Paul Robinson

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Paul Robinson (footballer born November 1978)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

For other people named Paul Robinson, see Paul Robinson.

Paul Robinson

Personal information

Full name Paul Derrick Robinson

Date of birth November 20, 1978 (1978-11-20) (age 31)

Place of birth Sunderland, England

Height 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)

Playing position Striker

Youth career

1994–1996 Darlington

Senior career1

Years Club App (Gls)*

1996–1998

1998–2000

2000–2003

2002–2003

2003–2004

2004–2005

2005–2006

2006–2007

2008–2009 Darlington

Newcastle United

Wimbledon

→ Burnley (loan)

→ Dundee United (loan)

→ Grimsby Town (loan)

→ Grimsby Town (loan)

→ Carlisle United (loan)

Blackpool

Hartlepool United

York City

Whitley Bay

Torquay United

Horden Colliery Welfare

Consett AFC

Total 027 0(3)

011 0(0)

004 0(0)

003 0(0)

006 0(0)

005 0(0)

012 0(1)

005 0(1)

007 0(1)

031 0(7)

026 0(4)

00? 0(?)

021 0(3)

007 0(2)

165 (22)

1 Senior club appearances and goals

counted for the domestic league only and

correct as of 17:24, 15 May 2007 (UTC).

* Appearances (Goals)

Paul Derrick Robinson (born 20 November 1978) is an English former professional footballer, whose most recent club was Consett AFC in the Northern League Division One. Robinson is a much-travelled player, having featured for no fewer than a dozen teams in his career. Due to his frequent moving, he has only passed thirty league appearances for one club, during his time with Hartlepool United.

Contents

[hide]

* 1 Career

o 1.1 Darlington

o 1.2 Newcastle United

o 1.3 Wimbledon

o 1.4 Blackpool

o 1.5 Hartlepool United

o 1.6 York City

o 1.7 Whitley Bay

o 1.8 Torquay United

o 1.9 Horden Colliery Welfare

o 1.10 Consett AFC

o 1.11 Maidenhead United

* 2 References

* 3 External links

[edit] Career

[edit] Darlington

Robinson was born in Sunderland and began his career as a trainee with Darlington, making his debut, as a late substitute for Robbie Blake in a 4–1 win away to Runcorn in the FA Cup first round on November 16, 1996. His league debut came a week later, this time as a second-half substitute for Glenn Naylor in a 3–2 defeat away to Scunthorpe United. He played once more that season and was a regular substitute the following campaign.

[edit] Newcastle United

In March 1998, Robinson moved to Premier League side Newcastle United, along with teammate James Coppinger as part of a £500,000 deal[1]. He made his Magpies debut on August 7, 1999, as a late substitute for Nolberto Solano in a 1–0 defeat at home to Aston Villa and made his first start in the 3–3 draw at home to Wimbledon later that month. His start in the next game was controversial. Boyhood Sunderland fan Robinson was selected by manager Ruud Gullit ahead of £22million strikeforce Alan Shearer and Duncan Ferguson in the infamous 2–1 home derby defeat against Sunderland. Robinson set up Newcastle's goal, but refused to celebrate it due to his allegiance to Sunderland. Gullit lost his job the following day. After Bobby Robson took over as manager, Robinson played just 11 more times (all as a substitute), but did score his first senior goal for the team in a 2–2 UEFA Cup tie against CSKA Sofia.[2]

[edit] Wimbledon

In July 2000 he moved down to the Championship with Wimbledon for £1.5m[3]. Robinson made just four league appearances in his three years with the Dons, spending time on loan with Burnley and Dundee United before joining Grimsby Town on loan towards the end of the 2001–2002 season.[4][5][6][7]. Robinson re-joined Grimsby for the first three months of the 2002–2003 season, but failed to do enough to earn himself a permanent transfer, after this he went on to play for Carlisle United on loan, before returning to Wimbledon and being released from the Selhurst Park club in March 2003.

[edit] Blackpool

He moved to Blackpool on a free transfer in March 2003 following his release by The Dons, he managed to score once against Notts County,[8]before leaving several months later.

[edit] Hartlepool United

In July 2003 Robinson signed for Hartlepool United, where he scored seven league goals during the 2003–2004 season, three of them coming in a memorable hat trick against his former club Grimsby, during an 8–1 win over The Mariners.

[edit] York City

In June 2004 he moved to York City[9], and became part of a veteran City squad that boasted the likes of Kevin Donovan, and also Paul Groves who had signed him for Grimsby, when he was player-manager at Blundell Park, after the completion of the 2004–2005 season, Robinson was released by York.

[edit] Whitley Bay

In July 2005 he was poised to sign for Ross County[10]. However, he rejected a contract with the Dingwall side and the following month had an unsuccessful trial with Aberdeen, after which he was said to be considering quitting football after becoming disillusioned with the game[11]. In August 2005, he returned to the North East of the England, signing for non-league side Whitley Bay.[12]

[edit] Torquay United

Robinson returned to the professional game, signing for Torquay United in November 2005. [13]. He was a regular squad member for the rest of the season, but was released after Torquay had secured survival on the final day of the season.

[edit] Horden Colliery Welfare

Following his departure from Torquay, Robinson returned north and transferred to lowly non league side Horden Colliery Welfare. On January 8, 2007, Robinson was declared bankrupt at Sunderland County Court, and announced his intention to switch from playing to become a full-time coach.[14] He was offered a trial at Darlington in July 2008.[15]

[edit] Consett AFC

Robinson joined Consett AFC for the 2008–2009 season, but left the club in after the end of the season.

[edit] Maidenhead United

On April 1st 2010, Paul Robinson joined Maidenhead United. He was released at the end of the 2009-10 season

I don't think I've seen a worse cv with more failure.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
I don't think I've seen a worse cv with more failure.

'Memorable' hat trick against Grimbsy mate. Not bad.

Aye scored a fifth of his league goals in one neet of a 13 year career the boy done good. You can just imagine what Wimbledon thought a few weeks after the £1.5m deal. "FFS" he must've realised he was shite the poor cunt. He was literally chased from every where. Highlight of his career was probably setting up Dyer's goal against the mackems. No wonder Shearer and BD were so fucked off.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
I thought it was Des who was shagging Daphne anyway?

Aye it was Des apologies. Leeds Boy Sniffer, you on about how much money he's made, it says in the piece in 2007 he went bankrupt. Poor cunt.

I thought it was Des who was shagging Daphne anyway?

Aye it was Des apologies. Leeds Boy Sniffer, you on about how much money he's made, it says in the piece in 2007 he went bankrupt. Poor cunt.

Couldn't even buy a goal then?

Was surprised when Terry whatshisface bought him for Wimbledon. Great money tbh. Gullit thought he was a better bet upfront than Shearer as well :D Can't say I feel sorry for him for going bankrupt like as he'll have made plenty money out of the game. And he's a mackem.

• 6 months later...
By Tom Adams

(Archive)

On Sunday, Newcastle and Sunderland meet at St James' Park to contest the Tyne-Wear derby. Eleven years ago, the same stadium played host to one of the most notorious incidents in the history of the North East's premier match as Ruud Gullit dropped his captain Alan Shearer. It was a bewildering decision that exposed the poisonous atmosphere surrounding the club, and led to Gullit's departure from Newcastle after they were beaten 2-1 by their local rivals.

GettyImages

Rain poured down as Ruud Gullit's Newcastle were sunk by Sunderland

A tempest of Shakespearean proportions had enveloped Tyneside in time for kick-off on August 25, 1999. With the rain teeming down, the unfortunate soul playing the role of King Lear - exposed in the storm, the inner turmoil of his dressing room played out in the heavens - was Gullit. Despite Newcastle taking the lead, it was almost inevitable that the fates would conspire against him, and just like the best tragic heroes of the Shakespearean tradition, his was a downfall decidedly of his own making.

On that fateful night, Alan Shearer's name was not on the team-sheet pinned to the dressing-room wall. Nor was it on the team-sheet submitted to the referee. This was no administrative error; it was a show of power, and one that backfired spectacularly. Gullit had committed the cardinal sin of crossing a bona fide Geordie hero and within three days he had left his post.

Defeat to Sunderland represented the nadir of Gullit's Newcastle career, but his demise was a death of a thousand cuts, most of them invited by a flawed approach to man-management and an inability to engender respect or affection from his players. Although he did lead Newcastle to the FA Cup final in 1999, only to be beaten by Manchester United, discontent had already become an insidious presence in the dressing room in his first season at the club.

That much was demonstrated by the figure of Rob Lee. An England international and a veteran of seven seasons with Newcastle, Lee was a popular figure among supporters but after being dropped by Gullit and replaced as captain in December 1998, he had only one more conversation with the Dutchman. Lee was more effusive after Gullit's departure, memorably complaining that "Ruud's ego was as big as Amsterdam, and he didn't even try to disguise it".

In a moment of gross insensitivity, Gullit refused to give the midfielder a squad number for the start of the 1999-2000 season and Lee discovered that Kieron Dyer had inherited the No. 7 shirt from a press officer. "I'm stunned and I'm hurt," he said. "I won't be pushed out of this club." Lee would not play for Newcastle again under Gullit, and The Guardian's Michael Walker wrote that the manager's treatment of the player was "politically naive and smacked of pettiness." It certainly set the tone for what would follow in the early stages of his second season.

Stuart Pearce, who moved to West Ham on a free transfer, was another victim of Gullit's clumsy approach, while the perceived bullying of Paul Dalglish, son of previous manager Kenny, helped further foster an air of discontent among the playing staff. With his weekly trips back to Amsterdam, Gullit was hardly cutting a particularly content figure himself and his public criticism of his players was beginning to grate. It soon became apparent that he was also engaged in a tussle of egos with none other than Shearer.

An unhappy team could be tolerated if results were forthcoming, but Newcastle were in sharp decline. A 4-2 reversal at Southampton ensured the Magpies had suffered three consecutive defeats at the start of the season and when asked if he would consider resigning following defeat to the Saints, Gullit replied: "You never know."

PA Photos

Alan Shearer and Duncan Ferguson cost a combined £22 million, but were left out against Sunderland

After losing against Shearer's former club, the testy relationship the captain shared with his manager was dragged even further into the spotlight. Though Shearer, in public at least, was adamant "there is no grudge", experienced Newcastle Evening Chronicle journalist Alan Oliver saw the situation in a different light altogether. He wrote: "[Gullit] has got to bring Shearer into his little group. Newcastle is the biggest city in the country with just one football club. That club is big enough for both Shearer and Gullit. But if the manager cannot see that he may as well carry out his threat to quit."

But Oliver was wrong - the club was not big enough for the both of them. That much was demonstrated when, following a 3-3 draw at home to Wimbledon, Sunderland visited a restless and rain-soaked St James' Park for Newcastle's fifth game of the season.

Exiled to the bench was Shearer - the darling of Tyneside, the man who turned down Manchester United in order to represent the club he loved, the player who would later eclipse Jackie Milburn and become Newcastle's all-time record goalscorer. In a lovely piece of understatement, Sunderland manager Peter Reid said he was "pleased" to see the team-sheet.

Also named as a substitute was £7 million striker Duncan Ferguson, meaning Newcastle's attack was comprised of Silvio Maric - a Croatian who would leave the club after making 12 starts and scoring no goals - and Paul Robinson, whose greatest performances would come at Hartlepool where he scored seven times in 31 appearances in the 2003-04 season. If Gullit was seeking to make a very public point about who held the power in the Newcastle dressing room, he succeeded, but at some cost.

Though Newcastle took the lead when Robinson played in Kieron Dyer after 27 minutes, a bemused home support could only watch through their fingers, and the rain, as Sunderland battled back. Seven minutes before future Wearsiders chairman Niall Quinn equalised from a Nicky Summerbee free-kick, Robinson was replaced, though it was Ferguson who took his place and not Shearer. The captain was finally summoned from the bench in the final quarter of the game but shortly after his introduction, Kevin Phillips scored at the second attempt. Though Kevin Ball struck his own crossbar in injury time, Sunderland held on, and Newcastle had lost the 119th Tyne-Wear derby.

Gullit was unapologetic, and further widened the rift between himself and Shearer with his post-match analysis. "No one complained when we were 1-0 up," he said. "When we put him on in the second half we lost. What conclusion do you draw from that? You saw what happened when Shearer and Ferguson went on. That's when the game slipped away from us, so make of that what you will." That conspicuous bout of finger-pointing reportedly resulted in a subsequent training-ground confrontation with Shearer.

The striker would later admit: "I'd never been dropped in my career before that match so to find myself on the bench for such an important game was a big shock. There was a big possibility that I would have had to leave Newcastle had Ruud Gullit stayed as manager."

But that was never on the agenda. One week after receiving an approval rating of 83% in a local poll, Gullit suffered a slump of Richard Nixon-esque proportions, with 90% of Newcastle fans demanding his removal in the wake of the Sunderland defeat. Three days later, the Toon army had their wish as Gullit fell on his sword, having not so much lost the dressing room as thrown it away with all the care of a recalcitrant litterer.

Gullit's lengthy resignation statement pointed at poor results and, most notably, intrusion into his private life as reasons for his departure, but the only passage dealing with his playing staff was conciliatory, and gave no indication as to the deep-lying tensions that had undermined his efforts. He wrote: "I would like to thank the Newcastle players for their efforts and their professionalism and wish every individual a very fruitful career."

PA Photos

Newcastle did not have to wait long for a new messiah to arrive in the shape of Gullit's replacement

Revisiting his resignation in an interview with the News of the World in 2004, though, Gullit was more forthcoming. "The problem was that he [shearer] had too much power," he said. "In the end, it became a battle I could never win. He was England's favourite, England's captain and he was playing for his hometown team. All of that meant he was bigger than the club itself. I told him to his face, 'You are the most overrated player I have ever seen', but he didn't reply. Maybe that's why they call him Mary Poppins, because he is so innocent, but I know how powerful and ruthless he can be."

In a battle of wills and egos, Gullit had been destroyed. The Guardian summed up the incident perfectly: "If the Labour party manifesto for the 1987 election was the longest suicide note in history, Ruud Gullit's was one of the shortest. 'Sub: Shearer,' it said."

What happened next? Gullit did not return to management until 2004, when he took charge of Feyenoord for a solitary season, and he subsequently had a spell as LA Galaxy head coach. Shearer, meanwhile, cemented his status as a Geordie icon, scoring a record 206 goals for the club prior to his retirement in 2006. Rob Lee was restored to the team by new manager Sir Bobby Robson and spent another two-and-a-half years at Newcastle.

Good read that to look back on, still staggering Robinson took Shearer's place even 12 years after the event. Gullit was a mug looking back but at the time, he still had a lot of supporters even after we lost he got clapped away in the car park when he resigned.

Love the story about how Robinson was scythed down in the box against Sheffield Wednesday in Bobby's first home game. Robinson asked Shearer if he could take the penalty, which considering we already had seven, four of them Shearer's, was a reasonable request. Shearer told him to fuck off. :lol:

I listened to that game on the radio at my Nanna's and then walked home to listen to the second half. It was mental :lol:

I passed a mate on the way and he asked me the score, I told him and he thought I was lying. Mental for Bobby's first home game!

Wednesday thought they had scored the first goal too but it was disallowed.

I listened to that game on the radio at my Nanna's and then walked home to listen to the second half. It was mental :lol:

I passed a mate on the way and he asked me the score, I told him and he thought I was lying. Mental for Bobby's first home game!

Wednesday thought they had scored the first goal too but it was disallowed.

"Petter Rudi" iirc.

Rudi was on after some research but I literally have no recollection of that Wednesday squad outside of Pressman,Booth & Carbone.

Des Walker played that day. I bet he wished he hadn't. Simon Donnelly also played. I quite rated him at Celtic but the jump in standard was obviously a bit too hight. Phil O'Donnell might have played as well in that. I think he died last season. RIP but he was shite.

Rudi was on after some research but I literally have no recollection of that Wednesday squad outside of Pressman,Booth & Carbone.

Des Walker played that day. I bet he wished he hadn't. Simon Donnelly also played. I quite rated him at Celtic but the jump in standard was obviously a bit too hight. Phil O'Donnell might have played as well in that. I think he died last season. RIP but he was shite.

:lol: Wonder if that featured in his eulogy.