What's for lunch that's interesting or a bit different and isn't just a ham sandwich or some beetroot

wykikitoon

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that common sense which made you claim factually incorrect details about transfats?

I was questioning your view that spreads are worse for you than butter which you based on the existence of transfats. As this was not actually true, i was merely highlighting this to demonstrate the propensity of people to spout off about things.

I eat butter for the record and i dont need lessons about diet. Its also not just 'common sense'. Does one glass of red wine a day harm or help you? Is it less than that or more than that? and for whom? how much red meat is fine per week? what overall outcomes are your criteria for determining acceptable quantities? on what basis? how would you observe the outcomes to justify the guidance? How would you control for red meat consumption with other dietary elements in your dataset? How much milk and cheese makes you fat and how much is good for you? How would you turn this into guidance for working parents of large young families?

Common sense tells you that these things might not be bad for you in moderation but what is moderation and how do you know that its not too little or too much?

What's not true? Artificial transfats are found in a bunch of processed foods, including margarine, fast foods, other processed goods masquerading as diet food - standard CT fare, basically. By artificial transfats I mean hydrogenated vegetable oil. This stuff is nasty and should be avoided. I'm aware that some low fat spreads don't contain it but even still, you're still talking about a man made product full of chemicals but fortified with vitamins in a bid to sound healthy. That I don't understand. Why not just opt for a delicious, natural product like butter in moderation instead? What do I mean by moderation? Well I tend to stop eating when I'm full but avoiding sharing platters for 4 (for 1) would be a good place for CT to start.

I'm not pretending to be a scientist or a nutritionist btw, so I won't begin to pretend I know the answers to most of your questions. But I do believe there are some flaws in what is perceived to be common wisdom, a lot of which is based on research from 20 or 30 years ago. Though for the record I haven't claimed eating steak or drinking a bottle of red wine every night is good for you either!

And like most people, I eat out and enjoy a drink and the odd bit of junk food. I just keep it to the weekend. As a general rule though, I'll choose naturally occurring fats in my diet rather than some processed crap. I suspect you actually agree with me here.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Like you and Gloom I have no real idea. The fact remains though that the public health, department, British heart foundation and most of the taxi driving community disagree.

20gef41.jpg

(Do not know exactly why all of these cabbies are not picking up fares but I am led to believe that they are giving you full support in your fact finding mission.)

• 2 weeks later...

King Edwards bay in Cullercoats has a pop up restaurant thing on sunny weekends called Riley's fish shack. We had lush trout and makeral wraps. Thy have Wylam ales on tap as well. Could have stopped all night for the live music if we didn't have the bairn.

They do the boiler shop steamer as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You should (not that I did today, to be honest). Add in boiled eggs, dark bread/crispbread and a nice sharp cheese for the full-on Scandi experience. Well, and lashings of aquavit, but that's not too lunch-friendly either. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today's pre match lunch is a fabulous East Coast rail inspired sandwich.

On my recent trip to London I had the most delicious spiced ham and roasted pepper sandwich on the train travelling each way.

This is my version.

Had no spiced ham so just used ordinary ham but did find that Asda sells roasted peppers in a jar. Result. Also grabbed a bottle of Mary Berrys original family recipe salad dressing. Probably the tastiest and unhealthiest salad dressing ever.

27g of sugar per 100g, 3 times the sugar content of coke. (I found this out after buying but am comforting myself with the fact that only a few drops are required).

yvamu9a8.jpg