This Is England '86

Tooj

Used to be £1 a bottle of Castaway and £1 a bottle of Diamond White in Circus Circus from 7 to 8 on a Sunday night. :) Things tended to go south from 8 o clock on. :blush:

Circus Circus pmsl "howay lets gan ti the ritzy".

:lol: I worked in Bliss at the time man, I was used to mixing it with bamps.

WHERE was Bliss again next door to Yell?

Maceys was the best bar on the BM I thought. Robinson's oh dear. It was impossible to talk to anyone in there.

Nah Bliss was on Market Street, opposite the police station. It was attached to Buz, but the bar staff in Bliss only had to embarrass themselves slightly by wearing trousers, a shirt and a bow tie. Buz was fucking lycra-town for bar staff.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quicksand. Every fucking action TV show or movie in the 80s seemed to have people falling in quicksand. I used to be fucking terrified of it.

You never see it in any films or telly these days.

bloody hell this thread is bringing back memories :) Tiffanys was still the best thing of the eighties and don't think it's been mentioned so far :lol: . Depending on your musical taste the Hacienda room or the main floor . Ankle warmers/tank tops/pinafores/ra-ra skirts/sta press/oxfords/brogues/Y cardies....I coukd go on and on ..........happy days :blush::D

Booking the new releases out at the video shop cos they'd only have one copy of each film. You could reserve stuff at Video Phil (what a name!) at the nook in shields and had to keep checking to see if the person that had it had brought it back in yet.

Fixing the tracking and fast forwarding and rewinding if the tape wasn't quite working properly.

I'm in Scotland at the minute and just walked down a street with a Victoria Wine and an Intersport on it. Land that time forgot.

I was in the Montparnasse shopping centre in Paris a couple of months ago and they had a C&A, Habitat, and a few other old skool chains I thought had gone to the wall. Was like being back in the 80s. And I thought the French were supposed to be cool and sophisticated.

They still dress like the kids out the tricolore books over there man. And you still get Intersport in Norn Iron. And Nazi-related grafitti. Combat 18 ffs :) So called because at their peak they had 18 members.

:lol: The Tricolore books were always good for a laugh. You know its called Combat 18 cos of AH right or am I being whooshed?

Booking the new releases out at the video shop cos they'd only have one copy of each film. You could reserve stuff at Video Phil (what a name!) at the nook in shields and had to keep checking to see if the person that had it had brought it back in yet.

Fixing the tracking and fast forwarding and rewinding if the tape wasn't quite working properly.

I'm in Scotland at the minute and just walked down a street with a Victoria Wine and an Intersport on it. Land that time forgot.

I was in the Montparnasse shopping centre in Paris a couple of months ago and they had a C&A, Habitat, and a few other old skool chains I thought had gone to the wall. Was like being back in the 80s. And I thought the French were supposed to be cool and sophisticated.

They still dress like the kids out the tricolore books over there man. And you still get Intersport in Norn Iron. And Nazi-related grafitti. Combat 18 ffs :) So called because at their peak they had 18 members.

:lol: The Tricolore books were always good for a laugh. You know its called Combat 18 cos of AH right or am I being whooshed?

You should be feeling a slight breeze in your hair, Dan.

tbh

:D The Tricolore books were always good for a laugh. You know its called Combat 18 cos of AH right or am I being whooshed?

tbh

:lol:

Fucking astonishing that btw. :blush:

You should be feeling a slight breeze in your hair, Dan.

Assumed as much. :blush:

Black and White checked scarves/hats worn by roughly half of the crowd at SJP.....was in the Percy after the game on Sunday and a lad came in wearing one :lol:

"Traffic Light" puffa jackets.....3 different colour bands, cool as fuck..also denim dunagarees, for some unknown reason? :)

and err...Espadrilles :blush: ...which, correct me if I'm wrong style freaks, have made a comeback this summer?...

My favourite Russ Abbot joke was

'Waiter, can you clear this table?'

'Not in these trousers'.

I also once had an idea for a brand of suncream for skiers called 'Burnie Winters' which came in a Schnorbitz style brandy barrel.

Those Miami Vice jackets with the rolled up sleeves, I had a light blue one always worn with a pair of white deck shoes and one of those previously mentioned striped shirts.

Lacoste cardigans (dont think anyones mentioned them yet)

Paisley scarves

Blue meanies (Snakebite with Blue Bols), I remember me and 5 mates going to a caravan in Berwick for a weekend, shopping consisted of a loaf of bread, 6 tins of beans and sausages, 6 litres cider, 6 litres lager and 2 bottles of blue bols. The pressure cooker came in handy for mixing it. :)

Subbuteo and waiting frantically for the players with the new kits to come out (Beatties normally had them first iirc)

Looking at the massively expensive remote control cars in there and realising I would never own one.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Subbuteo and waiting frantically for the players with the new kits to come out (Beatties normally had them first iirc)

Looking at the massively expensive remote control cars in there and realising I would never own one.

I even had the numbers on the back of the shirts. I stood on Brian Tinnion, so I only had 10 toon players.

The most classic 80s thing of the lot is bullseye and no one mentioned it.

I even had the numbers on the back of the shirts. I stood on Brian Tinnion, so I only had 10 toon players.

The most classic 80s thing of the lot is bullseye and no one mentioned it.

I did :)

dogtanian and the muskehounds amongst many other bizarre french animations ( ulysses and his giant eye like space ship).

Leoo gemelli jumpers

Hi tec moonboot trainers.

thos shitty nike anoraks.

Firefox.

John Carpenters greatest films (with 3 or 4 exceptions) then his decline.

the smiths. style council. Pil.

awful.

( ulysses and his giant eye like space ship).

They were still repeating that well into the 90s for those unfortunate enough to be awake before the Big Breakfast started. I was thinking of it the other day as I walked past 2 Lock Keepers' Cottages. No sign of a memorial to Gaby Roslin and Chris Evans, for what it's worth. :)

( ulysses and his giant eye like space ship).

They were still repeating that well into the 90s for those unfortunate enough to be awake before the Big Breakfast started. I was thinking of it the other day as I walked past 2 Lock Keepers' Cottages. No sign of a memorial to Gaby Roslin and Chris Evans, for what it's worth. :)

Was a classic cartoon that. More episodes than Willy Fogg. I'll also mention The Mysterious Cities of Gold for good measure.

Edited by alex