clicked with Shearer virtually from the off. He only looked a tad dodgy when he played early doors alongside Shola (Intertoto Cup iirc?) when Shearer was injured. But Shola doesn't even know what he's going to do so you can't blame Bellamy for not reading him. How long had Bellamy been here when he had that blinder against Villa (goal through Schmeical's legs after a delicate chip into him by Robbie Elliott)? He's not a natural finisher (although he's improved on that score) in that he's better when he has less time to think but what's that got to do with what 2J said anyway? I.e. his comments about his movement and touch. The latter was very good in particular as soon as he linked up with Shearer. I don't remember his final ball being poor anyway. And while I'm at it I think Agbonlahor is shite.

i reckon agbonlahor would walk into our team and if we were to sign him he'd probably transform it with his pace and movement playing off a big target man, just as bellamy did playing off shearer when he joined us. he'd probably get about the same number of goals too.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Hypothetical question for you Dan - do you think we would have finished as high as we did under SBR - if we'd have had Agbonlahor (with his current ability) instead of Craig Bellamy?

I most certainly think we wouldn't have.

i reckon agbonlahor would walk into our team and if we were to sign him he'd probably transform it with his pace and movement playing off a big target man, just as bellamy did playing off shearer when he joined us. he'd probably get about the same number of goals too.

It's not all about the goals - which is my point. Bellamy's general play and footballing intelligence has always been vastly superior to Agbonlahor's.

Hypothetical question for you Dan - do you think we would have finished as high as we did under SBR - if we'd have had Agbonlahor (with his current ability) instead of Craig Bellamy?

difficult to say as i don't think that our team overall is as good now as it was the summer we signed bellamy and robert. i'm pretty sure a player with bellamy's pace and movement woud have a similar impact though. we're crying out for a pacey front man in the bellamy/agbonlahor mould to play off carroll.

nolan did well yesterday but i doubt he'll maintain that level of performance across a season. pace and mobility up front is massively important at this level.

It's not all about the goals - which is my point. Bellamy's general play and footballing intelligence has always been vastly superior to Agbonlahor's.

it is now - he's a class player now and has added a lot to his all round game over the years - finishing and use of the ball. i'm not sure he was that much better than agbonlahor when he joined tbh. he was young and raw too. i'd argue it was his willingess to take players on and stretch defences that gave us a different dimension and gave shearer a new lease of life.

difficult to say as i don't think that our team overall is as good now as it was the summer we signed bellamy and robert. i'm pretty sure a player with bellamy's pace and movement woud have a similar impact though. we're crying out for a pacey front man in the bellamy/agbonlahor mould to play off carroll.

nolan did well yesterday but i doubt he'll maintain that level of performance across a season. pace and mobility up front is massively important at this level.

Which Agbonlahor most certainly doesn't have.

well he's a willing runner with pace, who is happy to work the channels. there aren't many like that on our books at the moment

well he's a willing runner with pace, who is happy to work the channels. there aren't many like that on our books at the moment

Bellamy's movement is about the timing of his runs, waiting on the last shoulder as well. I also wouldn't say Agbonlahor is a willing runner and happy to work the channels - whenever I've seen him he's just strolled around more often than not and is quite lazy. He certainly doesn't have the work ethic Bellamy has always had.

For me, Carroll and Bellamy playing every week could have guaranteed a mid table finish.

Easilly, because Bellamy is class and Carroll albeit in only two games looks ready for the prem and he is unplayable in the air.

As for Bellamy vs Agbonlahor its not even close and wasn't even when Bellamy was starting here, he's way ahead of Agbon and always will be because of the things 2J mentioned.

He clicked with Shearer virtually from the off. He only looked a tad dodgy when he played early doors alongside Shola (Intertoto Cup iirc?) when Shearer was injured. But Shola doesn't even know what he's going to do so you can't blame Bellamy for not reading him. How long had Bellamy been here when he had that blinder against Villa (goal through Schmeical's legs after a delicate chip into him by Robbie Elliott)? He's not a natural finisher (although he's improved on that score) in that he's better when he has less time to think but what's that got to do with what 2J said anyway? I.e. his comments about his movement and touch. The latter was very good in particular as soon as he linked up with Shearer. I don't remember his final ball being poor anyway. And while I'm at it I think Agbonlahor is shite.

Christ, can you remember when Shola and Lua Lua played a few games together in Europe? No body (including themselves) had any idea what either of them were going to do. Scored a few mind.