What's for lunch that's interesting or a bit different and isn't just a ham sandwich or some beetroot

wykikitoon

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use vegetable oil but have heard a few people talk about coconut oil and spread lately. Does it taste of coconut???

Is oil and spread easily available.

Also I'm hearing more and more that batter is better than Marge. Does this go for all butters or is there a particular brand / type that's good.

Marge_Simpson.png

"Butter is better Margerine, CT. I'm the only Marge you should have time for. Now be a good boy and try not to bite your fingers when you're eating that sandwich."

If you want to know what healthy food is, just look back to the early war times. People ate fat on bread or dipping bread. People lived on eggs and bread, plus things like spam: corned beef: butter and basic veg.

Bananas in those days were a rarity, along with a lot of stuff we see in supermarkets that are classed as healthy.

Your body tells you what's good and bad for it, if you listen to it. The problem is, we have been brainwashed into eating what they tell us to eat.

They say stuff like, " oh, buy flora light, it's low in this and is full of omega 3", etc.

The next few years, they decide that butter isn't as bad for you as first thought. It's al a big marketing scam to dictate your life, which they do easily by scring the living crap out of most people who follow the scam.

The reason why old people of today are still going strong and actually walking on their own two feet, even at 90 odd, is because they ate what they wanted and what they needed, whilst discarding the stuff that made them feel listless and what not.

We don't do that, because the food that makes you feel like crap is the very food that tastes the best, in many cases. so what they do is, they play one against the other, as in, "oh, eat your five a day" and " buy this because it's full of omega 3 /6", or whatever, plus polyunsaturates in this and that, or calories are few in this bar and many in this bar.

Your good old English breakfast has been condemned, yet people went to work on a good old breakfast like that. Too much salt, sugar amd whatever causes this and that.

Eggs are good....no they're bad and can cause salmonella, said by nutritional world expert, Edwina Currie.

Cornflakes may cause cancer, they decide, then a few years later they find that there's not enough evidence.

They have spawned a nation of fitness worriers, that believe working out and drinking powdered protein shakes is the ultimate fitness regime, aided by your main meals, because your muscles get bigger.

I'll guarantee you that soon enough, they will come out and say that all these enhancing formulas will cause this and that in later life. Whether they will or not, they won't really know, because they just make this shit up as they go along.

When you go to the supermarket...go and buy the stuff you like, or used to eat when you were younger (for those in their 40's/50's, etc...because your body is your decider and it WILL tell you what's good or bad for you if you listen to it and feel it.

How many of you eat a meal and find that you feel sluggish? Most I bet. The thing is, that meal could be a pizza, kebab,a fried breakfast or whatever.

The problem is, we over-ride it because it's just too nice to discard it, so we put up with the dehydration or cramps or listlessness, etc.

There's fried breakfasts and there's fried breakfasts. The problem is what they're fried in and what's in the actual ingredients of the breakfast.

Bacon and eggs years ago were not pumped full of all kinds of stuff to enhance the production. Now they're like water pumped preservtive laced body killers.

It's hard to find proper bacon and proper eggs, unless you go to a farm or pay through the nose for the proper stuff in some supermarkets.

We are conditioned to buy Warburtons bread and stuff like that because people believe it's the best bread. Take a bit of time to smell that bread and taste it properly and you can literally taste a sort of bleach in it. It's minor but it's there.

They lash many foods with addictive ingredients to make you become accustomed to them and little do many people know that they are addictive, because it's just food, right?

If you notice things around you, you'll notice that Dr Pepper is taking over coke, etc with kids. They go mad for Dr Pepper. Why? Because like coke, it's addictive. So what's the special ingredients that are so secretive in these things? It makes you think if you're prepared to. If not, just carry on and eat what they coax us into.

Most of the good healthy food, today is tasteless but we are told to eat it for our health and yet are told not to eat MacDonalds and what not, because it makes us unhealthy and fat. It's a clever game because we all know what we do when someone tells us not to do this or that. We are rebels and do it anyway, whilst the health conscious sit and snack of low fat chesse on a celery stick wearing three quarter stretch leggings and smart dinky Nike trainers, looking toned and slim, yet are probably doing more harm to themselves with the low fat cheeses that the greaseball is who tumbles out of MacDonalds after a good old big Mac and fries.

Think about it! If you look around you at the fitness fanatics that once were....and you see them 20 years later....many look haggard and some don't exist anymore...yet your eat anything, drink anything, pill popper or various illegal drugs, is still walking about like a spring chicken. (No I'm not talking about the meth nd shootem ups here, just the pill popper crew and fast snorters).

I know a woman who jogged every day and ate healthy; didn't smoke and hardly drank. You know...that type. To see her now you would never believe she was anything other than a eat all the wrong foods and no exercise woman. She's a wreck and is only in her mid 50's. She's not fat, she's just worn out. Yet there's simple everyday mothers of her age that are flitting about like spring chickens, that smoke, drink, eat all the stuff they are told not to and honestly, they look 10 years younger.

I kid you not.

Todays culture is about the feel good, look good, confidence factor. The age of the young lass or lad that wouldn't be seen dead with anything other than a six pack hunk with a massive wanger or the lad wanting a FIT bird.

The lads all take their vitamins and work out using creatine and other enhancers, plus eat their pumped up chicken breasts and energy bars. The lasses eat what they want and go to boot camp .

The end result is a lot of insecure people walking about looking each other up and down and panicking about who looks the best, whilst doing their best to frown on anyone who doesn't appear to look as healthy as they look.

That's not their fault...it's the fault of those that dictate it all, which are the companies at the top who manufacture the crap and the brainwashing of brands, plus the pushing of the must look fit and healthy society by eating, using, wearing the stuff they put out.

Nothing's done by accident, whether it's a promotion of clothes...foods, fitness...pills...fitness powders or whatever. All done by that hypnotic screen in most people's living rooms/bedrooms, as well as the newspapers and radio to force an issue.

I'm not having a pop at anyone; I'm simply saying that if you're going to do something, do it for you, not because you're told to do it by peer pressure, whether that's food, fitness, clothing or whatever.

A confident person will start their own trend. A sheep will follow it.

There are loads of modern spreads with cholesterol benefits with no transfats in them at all. The old 'margarines' were ming ba ding but olive oil based spreads and all that jazz arent based on the old technologies that were apparently quite harmful.

I dont know for sure but i'd say there will be spreads on the market which are better for your health than butter. Bringing up transfats in that discussion would indicate to me a lack of knowledge on this specific question.

Which brings me to my main point, there is very little clear evidence on dietary issues because randomised studies are difficult to design and run. We are left with sub-standard research and observational datasets. Therefore be suspicious of anyone who declares something definitively in this area.

The reason we have experts to help us in these things is because its complicated. The reasons why real experts are cautiously conservative is because anything else in a complicated field dominated by weak evidence is intellectually dishonest.

Having said that, i buy whatever it is that Wolfy is selling.

There are loads of modern spreads with cholesterol benefits with no transfats in them at all. The old 'margarines' were ming ba ding but olive oil based spreads and all that jazz arent based on the old technologies that were apparently quite harmful.

I dont know for sure but i'd say there will be spreads on the market which are better for your health than butter. Bringing up transfats in that discussion would indicate to me a lack of knowledge on this specific question.

Which brings me to my main point, there is very little clear evidence on dietary issues because randomised studies are difficult to design and run. We are left with sub-standard research and observational datasets. Therefore be suspicious of anyone who declares something definitively in this area.

The reason we have experts to help us in these things is because its complicated. The reasons why real experts are cautiously conservative is because anything else in a complicated field dominated by weak evidence is intellectually dishonest.

Having said that, i buy whatever it is that Wolfy is selling.

Shit, just stocked up on butter!

Edited by Christmas Tree

you don't need to be an expert. it's just common sense.

whole foods, like butter, are better than man made, processed alternatives like low fat spreads.

the fact is your body needs fat. just as it needs protein and carbs. to suggest a diet low in fat will make the fat on your body automatically fall off is a nonsense.

so CT - do yourself a favour. ditch the 0% yoghurt and low fat spreads and enjoy real butter and full fat greek yoghurt. full fat natural options taste better, they don't contain nasty chemicals and it won't do your health any harm as part of a balanced diet.

You just need to look at photos from the 70s and 80s. A lot fewer fat men and women. Probably because there weren't 4 different types of takeaway on every street corner, the local supermarket didn't offer them 40 varieties of ice cream, 100 varieties of chocolate cereal, check out kiosks surrounded by chocolate bars, crisps and cans of pop.

People ate 3 square meals a day, did a modicum of exercise and still got away with a good drink without being an obese bastard. The amount of teenagers these days with moobs and a gut is ridiculous. Going outside to ride a bike or have a game of football is considered mental

whole foods, like butter, are better than man made, processed alternatives like low fat spreads.

the fact is your body needs fat. just as it needs protein and carbs. to suggest a diet low in fat will make the fat on your body automatically fall off is a nonsense.

so CT - do yourself a favour. ditch the 0% yoghurt and low fat spreads and enjoy real butter and full fat greek yoghurt. full fat natural options taste better, they don't contain nasty chemicals and it won't do your health any harm as part of a balanced diet.

I think where you always fall short on your advice is thinking what works for you will work for others.

You are a self confessed gym fiend who has seeds for snacks. You probably need more fat in your diet than most as a lot of us will get it from other sources.

The whole butter being better point that you're churning out, is based on a couple of guys looking at a very old study and using that data to try and make another point.

Nobody else in the entire universe seems to agree with them or have carried out further studies.

The younguns of today won't remember the taste of food from years ago, unless they go to Beamish :lol: , which still isn't the same.

The amount of antacids on shelves should tell any of us about the crap we eat. I don't remember suffering from my mothers cooking years ago with acid, yet if you eat a pie these days, they cripple you. It's your body telling you to stop it.

All the stuff you remember, like Lurpak and proper cheddar cheese...not the plastic crap. Home made dumplings in a stew with proper oxo's that didn't crumble like sand like they do today.

The salt and sugar they sell is not good for you either, because it's got additives in it. I know you would think, "eh? additives?, it's just salt."

It used to be just salt, the same as sugar used to be solid granulates. Take a look at it now. It's almost as light as saccharin sugar.

Look at your milk. How many buy semi skimmed or skimmed, believing it's better for you? Probably loads. Full fat milk is better, yet even better is the raw milk, because it has all the goodness in it, yet we won't see that unless you live on a farm with grass fed cows.

Two days, your milk lasted years ago, in the fridge. You can have a 4 pint carton for a week and it would only just be starting to go off. That should tell you all you need to know about healthy. NOT.

I remember when I was 5. I was older than 4 but younger than 6 until I became 6.

My mother used to send me out to get the milk in and I would be allowed to drink the cream off the top, that's if the birds didn't get to it first mind.

Pork chops on the bone with the rind, that tasted nice, not like the crap tastless stuff now, which is pumped full of saline to plump it up to make it look like you're getting a big joint of meat for your money, only to see it half disappear in thoven< (just trying a little yorkshire accent out).

This omega stuff. I mean, do they just make this shit up? People gobbling up tinned fish and fish fingers that contain omega 3, because it's good for your heart.

What a load of clap trap that is imho.

We know fish is good for you, if you get a decent piece of fish that hasn't been tampered with.

How many of you have been to the chippy and got a nice big fish that tastes of...NOTHING.

Most of the fish are filleted then filleted again, then lashed with batter to make them look like they're a proper chunky piece, yet they must soak them as well and take all the taste out, because most are nothing like the fish of years ago. I'm not kidding.

Taste your mars bars and kit kats. What's happened to those, apart from them being small. I mean, when I was a kid, I would have to take a barrow round the shops for my mars bar...it was that big....or maybe I had tiny hands and I was simply just pushing my A to Z block box round, I'm not sure.

They taste nothing like they used to, either.

Jersey taties. Yeah they're nice but nowhere near as nice as they once where. It's all this crap they're spraying and all this forced growing. Look at your iceberg lettuce and stuff. It's like it's almost man made. Clean and crisp. No more caterpillars or slugs in that stuff and it's tasteless as well.

They plump everything up and lather it in brine so it has some taste. The problem is, you're dehydrated after you eat most of the stuff, because of it. It's no good for us and that's why many times we get indigestion/heartburn and what not.

Don't disinfect your work tops, just wipe them down with a clean cloth, because our bodies are being starved of the very germs we need that we are told are bad for us. We need those germs for our bodies immune system to fight against an onslauught of other germs.

That's why kids eat mud and suck their fingers and what not.

We lather our bodies in chemicals and wash our hands before eating a sarnie. Just eat the sarnie with your hands in a mess, unless you've been raking your arse out or fell in dog poo or something...but even then, it'll make your sarnie more intresting. :naughty:

People wonder why we're a nation of 4 wheeled scooter riders with ailments galore. It's because our bodies are becoming weaker , immune wise, due to the crap we are brainwashed into eating.

Seriously, go out and buy the stuff they tell you not to. It's better for you.

I can't believe it's not butter. Yeah right. You can believe it's not butter because it's not and it's a souped up margarine that tastes nowt like butter, that's why we can believe it's not butter.

Look at all the anagrams of stuff that's basically telling you the stuff is crap. Look at FLORA. Remember the advert with the woman in the store and the man outside is trying to tell her to get FLORA. Well look at the anagram of it. AROLF....plain in your face. AROLF Hitler, isn't it.

Ok that was a bit daft and a crap joke and I'm sure I'll be crucified for it...but seriously, look at your rip off mineral waters and stuff. EVIAN..anagram is NAIVE. It's in your face. Peckham spring more like.

We buy crap and think it's good stuff. It's basically poison is small quantities, just like your flouride tap water, etc.

People sit and eat frigging bread with seeds in it because they think it's all healthy and put up with teeth full of it, plus the awkwardness of the seeds. Some love it and prefer it but really, it's just another pointless additive.

If you think about it. We get told that this cereal and that cereal is terrible for you, so what do they do? They bring out about another 50 cereals that are worse, then tell you that porridge and shredded wheat is the way to go. And you thought horses were hard done by eating bales of what you eat out of a cereal packet in solid form. Just soak to eat. No ADDED salt of sugar. Still full of it but they haven't added anymore to what's already in it.

The next time you buy your steak...you know that big slab that you cook with mushrooms and onion rings, then get a small medallion of meat from it. That's basically all it was when it was cut. It was just pumped full of water after being smacked to death with a medieval hammer.

I've wrote a little rhyme to help people onto the right road of eating. I hope you all enjoy it.

Roses are red and other colours. Violets are bluish....buy what you want from the shops and take no notice of people called stewish.

Ok it wasn't really a rhyme.

Now hands that do dishes can be as soft as your face, with mild green chemically saturated gunge.

Look after the planet folks. Remember to recycle your tins to save resources. Make sure you wash all of your empty bottles and tins out before you bin them. Using a few gallons of water for each tin is acceptable if you have a water meter, so recycle your extra coppers on that too and send it to your water company who will be delighted to turn it into paper money before feeding it into the bank to obtain a digital read out of their wealth that they can spend at their leisure by sticking a piece of plastic into a little device.

Be right back, my panackelty's boiling up. :razz:

Is that common sense which made you claim factually incorrect details about transfats?

I was questioning your view that spreads are worse for you than butter which you based on the existence of transfats. As this was not actually true, i was merely highlighting this to demonstrate the propensity of people to spout off about things.

I eat butter for the record and i dont need lessons about diet. Its also not just 'common sense'. Does one glass of red wine a day harm or help you? Is it less than that or more than that? and for whom? how much red meat is fine per week? what overall outcomes are your criteria for determining acceptable quantities? on what basis? how would you observe the outcomes to justify the guidance? How would you control for red meat consumption with other dietary elements in your dataset? How much milk and cheese makes you fat and how much is good for you? How would you turn this into guidance for working parents of large young families?

Common sense tells you that these things might not be bad for you in moderation but what is moderation and how do you know that its not too little or too much?

Shit, just stocked up on butter!

Dont worry, stuff your face with big steaks, cheese, wine, milk etc. They are all 'wholefoods' so you should be fine.

People never got fat in history, fatness was invented in a Nestle laboratory in Geneva in 1971.

Is that common sense which made you claim factually incorrect details about transfats?

I was questioning your view that spreads are worse for you than butter which you based on the existence of transfats. As this was not actually true, i was merely highlighting this to demonstrate the propensity of people to spout off about things.

I eat butter for the record and i dont need lessons about diet. Its also not just 'common sense'. Does one glass of red wine a day harm or help you? Is it less than that or more than that? and for whom? how much red meat is fine per week? what overall outcomes are your criteria for determining acceptable quantities? on what basis? how would you observe the outcomes to justify the guidance? How would you control for red meat consumption with other dietary elements in your dataset? How much milk and cheese makes you fat and how much is good for you? How would you turn this into guidance for working parents of large young families?

Common sense tells you that these things might not be bad for you in moderation but what is moderation and how do you know that its not too little or too much?

Spot on, particularly the third paragraph.