Carling Cup 3rd round VS Chelsea

2bias

Im sorry guys but every year people seem to be quick in dismissing the cup games. These games are our only realistic chance of getting close to silverware, yet so many of you are impervious to how well we do in them. For those who say that premiership status is key, i agree, but i dont recall us having a good cup run the season that we got relegated. Lets give it our all and hope that chelsea dont field their strongest 11. Come on the toon!!!

Im sorry guys but every year people seem to be quick in dismissing the cup games. These games are our only realistic chance of getting close to silverware, yet so many of you are impervious to how well we do in them. For those who say that premiership status is key, i agree, but i dont recall us having a good cup run the season that we got relegated. Lets give it our all and hope that chelsea dont field their strongest 11. Come on the toon!!!

Funny interpretation of the word 'realistic' there.

With the big three, Man City, Spurs and Liverpool to start with (not to mention the other teams that haven't just been promoted) there's not a lot of silverware to go around and competition for the cups will be fierce this year. We will in all likelihood get nowhere near winning anything, the silver lining of which we will be able to focus the efforts of our small squad on the most important task, our league performance.

That said a cup run is always great and if we do somehow get close to winning one that would be fantastic. So I hope we field a decent side against Chelsea in the hope of pulling off an upset, but I'm not that optimistic.

Field a young side I say, our first team don't need the dent in confidence that this is likely to be, plus no sense in risky injury. Fire up the young and fringe players - nothing to lose here.

Agree 100%. Lets play our strongest team and go for it. In my opinion its just as important as the next league game and represents our best and probably only chance of a trophy. They will play a weakened team so we do stand a chance.

A good cup run would be fantastic

Couldn't agree more! And i don't accept this "injuries" risk either. If you are going to get an injury crisis you are going to get one - players can get fettled in pre season games and training - perhaps we shouldn't do those either!

.............and don't accept our squad is that small either, dependant upon the next 24 hours perhaps. If Chelsea put a strong team out we also need to do so as well - an "Accrington" team would get mauled - no benefits to anyone in that.