What's for lunch that's interesting or a bit different and isn't just a ham sandwich or some beetroot

wykikitoon

Why am I not remotely surprised at the location of that bar?

Actually I'm sure theres bars in the town (Beehive, Clock?) that you can get pints for about the same price. £1.50 for a pint of Fosters is still a good £1.49 too expensive mind.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where then? i'm talking about boozers in peckham, herne hill, crystal palace, even tulse hill and west norwood - not exactly the west end.

Another selling point for make benefit glorious nation of Lewisham!

(I get that the implication was "places you might actually want to drink".)

The Model Market? It's summer months only, but yeah. It's not bad if you get in before they start charging for entrance. Obviously pricey, but then they're not after the same clientele as my local boozer with its darts and pool league and wood panelled walls, even though the two are just five minutes apart... Horses for courses I suppose. (And some of the hipster food is fiiiiiine...)

Incidentally, I don't know if you're familiar with it but the globe, the last surviving spit and sawdust pub around borough market, has finally bowed to peer pressure and has been gentrified beyond all recognition. Kind of a shame as its a dying breed. Still can't get a pint there for less than a fiver mind

There goes the Easter bunny. Funnily enough me Dad's mate was on about just getting back from a golfing trip to southern Spain. He was saying he had his usual every night at the restaurant. Rabbit and chips :lol:

Channel 5 showed Watership Down on Easter Sunday and it caused a massive fuss (on social media). Quite funny tbf to the commissioning editor.

Last Sunday at mine was like the sequel, we had to make a story up about the bad bunny rabbit in an attempt to fend off psychological damage to the girl. Who loves Rabbits.

Why am I not remotely surprised at the location of that bar?

Actually I'm sure theres bars in the town (Beehive, Clock?) that you can get pints for about the same price. £1.50 for a pint of Fosters is still a good £1.49 too expensive mind.

£1.70 for a pint of Strongbow in the Beehive. The lager is a similar price.

And yes I know this because I go there quite regularly.

We went to the new place in Whitley bay with a big stone oven, Elder & wolf, for our dinner on Saturday.

Full of people with beards wearing hats indoors.

Whitley bay!

To be fair though, the flat beads were lush and we got loads and it was only a few quid more than feeding the family at the brewers fayre the next day.

Have you got MEATliquor (sic) up there yet? Fucking horrendous Shoreditch hipster wanker vomitorium. Fish probably loves it.

The food is good once in a while, but the music is way too loud and service is generally poor. :cuppa:

Honest Burger, Dirty Burger, Hache :good:

where then? i'm talking about boozers in peckham, herne hill, crystal palace, even tulse hill and west norwood - not exactly the west end.

Can't remember the last time I paid over £5 for a pint. Mind, I don't usually go for lagers, it's all guest ales and IPAs :D

The food is good once in a while, but the music is way too loud and service is generally poor. :cuppa:

Honest Burger, Dirty Burger, Hache :good:

Can't remember the last time I paid over £5 for a pint. Mind, I don't usually go for lagers, it's all guest ales and IPAs :D

Never had you down as a real ale man. Well done.

Never had you down as a real ale man. Well done.

The image people have of me because of this isn't very accurate mate. :good:

IPAs are shite and now totally dominate bars down here. It's beer for people too pretentious to just drink the lager they actually like.

aye :lol:

rejecting mass produced lager and grimly forcing down some locally brewed piss is apparently worth it thanks to the craft beer's quirky names and funky graphic design combined with the sense of belonging to an elite community of hipster connoisseur cumstains

I've drank the odd IPA when I've been in a bar selling it cheaper than mainstream stuff. It's been OK mostly. (Most time they let you have a bit before buying which is alright by me.) :lol:

You can get dark pale ales now :lol:

I thought they were a welcome change when the likes of Sierra Nevada and Goose Island first appeared about 10-15 years ago but it has got silly now. It's still better than it was in loads of bars where you had to pay through the nose for shite lager (I like lager but a lot of it was, and still is, terrible stuff, especially on draught). With ales though I prefer bottles to draught as the latter is often too flat. The connoisseurs would probably be up in arms about that. A nice pint of draught Guinness is lush. A poor one is awful.

I've drank the odd IPA when I've been in a bar selling it cheaper than mainstream stuff. It's been OK mostly. (Most time they let you have a bit before buying which is alright by me.) :lol:

I went to a brothel like that in Cambodia, 10/10, loved it long time.

mass produced lager

:puke:

Can't think of a mass produced lager that I actually enjoy. It's either weak as piss or taste like it's taken straight from the ICI runoff pipes.

Honestly it's a bit cringe worthy ordering a pint of "Pint" or "Man Machine", but even that discomfort is better than forcing down a pint of Carling or Stella.

you can't compare stella to carling man

Well, other than I think they're both rank, I agree. :lol:

Stella's got a really strong chemical taste, for me. Never sure if it's the lager or whatever they've used to clean the pipes I'm tasting

Welcome to my world. :lol:

Kronenbourg and Peroni aren't terrible as far as mass-produced lagers go. Carling and Fosters though, dearie me. Why would you?

Every time someone turns up with a pint of that, My dad will drop the old "like making love in a canoe" Dad-Joke :lol:

Edited by The Fish