Gazza reveals his regret over St James' exit

shackbleep

PAUL GASCOIGNE admits he can only dream of how Newcastle United could once have been had they not had the tag of a “selling club” in the 1980s.

United supporters were left sickened during a decade that started with the feel-good factor of Kevin Keegan the player leading the Magpies to the promised land of the top flight, but which finished shamefully with relegation.

And big-money sales of Chris Waddle, Peter Beardsley and Gazza hardly helped the cause with a string of Toon gaffers unable to build a team as three players who would be among the elite in world football were flogged.

Newcastle did finish eighth as stars like Gazza began to blossom in the top flight but after making just over 100 appearances and scoring 25 goals in a black-and-white shirt, the Dunston lad was sold.

Gascoigne left Tyneside in 1988 for Tottenham Hotspur for what was then a British record £2m after Spurs pipped Manchester United for his signature.

Looking back, Gascoigne admits the subject still riles him. “The club were getting rid of Peter Beardsley and Chris Waddle during that era and we were all good mates,” he said.

“You had to ask at the time if they were getting rid of players like that ‘where do I stand?’

“We’d finished eighth and didn’t really add to the team.

“For me it was hard leaving my family to go to London, the team at Newcastle was also like a family.

“Stan Seymour was too busy eating cream cakes at the time I think!

“We used to go in and pinch his cream cakes as well.”

Gazza, who was pelted with frozen Mars bars on his return to St James’ Park as a Spurs player, confessed he would have remained a Magpie had the strategy of the club been different and top-class players were brought in like they were years later when Keegan returned as boss. Gascoigne used to clean Keegan’s boots as a player and once infamously lost them on a Tyneside bus.

But he admits it was Newcastle who lost their way 20 years ago.

He said: “We probably would have stayed but it was at a time when the club were selling some of their best players.

“You don’t want to be around when all of the best players are being sold.

“I think everyone in the youth team played a few games at least.

“Maybe some went in too early and weren’t ready for it and were moved on elsewhere.

“Me and Joe Allon were moved on elsewhere as well in the end. But it was at a time when Newcastle were a selling club and me and Joe were sold.”

PAUL GASCOIGNE has revealed his reward for helping Newcastle United win their last FA Youth Cup – a trip to Burger King!

Both Gazza and close pal Joe Allon – who he will team up with for a rare talk-in in Dunston next month – were the stars of the United team that won the 1985 Youth Cup, which also boasted Geordies Brian Tinnion, Kevin Scott, Paul Stephenson, Ian Bogie and Irish goalkeeper

Gary Kelly.

United beat Watford over two legs to pick up the prestigious youth trophy on a night when Hornets supremo Elton John was subjected to a rousing rendition of "Elton, Elton giz a song" by Gazza and his Newcastle team-mates.

Yet in a rare insight to his life as a young player at United, Gascoigne recalls: "I remember coming back on the bus and there was talk of us playing the first team. But at the time on that night after winning the cup, the booze to me was more important!

"We ended up coming back and Jack Charlton looked after us and gave me and Joe a tenner each to go out on the Toon. He said ‘go and have a steak and a few pints!’ but we looked at each other and laughed.

"Of course we ended up having to go to Burger King!"

Gazza was tipped to find stardom by Wor Jackie who once proclaimed that Paul would be the "best in the world one day". And Gazza revealed how inspirational Newcastle icons from the past helped push on the young Magpies.

He said: "We had the great Joe Harvey on our case then and of course Jackie Milburn and Colin Suggett. We got all the way to the final against Watford and me and Joe got a couple each. They were great days."

Allon added: "We used to play Jack at cards on the bus and we ended up beating him for a decent wedge.

"But he still hasn’t paid up!

"That is the perfect scenario to have as many Geordie lads coming through. But I don’t ever see it happening again. The crowd really do thrive on that. The reason is they’re one of us and we’re one of them."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u...72703-27178518/

:jesuswept:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An unbelievable trio and what they could have done for us if kept together.

Where is the next local skill/flair player?

Can you lot get your kids off facebook/xbox and out kicking a ball about please?

I find it hard to believe there were only 4 years between Gazza getting flogged off to Spurs and Keegan returning as manager. It seemed more like a decade in time between those events.

I know, possibly because of my age at the time as well like, but that seems like a lot longer than 4 years.

I find it hard to believe there were only 4 years between Gazza getting flogged off to Spurs and Keegan returning as manager. It seemed more like a decade in time between those events.

Was only 3½ years in truth but I agree with what you're saying.

I know, possibly because of my age at the time as well like, but that seems like a lot longer than 4 years.

When you consider that 4 years ago is when we signed Sibierski on deadline day which doesn't seem that long ago.

Turned off Sky Sports News that day after deciding we weren't signing and got a text off manc-mag later that night saying something about Sibierski. Had no idea what the fuck he was on about as I thought it couldn't be in relation to our signing him.

When you consider that 4 years ago is when we signed Sibierski on deadline day which doesn't seem that long ago.

Very true.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

May 1990 to February 1992, was the longest time ever, between the mackem play off defeat and that 3-0 win against Bristol City. The club was so shit that day when KK came back the UMBRO coat he was wearing the big UMBRO sign and writing were badly fading off. It did seem like 10 years. Fans of today are spoilt.

Less than two years later we were in the Premier League as well. Mental. I think that achievement is why I can't really consider anyone who has a pop at KK as being a proper fan tbh.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Less than two years later we were in the Premier League as well. Mental. I think that achievement is why I can't really consider anyone who has a pop at KK as being a proper fan tbh.

Everyone of them is a cunt, its all clueless younguns though to be fair, kids under 25 who frequent Newcastle Online, and people not from this area. That's not being patronising its a fuckin fact. What they'll never get is KK changed our club like not one other person on earth could, he gave us self belief, and confidence, he raised the stature of the club 10 fold in not even 2 years. You get some younger lads who understand all this because as entwined in the club as what we are, some of them though, their views come just short of deserving a slap imo.

Edited by Tuco Ramirez

Guest Tuco Ramirez
I pretty much agree although I think it's a bit of a blindspot on my part too as I probably overreact to any criticism of the bloke.

Same here. I don't believe anyone who lived through those years in this city would feel any different though. It's people forming opinions based on a lack of understanding of this club, because they're too young to have experienced it or are just wanks.

Don't agree tbh. How's that different to Leazes' defending of the Shepherd years even though they clearly made some mistakes?

I'll always rank Keegan as my favourite manager we've had in my lifetime although arguably Robson was a better one in 96/97.

Don't agree tbh. How's that different to Leazes' defending of the Shepherd years even though they clearly made some mistakes?

I'll always rank Keegan as my favourite manager we've had in my lifetime although arguably Robson was a better one in 96/97.

It came out like a dig at people who've criticised KK in anyway but (as I've tried to explain above) it wasn't meant to be.

I overheard a conversation involving Keith Barratt years ago where he claimed he'd met Gazza and he'd told him it was wages (which I guess is underlined by ambition) - he was on £180 pw at Newcastle and Spurts offered him £1800 pw.

It came out like a dig at people who've criticised KK in anyway but (as I've tried to explain above) it wasn't meant to be.

I know man, we've had this discussion before and tbh I've come around more to your way of thinking about the last Keegan exit. I just think Keegan's strengths are ultimately his flaws too.

I will catagorically state anyone who slates Keegan is a cunt.

I bet nobody in the whole world thinks you're one though. :icon_lol::jesuswept:

I know man, we've had this discussion before and tbh I've come around more to your way of thinking about the last Keegan exit. I just think Keegan's strengths are ultimately his flaws too.

Very true.

My mates down here give me a bit of stick for KK being a "quitter" but for me its just honourable. If things have gone wrong somewhere down the line whats better for the club? Wait to be sacked for the pay off or just admit the job cant be turned around ?

Guest Tuco Ramirez
I overheard a conversation involving Keith Barratt years ago where he claimed he'd met Gazza and he'd told him it was wages (which I guess is underlined by ambition) - he was on £180 pw at Newcastle and Spurts offered him £1800 pw.

Utter utter bollocks. Not the fact you've heard this information. Gascoigne was on £1,000 a week when he left the toon. He was offered £2,600 at Spurs, and McKeag offered him £3,000. I remember it well, they offered him £3,000 just before he'd made up his mind to go, I remember the actual quotes in the Chronicle. Gazza was definitely on 1k a week as well cos he got a new contract when Mirandinha signed.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

My mates down here give me a bit of stick for KK being a "quitter" but for me its just honourable. If things have gone wrong somewhere down the line whats better for the club? Wait to be sacked for the pay off or just admit the job cant be turned around ?

It's a boring media driven nationwide throw away line. I couldn't give a fuck what he did at other clubs anyway, or England for that matter. Keegan to me is the 9 years of his life he spent at NUFC.

Speaking of cunts, I think what galls me is Redknapp has left as many jobs and each time it was abandoning a sinking ship yet he doesn't get labelled a 'quitter'.

Speaking of cunts, I think what galls me is Redknapp has left as many jobs and each time it was abandoning a sinking ship yet he doesn't get labelled a 'quitter'.

Or of course Steve Bruce.