How do you rate this transfer window?

Dr Gloom

i reckon that under the circumstances, ashley not putting his hands in his pockets in other words, this was a decent window. looking forward to see ben arfa in action. sol could prove to be an inspired signing if he can stay fit.

not sure about perch but full back was a position that needed adding to, plus he's versatile. i would have liked to see another striker signed, and perhaps another left back.

what do you lot reckon?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say better than expected, Campbells experience could prove valuable as you say its just keeping him fit. Tiote looks a decent dm at a good age too. Gosling should offer something going forward and again a good age. Don't see Pearch as more than a bit part player when Simpson is fit. Ben Arfa, if he plays to his potential, could prove the best deal of the window in the premier league. Been a while since there has been a player like him exciting the fans. Hope Ranger gets a chance due to lack of another striker but unless we unloaded it was never going to happen.

Could have been a lot worse, let's hope its enough

Quite similar. But maybe because my expectations were so low. Then again, realistic. I dont think you can simply measure how you have done by how much you spent? Thats more a pissing contest. Id sooner get the better deals than blow millions way over the odds on players like Man City. I mean look at Sunderland? They were actually one of the highest spending clubs? But Im happier with our lot. Ben Arfa I think could be a great signing if his head stays here, also good that we held our nerve on that one. Dels like Sol and Gosling could be excellent given their value and so on.

Overall, I'm happy with the signings made. I wanted a forward but Im not sure if CH will play Ben Arfa as a forward or just behind Carroll etc. Squad still thin in area's though. I do think its good enough to stay up though.

I was expecting worse and so have been pleasantly surprised. Realistically that was only because I had set the bar so low.

A lot will hinge on how Ben Arfa settles in the side, and whether Hughton plays him in his preferred position and gives him time. Lets also not forget that we're not privvy to the details of his signing. If he has a good season it's hard to see other premier league clubs not being interested given the relatively low price tag for a player of his apparent quality.

Sol Campbell could prove to be a handy player for us, adds some depth and a lot of experience to our backline. Obviously though there's no long term viability in the signing.

Dan Gosling looks to be a handy opportunistic signing, though I'm far from convinced that he will improve our first 11 once fully fit.

Tiote hopefully will add the legs and movement that we've been missing from our central midfield for some time. Like Ben Arfa he'll need to be given a consistent run in the side. Something tells me that Chris won't be willing to drop his old guard from the get go, which could hinder his adaptation to the premier league pace.

The jury is still out on Perch, but even if he does turn out to be ok, as other have pointed out it has seemingly proved to be a false economy signing young or fringe players to fill the right full-back position. We've now got Simpson, Perch and Ryan Taylor none of whom stand out as definitely being of premiership quality. The collective funds required for their transfers coupled with their wage could surely have afforded us a first choice right back who improves our first 11.

Not signing any kind of forward could prove to be a costly decision. I know the plan in a lot of games will be to play a midfielder (Nolan or Ben Arfa I'm guessing) off Carroll, but what guarantee is there that Carroll will be fit throughout the entire season? If he's not the quality drops off sharply. We're putting a lot of responsibility onto Carroll a player who has very little Premier League experience. He seems up to the challenge at the minute, but it's a long season and the better he does the more he will be targetted by opposing defenses, particularly if all of our attack goes through him.

I think the fact that we have quite a few strikers prevented any sort of movement in the market there. Quantity unfortunately does not equal quality.

Edited by OzToonFan

I think Hughton has done very well under the circumstances (bar Perch) .

If we'd have signed Barfa for £10m and Goslting for £7m then we'd be more positive.

Yeah it's all psychology at the end of the day.

Signings

Bafra - 10

Gosling-7

Sol-6

Perch-5

Bafra will be mega as long as he is given the free role behind the striker.

If we'd have signed Barfa for £10m and Goslting for £7m then we'd be more positive.

If we'd signed Gosling (AND Goslting) for £7m, then David Moyes and Bill Kenwright would still be dancing in joy.

I get your point though.

If we'd signed Gosling (AND Goslting) for £7m, then David Moyes and Bill Kenwright would still be dancing in joy.

I get your point though.

:jesuswept:

Peronally i think this window and the last one have been shrewd business and just what we need when we need it, nothing more nothing less.

Perch looks ok and his pace may make up for what looks like a lack of positional awareness. I hope he can forge a goos understanding with Routledge.

Campbell is a good signing, his experience will be important through the tough times and will help bring on the likes of Kadar and possibly Taylor.

Gosling is a good young english prospect, alot to learn but sufficient potential to be a good PL box to box midfielder...being english means a good resale potential too.

Tiote will give us the muscle in central midfield we need.

Finally, save the best till last, Ben Arfa, and inspired signing and just what we need! Not only does he bring the flair and the creativity but options too. Can play off a striker (Carroll - which imo would be 1st choice 1st class partnership) but he offers us options all across midfield.

Very happy with this window but like others another PL striker would of been nice.

Credit where credits due.

I think it was ok, but only on the basis I was expecting nothing much. I was disappointed we didn't bring another striker in (like Keane on loan) at the very least.

shit tbh.

Nothing more than the minimum attempt to stay up.

agree that ashley hasn't splashed the cash that he could or should be.

but given those circumstances that hughton is working under, don't you think he's done alright? i think we were just a couple of signings away from it being a very good window.

it certainly exceeded my very limited expectations anyway.

Signings

Bafra - 10

Gosling-7

Sol-6

Perch-5

You missed out Tiote!!!!!!

shit tbh.

Nothing more than the minimum attempt to stay up.

agree that ashley hasn't splashed the cash that he could or should be.

but given those circumstances that hughton is working under, don't you think he's done alright? i think we were just a couple of signings away from it being a very good window.

it certainly exceeded my very limited expectations anyway.

not really. I know Hughton has his hands tied, and may have done well within those constraints, time will tell on that one, but for NUFC, it is shit. A few loan deals, a crocked Everton reserve, a Notts forest fringe utility player and an over the hill fat 35 year old. Why should you be lowering your expectations ?

Signings

Bafra - 10

Gosling-7

Sol-6

Perch-5

You missed out Tiote!!!!!!

Tiote - 8

Do you reckon Ben Arfa will get that role though, Parky? Just it seems like that's Nolan's role (more or less) and I can't see him being dropped at the minute. I suppose Hughton will 'slowly bed him in' as they say, i.e. hope Nolan gets injured so he can play him there without rocking the boat.

This is when CH is going to be judged. Because he has a alot of hard decisions to make over the next few months. Who does he play, who does he drop etc

I would like to see a starting XI against Blackpool of:

Harper

Perch Colo Williamson Enrique

Tiote

Routledge Barton Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Then would like to see Gosling when fit, and Simpson back in the side.

Smith/Nolan are ok squad players, but Tiote and Ben Arfa can offer so much more to us. Ben Arfa certainly needs to start behind Carroll if he plays Jonas and Routledge out wide. I'd hate to see him leave one of them out for Ben Arfa to squeeze in Nolan.

This is when CH is going to be judged. Because he has a alot of hard decisions to make over the next few months. Who does he play, who does he drop etc

Harper

Tiote

Routledge Barton Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Smith/Nolan are ok squad players, but Tiote and Ben Arfa can offer so much more to us. Ben Arfa certainly needs to start behind Carroll if he plays Jonas and Routledge out wide. I'd hate to see him leave one of them out for Ben Arfa to squeeze in Nolan.

Nolan is going to play, because he is the captain. Nobody leaves their captain on the bench. If he does this, he will have to make someone else captain.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting us to sign more than a couple of "bargains". We've actually got in a fair bit of quality to strengthen the squad. Like Alex said we didn't improve the front line but I didn't expect us to given the amount of bodies we have in that dept.

Harper

Tiote

Routledge Barton Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Nolan is going to play, because he is the captain. Nobody leaves their captain on the bench. If he does this, he will have to make someone else captain.

Look at last season though, Smith was captain but didnt play all the time, especiailly when the Midfield was performing. He NEEDS to leave him out to leave more room for creativity.

Defence - Strengthen factor 6 out of 10*. Campbell brings experience and Perch versatility and pace. Both have drawbacks, lack of positional awareness and fitness being the main concerns.

Midfield - Strengthen factor 8.5 out of 10. Tiote has pace and discipline. He will be deployed with Smith away from home or with Barton. Ben Arfa has creativity and flair, these two combined have moved the squad up a level. Its what everyone has been crying out for and its been addressed. Gosling is one for the future which is great and should be a significant improvement over Guthrie who was our best central mid last season. Also Barton's progress, return to fitness sees us much stronger in the middle of the park this year.

Attack - strengthen factor 4 out of 10, with those 2 of those points based on Carroll's progress. A perfectly legitimate policy imo. Ben Arfa's ability to play off the frontman gives us the other 2 points.

*figures pulled out my arse but based on realistically what we could have acheived in the transfer market.

Harper

Tiote

Routledge Barton Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Look at last season though, Smith was captain but didnt play all the time, especiailly when the Midfield was performing. He NEEDS to leave him out to leave more room for creativity.

Smith was only left out after he got injured. Leazes is right, there's no way Nolan'll be dropped a few games in after he's been made captain. Especially as he's done well and got some goals already. I agree with you fwiw but I suppose a lot of Hughton's success last season was down to team spirit, which was in turn down to having the senior pros on side.