What's for lunch that's interesting or a bit different and isn't just a ham sandwich or some beetroot

wykikitoon

From the BMJ:

Saturated fat isn't the problem. Diets with high sugar and transfats are. Coconut oil, one of the best sources of fat out there, is loaded with natural, untampered with saturated fat. I use it every day. Give me that over the hydrogenated vegetable oil you find in most low fat products. The billion dollar diet industry has a lot to answer for.

http://www.bmj.com/press-releases/2013/10/22/observations-saturated-fat-not-major-issue

I don't use vegetable oil but have heard a few people talk about coconut oil and spread lately. Does it taste of coconut???

Is oil and spread easily available.

Also I'm hearing more and more that butter is better than Marge. Does this go for all butters or is there a particular brand / type that's good.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use vegetable oil but have heard a few people talk about coconut oil and spread lately. Does it taste of coconut???

Is oil and spread easily available.

Also I'm hearing more and more that butter is better than Marge. Does this go for all butters or is there a particular brand / type that's good.

butter is better than "low fat" spread because it's a real, whole food. it's natural. not processed shit.

stick to whole foods nd the rest looks after itself. you'll lose weight and live longer.

butter is better than "low fat" spread because it's a real, whole food. it's natural. not processed shit.

stick to whole foods nd the rest looks after itself. you'll lose weight and live longer.

But is better than all spreads. (Still thinks this is a cunning toontastic plot to fatten me up and kill me off)!

From the BMJ:

Saturated fat isn't the problem. Diets with high sugar and transfats are. Coconut oil, one of the best sources of fat out there, is loaded with natural, untampered with saturated fat. I use it every day. Give me that over the hydrogenated vegetable oil you find in most low fat products. The billion dollar diet industry has a lot to answer for.

http://www.bmj.com/press-releases/2013/10/22/observations-saturated-fat-not-major-issue

By the way, it's no wonder people are confused when the public health department and the boss of the British heart foundation disagree with the fella you quoted.

This is what they said in direct response to your fellas argument?

Neither Public Health England nor the British Heart Foundation agreed with Malhotra's argument. Peter Weissberg, medical director at the British Heart Foundation, said: "Studies on the link between diet and disease frequently produce conflicting results because, unlike drug trials, it's difficult to undertake a properly controlled, randomised study. However, people with highest cholesterol levels are at highest risk of a heart attack and it's clear that lowering cholesterol, by whatever means, lowers risk."

"Cholesterol levels can be influenced by many factors including diet, exercise and drugs, in particular statins. There is clear evidence that patients who have had a heart attack, or who are at high risk of having one, can benefit from taking a statin. But this needs to be combined with other essential measures, such as eating a balanced diet, not smoking and taking regular exercise."

Alison Tedstone, director of diet and obesity at Public Health England, said: "PHE recommends that no more than 11% of person's average energy intake should come from saturated fats, as there is evidence to show increased levels of saturated fats can raise blood cholesterol levels, in turn raising the risk of cardiovascular disease.

"The government's advice is based on a wealth of evidence. The BMJ article is based on opinion rather than a complete review of the research.

"Evidence specifically linking sugar to cardiovascular disease is limited; however, on average the population needs to reduce its sugar intake. Eating more calories than we need, irrespective of whether they come from sugar or fat, over time leads to weight gain. Being overweight or obese increases the risk of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes."

Never touch hydrogenated coconut oil or for that matter, anything that has been hydrogenated, that's why margarine is so bad for you.

this.

hydrogenated means adding hydrogen to oils, to make it firm and hold shape - a'la marge - and in the process, transforming it into a fatty acid aka artificial "transfats". now, the human body doesn't like these man made brand of transfats because they are unfamiliar, with zero nutirional value and they clog up arteries. it's a completely unnatural process - the oils are left with a putrid smell so more chemicals are added to mask the odour.

why swap butter ( a completely natural and delicious whole food) for a highly synthetic and unpleasant-tasting alternative?

this.

hydrogenated means adding hydrogen to oils, to make it firm and hold shape - a'la marge - and in the process, transforming it into a fatty acid aka artificial "transfats". now, the human body doesn't like these man made brand of transfats because they are unfamiliar, with zero nutirional value and they clog up arteries. it's a completely unnatural process - the oils are left with a putrid smell so more chemicals are added to mask the odour.

why swap butter ( a completely natural and delicious whole food) for a highly synthetic and unpleasant-tasting alternative?

Because the public health department and British heart foundation say it's better than butter? :lol:

But apart from that, aye why?

Because the public health department and British heart foundation say it's better than butter? :lol:

But apart from that, aye why?

more and more research is challenging the traditional line that saturated fat is the big evil people have for years assumed it is.

why does the country have an obesity crisis? is it because we're eating too much fat or sugar? for my money it's sugar, as that is the main ingredient in most processed foods.

h

Absolutely sugar is the problem, not good fats, like olive, coconut oil, butter and the nut oils. Sugar makes your body produce starch which makes your body store fat and not burn it up. This goes back to the days when we were hunter and gatheres and we didn't eat so regulary.

Actual margerine is illegal over here, isn't it?

You're kidding yourself if you think that completely artificially-flavoured and yellowed spread is better than real, good ol' fatty butter.

Like you and Gloom I have no real idea. The fact remains though that the public health, department, British heart foundation and most of the medical community disagree.

Here's a real idea:

You're fat and unhealthy because you eat low fat, high sugar, processed foods designed to make you lose weight but in reality loaded with transfats and chemicals. And you don't exercise.

I'm lean and healthy because I eat, in the main, natural whole foods and I take regular exercise.

Like you and Gloom I have no real idea. The fact remains though that the public health, department, British heart foundation and most of the medical community disagree.

Don't put yourself in the same boat as Brock and Gloom. One cooks food for a living, the other has nigh on 0% fat.

You're a tubby mackem

Then there's the chairman of nutrition at Harvard ......

Dr. Walter Willett, chairman of the department of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, cautions readers to take her findings with a grain of -- well, not salt.

Your risk for heart disease depends on HDL and LDL cholesterol: good and bad cholesterol. And scientists know, he said, that saturated fat raises unhealthy LDL levels in the blood.

Put down that doughnut: FDA takes on trans fat

Willet said the science is there to show saturated fats are not healthy. Sure, if you compare saturated fats to everything else in a person's diet, they may not look very damaging, especially compared to say, sugar.

But the idea that saturated fats are not all that bad is "only sort of a half a truth," Willet said.

I put on weight by eating large portions of shut food, NOT by eating low fat products. :lol:

I have however lost 2 stone by cutting way down on eating unhealthy stuff.

Eating some saturated fats may turn out to be good for most people but at the moment you seem to be clinging g to this idea based on no research whatsoever and in the face of overwhelming opposition from governments, experts and Harvard professors!

It's a bit like doubting climate change. ;)