Owen out again

East Stander

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Injured again, what a surprise.

62395[/snapback]

So what should we have done? Looked into our crystal balls and see that he was going to get injured and therefore not bought him?

Of course, this would never have happened if SBR was still in charge :angry:

62424[/snapback]

Why do you always come up with the same shit comments?

62446[/snapback]

You're the one who appears to think the Robson could do no wrong and that we'd be better off if he hadn't been sack if I'm not mistaken??

Souness was NOT the right man to replace him, but that doesn't detract from the point that Robson had to go - tbh he should have been relieved of his duties 3 months before he actually was!

62449[/snapback]

I honestly don't know what you're talking about. I'm certainly not the one who thought Robson could do no wrong - I lost a lot of respect for him back when he forced Solano out of the club and though his departure was handled disgracefully, it was time for him to go - he probably should have left in the summer.

My gripe with you is that you always jump to Souness' defence even when no-one has said anything against him (as in this case). Where or when did I suggest that Souness was to blame for Owen's injury and that he wouldn't be injured if Robson was still in charge? Nobody has said such a thing. You're so desperate to defend Souness all the time (even when there is nothing to defend him from) that you seem to sign every other post with "But of course Souness is to blame for that :angry: ". But then you go and hide behind comments like "I don't think Souness is a good coach, but...".

FFS, at least Gemmill openly admits that he bums Souness. ;)

I've never rated Souness, I don't think he should ever have been appointed as manager and I'll breathe a sigh of relief the day he is replaced.

However, I think he gets blamed for things that are beyond his control. Maybe not by you, but by a growing proportion of people. I've never defended him, I've just voiced the view that it would be madness to replace him mid-season...

I've never rated Souness, I don't think he should ever have been appointed as manager and I'll breathe a sigh of relief the day he is replaced.

However, I think he gets blamed for things that are beyond his control. Maybe not by you, but by a growing proportion of people. I've never defended him, I've just voiced the view that it would be madness to replace him mid-season...

62532[/snapback]

So why have go at Swissmag in the first place?

And if you are saying that he gets blamed for things beyond his control, isn't that a sort of defence?

Anyway, I think the manager is responsible for the fitness state of the team.

62532[/snapback]

Fair enough. I still get the impression that you are constantly defending him from accusations no-one is making (e.g. I haven't seen a single post blaming him for Owen being injured all the time), which is a bit pointless.

he's probably confusing you with me to be fair.

i was one of the few that thought we shouldn't have sacked sir bobby when we did.

62533[/snapback]

Did you say that he wouldn't have been injured if Robson was still in charge though? ;)

62532[/snapback]

Fair enough. I still get the impression that you are constantly defending him from accusations no-one is making (e.g. I haven't seen a single post blaming him for Owen being injured all the time), which is a bit pointless.

62543[/snapback]

Mistaken identity on my part tbh - soz....

What's the chances of going a single week without talking about Bellamy?

He was never that good for us to keep harping on about him.

He's gone get over it and get on with your life.

62486[/snapback]

Like it or not DK...myself and others are commenting on the fact we are a far worse side without him, when this subject crops we are stating the reason why we are a worse side without him, and will probably continue to do so until we are at least matching the results and league position we had under Bobby Robson, because until that happens...his sale isn't justified in any shape or form whatsoever.

Injured again, what a surprise.

62395[/snapback]

So what should we have done? Looked into our crystal balls and see that he was going to get injured and therefore not bought him?

Of course, this would never have happened if SBR was still in charge ;)

62424[/snapback]

If SBR was still in charge, we would still have a player who played in 54 premiership games in 18 months, while still carrying a painful knee injury .....

Has since been accused by people inside the club of feigning injury and being a "cancer"

62455[/snapback]

Bellamy is injury prone too tbh.

62457[/snapback]

maybe he was, but he showed a lot more appetite to play for Newcastle than Owen has so far, and others too.

Would you call that a "bad influence", No I don't think so.

62463[/snapback]

Bollocks!

Craig Bellamy was me, me, me.....

"If this club signs Wayne Rooney then I'm off!!"

Michael Owen has a groin strain for fuck's sake - Bellamy declared himself 'injured' in order that he could talk to the chairman - BIG difference!

62466[/snapback]

and Shearer said the same under Gullit ? And Rob Lee would have gone too ?

Please explain the difference.

Also, please explain if you think its alright for players not to be bothered if they play or not, why we don't buy more Marcelinos ?

62470[/snapback]

When did Shearer stand before a TV camera and state that?? As for Rob Lee, you're speculating. Bellamy actually said that..

62474[/snapback]

Shearer has stated on many occasions that if Gullit had stayed and he was out of the team, he would have no choice but to leave. Which is exactly the same as Bellamy said.

62482[/snapback]

The BIG difference being that Shearer was talking retrospectively...

He'd never have said it at the the time but then that's the professionalism of the man.

Don't remember Shearer ever publically calling his manager a liar either, or Owne for that matter :angry:

62487[/snapback]

maybe because he wasn't asked !!!

Bellamy called Souness a liar, because he was...face it Craig, we are worse off without him, the manager has cost us a fortune to massage his ego, and taken the team backwards to go with it, and you know it.

face it Craig, we are worse off without him, the manager has cost us a fortune to massage his ego, and taken the team backwards to go with it, and you know it.

62570[/snapback]

I will conceed that we're in a worse position than we were 2 years ago. But I won't agree that Craig Bellamy is the sole, or even primary reason for this - in fact I'd argue that he is one of the reasons we went into decline...

face it Craig, we are worse off without him, the manager has cost us a fortune to massage his ego, and taken the team backwards to go with it, and you know it.

62570[/snapback]

I will conceed that we're in a worse position than we were 2 years ago. But I won't agree that Craig Bellamy is the sole, or even primary reason for this - in fact I'd argue that he is one of the reasons we went into decline...

62588[/snapback]

In my opinion, you and others are completely underestimating the effect that a pacy front player, with fantastic desire in every game he plays, mobility, that makes things happen for others, has on his team mates and the performance of an ageing striker who was his partner, and wants to play for the club to such an extent that he played for 18 months despite having the knee problems he had, and then risking his career by going to Shepherd to try to tell him how unhappy he was .......

Instead concentrating on a pathetic training ground incident, which means absolutely nothing, or nothing more than the sort of thing that you find in every factory, office , or anywhere. An employee who has problems relating to a new boss, and wants to stay at the club so much he is prepared to do what he did. Whether you consider it foolish is not the point, the fact is he did it with good intentions, he was unhappy. We all feel like that about people sometimes.

The finger should be levelled at the manager, who quite clearly and plainly targetted him, and saw the situation as a player who he realised he wasn't capable enough to control the very personality which was his strength on the field, so decided he wanted him out, irrespective of his footballing ability, on the field, again, where it matters.

And, a lot of players have came and arrived, but Bellamy is the major player here, so unfortunately for Souness, his lackeys and supporters, as the results and performances have dived to such a degree, you have to concede that losing Bellamy is the major reason for this decline. The remainder being Souness' own lack of motivational, managerial, and tactial skills.

62570[/snapback]

62588[/snapback]

He was one of if not the most prominent reasons we were in that position to decline from in the first place tbh.

62570[/snapback]

62588[/snapback]

He was one of if not the most prominent reasons we were in that position to decline from in the first place tbh.

62891[/snapback]

Yep, but he undid all his own good work tbh.

He was a contributing factor, yes. But it seems churlish to vilify him for the bad things he did and not credit him for the good things, particularly as it was his antagonistic and aggressive personality that both lifted and later deflated the team.

It's akin to criticising Kevin Pietersen for getting out caught in the deep trying to heave the spinner into space - that's how he plays his game and no-one complains when the ball sails into the car park.

He was a contributing factor, yes. But it seems churlish to vilify him for the bad things he did and not credit him for the good things, particularly as it was his antagonistic and aggressive personality that both lifted and later deflated the team.

It's akin to criticising Kevin Pietersen for getting out caught in the deep trying to heave the spinner into space - that's how he plays his game and no-one complains when the ball sails into the car park.

62904[/snapback]

A bit like lambasting Shola but praising him for scoring against the Mackems?

Ruud Gullit got us to an FA Cup final and Souness is the only manager to take a Newcastle team into April with them still in 2 cup competitions as well remember! ;)

:angry:

What's the chances of going a single week without talking about Bellamy?

He was never that good for us to keep harping on about him.

He's gone get over it and get on with your life.

62486[/snapback]

Like it or not DK...myself and others are commenting on the fact we are a far worse side without him, when this subject crops we are stating the reason why we are a worse side without him, and will probably continue to do so until we are at least matching the results and league position we had under Bobby Robson, because until that happens...his sale isn't justified in any shape or form whatsoever.

62569[/snapback]

We are also a worse side for allowing Jackie Milburn/Malcolm McDonald/Peter Beardsley/Chris Waddle/Gazza to leave. Are you going to start involving them in every discussion too?

I have no objection to having a discussion about the relative merits or otherwise about our team at different points in time if that's what you want but this thread, correct me if I'm wrong, was about the fact that Owen is injured for tonights game and the decision to sell Bellamy is not relevant.

As it happens I agree with you that what went on with Bellamy wasn't in the best interest of the team. His pace and energy up front are sadly missed at the moment and whatever benefit we may have gained in increased dressing room morale doesn't in my opinion make up for it. Not to mention the fact that the manner of his exit cost us millions in his transfer value.

But this has been done to death and I don't see the point of continuing to include it in almost every thread.

Bit like having a go at Craig Bellamy for being a horrible little cunt ;)

62912[/snapback]

Exactly, being a horrible little cunt is part of his game, winding up the opposition, putting them off their game. Having the confidence and arrogance to run at defenders. How many times did people say before "he's an arsehole, but I'm glad he's our arsehole"?

Craig, you've completley missed my point tbh.

From nufc.com's match report:

However to see Owen pogo-ing across a Swiss pitch after beating the Argies, only to promptly report to the sickbay again upon his return to club football is starting to cause raised eyebrows among those who turn out, rain or shine. Had this been Bellamy, then we'd be marching on the FAW HQ in Cardiff by now....

Discuss.

From nufc.com's match report:

However to see Owen pogo-ing across a Swiss pitch after beating the Argies, only to promptly report to the sickbay again upon his return to club football is starting to cause raised eyebrows among those who turn out, rain or shine. Had this been Bellamy, then we'd be marching on the FAW HQ in Cardiff by now....

Discuss.

62931[/snapback]

Can't disagree with that. It's bloody frustrating isn't it.