Spotify Premium

The Fish

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My phone contract is up for discussion next month so I've started looking at what's out there. I've never bothered with Spotify as I've always used an SD card on my phone but some of the phones I've looked at haven't got a slot so I thought I'd look at getting a phone with "standard" storage space and maybe getting a Giffgaff unlimited data bag and use Spotify.So I've downloaded it and "followed" all the band I like and pointed it at my NAS for home usage and downloaded the app to my phone and started playing around.I've seen the discover thing but it seems unfocused - is there a way to get it to do what Pandora does (one of the greatest crimes against humanity ever is that that's unavailable in the UK) and say "you like x therefore why not listen to y?"Any other tips?(I've seen HF's post above but don't think I could be arsed to upload all my music to the cloud)

I used to google for a US zip code to use on Pandora and it worked a treat, not sure if it does now like...

I've gone down the cloud route with the google play app and it suits me fine with 3 "all you can eat" data.....unless you live out in the sticks, I've discovered 3 is very much an "urban" network :glare:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Right kids, I'm giving this a 30 day trial. I like it and I think I prefer it to Play Music.

One thing I like about Play Music though is that you can thumbs up songs. This is good for two reasons - firstly you feel like the Fonz and secondly it automatically creates a playlist of every song you've ever Fonzied. And you could do this from the widget.

Is there an equivalent to this on Spotify or do you have to create a playlist and add songs to it?

Any other stuff I might be missing that I should know about? The future of Spotify depends upon it.

Right kids, I'm giving this a 30 day trial. I like it and I think I prefer it to Play Music.

One thing I like about Play Music though is that you can thumbs up songs. This is good for two reasons - firstly you feel like the Fonz and secondly it automatically creates a playlist of every song you've ever Fonzied. And you could do this from the widget.

Is there an equivalent to this on Spotify or do you have to create a playlist and add songs to it?

Any other stuff I might be missing that I should know about? The future of Spotify depends upon it.

Aye, click the + by songs and they'll go into "Your Music". From there, you can search by songs, albums or artists so just go into songs, hit shuffle and you're away.

Not sure if I mentioned, but I worked out how to import smart playlists from Itunes to plex.

This was my greatest achievement for 2015 so far.

Playlisting on Spotify and Playmusic and Plex is shit. I want them to work out where songs belong based on year, genre, rating & date added. I don't want to move individual songs and albums in a painstaking exercise prone to user error.

Ah nice one cheers. I half worked this out after posting this but wasn't sure quite what the + was doing.

Aye, the UI of Spotify has been getting worse and worse with each passing update. Video ads means it runs at an absolute crawl on this, admittedly, well-used laptop.

Aye, the UI of Spotify has been getting worse and worse with each passing update. Video ads means it runs at an absolute crawl on this, admittedly, well-used laptop.

Use Adblock.

You still cant save the files at higher than 90kps for off line use?

Still no use to me at all.

Can't you access local files through spotify?

Mind, Spotify probably has a limit to it's own playback quality...

Apparently it's all gravy Chezy

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Accounts-and-Subscriptions/offline-playlists-with-320-KB-s/td-p/220046

Edited by The Fish

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The other users would have to have the same address set up in their account profile iirc. The way it works is that one person sets up a family account and then invites the other users. But I'm sure there's something that stops you inviting them if the addresses don't match.

Might be wrong, I just seem to remember running into that.

I have a family sub for myself and the gf and tbh she only ever logs in on her mobile and there's never been any issue.

I suspect it's not that well monitored like a lot of these type of things so I was actually going to give it to other family members in other parts of the country and see how it goes.

Will let you know the result if I get around to it.

• 6 months later...

I have a family sub for myself and the gf and tbh she only ever logs in on her mobile and there's never been any issue.

I suspect it's not that well monitored like a lot of these type of things so I was actually going to give it to other family members in other parts of the country and see how it goes.

Will let you know the result if I get around to it.

Forgot about this.  I've got 4 people on my family plan, 3 different locations, no hassle.

Obviously you need to use your head on sign up and not put different addresses.

Any services worth checking out other than Spotify?

I've been trying out a few different alternatives due to some (now seemingly very) minor gripes with Spotify.

Apple are a fucking disaster and every time I try to do anything with them I give up (managed to waste an hour this time).

Google Play Music are decent but make me appreciate Spotify a lot more.

Going to give Deezer a go after that. 

Am I missing anything?

Spotify getting rid of the inbox feature is a right pain. I'm not quite at the point of switching to another service, but it was one of their best features so I'm using them more out of habit than any great enthusiasm now.

My mate uses Deezer's premium service and speaks of it highly. I use Apple Music, just because I bought an iPhone and it's already built in and I'm a lazy man. As far as I can tell though, Spotify has a deeper library so there's been a few times where I've had to go out and buy (illegally download) albums/compilations that aren't on there for whatever reason.

It's the handiest (possibly only way) that I can stream to my wireless speakers so that's pretty much the only reason I'm paying for it.

I can't imagine not paying for streaming services these days (both because of how handy it is and wanting to support the medium).

My mate uses Deezer's premium service and speaks of it highly. I use Apple Music, just because I bought an iPhone and it's already built in and I'm a lazy man. As far as I can tell though, Spotify has a deeper library so there's been a few times where I've had to go out and buy (illegally download) albums/compilations that aren't on there for whatever reason.

Aye, Deezer looked the most promising of the lot (though I had high hopes for Google) as it's the only one that looks like it can compete with Spotify's software on Windows and mobile.